Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subiswaps
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Hi,

I sent my 76 westfalia from Montreal, Canada to Subiswaps in San Diego for a subaru tranny and engine conversion.
It's been more than 4 months now and not about to be completed.
I don't want to stress yet at that stage but just want to get some feedback from others just to ease my mind.

Thanks.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Did you hear any news yet?
I suggest cross posting your experience to the Bay Window forum. Some prominent posters live in San Diego and may know of these guys.

'76 Bay
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Thank you Tommu,

At first I got a bit worried, but I received some news lately. The man was just busy and running different project at the same time.
Also, I did not communicate through Facebook but it seems to be a good social media to know about the progress with the company.
The bus would be ready in the next couple of days.
A bit late but still at the beginning of the very short summer we have here in Montreal to enjoy it!
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

4 months? holy crap....

if the stars align I have done 2 swaps in 6 weeks (often not the case, but it does happen)

usual swap time is a month....and that's with a 3-500 mile shakedown before returning the bus to a client.

hopefully you'll be happy in the end. the conversion is worth it!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jbail15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Iíve been talking to David about finding a donor bay bus for remodel and Subaru engine. Any feedback on your experience. Iím a little hesitant because he does not have any reviews on google, yelp, or any place else. I canít find any of his business information as well. Any advise would be appreciated
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

What do you need a donor for? Didn't you ship your bus to him?

EDIT: I think you should write a fuller post in the Bay Window forum. It sounds to me like you're making some substantial decisions and not getting the advise you would with a bigger audience.

'76 Bay
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

I hesitated about giving some feedback as my bus is still over there and been told the engine and trans would be in in the coming days.
It's been 7 months the bus is there.
It seems some parts they create have been received incorrect.
One of the biggest concern is communication, as I always need to ask why and when, and it takes some times to get an answer. And this made me worried, that is the reason why I created this post.
I guess I could write a review once the bus is received here and also after a few weeks driven.
But I will surely post something to let you know when the bus leaves the company.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Still at the shop and not ready 😩
Had to figure out different vacations to go surfing with the kids in August.
Probably use aviation passes to go in OC and pay a visit to this shop.
It just doesn't make any sense 😣
I will try to contact a local club if they are kind enough to visit the shop and see what happens.
Yellowmini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Fokker100, did you get your Westfalia back? Looking to take my VW there....
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

David told me the bus is ready, the remainder of the bill has been sent to me and I asked for photos last week before making the final payment.
It should come shortly so I could say it is nearly over, just waiting a confirmation.
I want to ship it ASAP before the snow here.
Jbail15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Fokker 100 I went to San Diego in July to meet with David. I saw your bus there with the Subaru engine in it. Itís blue with Quebec plates.I asked him wa was taking so long and he eluted to the same issue with parts. Iím having the same experience as my swap is on the 3rd month and the communication has dropped off significantly. Initially he was very responsive but lately no calls back or text. Itís a bit frustrating.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

That is funny, my bus is sage green.
Anyway Dave sent me a picture of the engine compartment as it is finished now.
As the project took some time he gave me rebates and when I asked the final invoice I was surprised to see that he applied all the rebates and that proves me that he follows what he said and he acts honestly.
Now it is my turn to have some delays to send the final payment as I am in a training in Toronto for nearly 2 months and barely have some time to manage this. But will do it probably tomorrow.
Hopefully in a month or so it will be home and winterized Smile
I donít know why communication gets complicated sometimes, I know some guys that will send pictures of a developing project at every steps and it is felt as a super service that the customer truly enjoys.
I think Dave has barely some time with all the projects that come in, and the mechanics issue didnít help, but I am pretty confident of the quality of work.
Jbail15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jbail15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

That must be yours to the right. Itís good to hear hat heís true to his word. More communication would be ideal.
kperloff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subiswaps Reply with quote

SubiSwaps did a conversion on my 78 Westfalen. 2.5 l 2005 outback engine. I also had heat and air conditioning placed. The conversion took 9 months and I have some ongoing issues being worked out. Not living in San Diego is a problem as I would have just brought the vehicle in for servicing. I do have a lift and semi pro garage at my home and have been slowly working out the problems. Would I do the conversion again, yes, but closer to home. I must say however that David with SubiSwaps has been extremely helpful in ironing out issues and sending parts as needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: