Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler tube connection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

I had my tank cleaned, and in the process of putting it back the tube that connects the filler tube to the tank refused to fit. It looks like the PO overtorqed the clamp ring and deformed it.
I found a replacement on Aircooled.net, but the description throws me.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fuel-Filler-Neck-Hose-Inner-Seal-113-201-215-p/113-201-215.htm

Its labeled as an inner seal, while the tube that I removed went around the fill tube and the fuel tank opening (it reminds me of radiator hose). Have I identified the wrong part, or did someone put the wrong part on before me? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Pictures???

That part goes on the steel gas tube, right behind the barb. Then the filler hose slides over that ring to further seal vapor release.

Check out this page.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/index.cfm?type=1

It has a diagram for the parts. Part 33 is the inner seal you have a link to., in your post.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the tube that I removed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It doesn't look like the set up you referred to from Wolfsberg.

Bummer.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

That is the number 34 part.

The part you referencd before was 33, which goes in each end on that hose.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Now I get it. Thanks!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

tthoms wrote:
Here's a picture of the tube that I removed:

Those @%^%$#&#@^## hoses in my 1970 really needed to be 1/2 inch longer, was tough to get them leak free when I removed my fuel tank last year.

Yes - I was too $%&%#%^*&$##^&& cheap to buy new hoses for there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

I did buy new ones for mine and they were too short. So, I over tighten the clamps and guess what, they stretched out. Made that inner rubber band make sense. No leaks for over a year now. Time will tell if I got it figured out.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

seems like as good a time as any to ask this, but is there a reason you can't use one long hose to go from the fuel fill door to the tank? I never really understood the need to use 2 pieces of rubber, 4 seals and a metal pipe when you could possibly just use one big rubber hose. Would eliminate a few points of failure in terms of vapor leaks.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Maybe use some fuel fill tubing from kartek or something.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Gates 23930 or Dayco 80305, 1-7/8" fuel hose (48mm), runs about $45 for a three foot stick.

You can also get rid of the plastic adapter that has the vacuum hose attachment if you no longer use it by using a single length of 19/32" PCV hose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

So, to recap, the replacement hoses from Wolfsberg are the ones to get, or are they too small? I've placed my order already....
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

My 73 has two tubes and in the middle a metal elbow. The filler hole fits on to one tube and the end of that tube fits to the elbow. The elbow then fits onto the other tube and the end of that tube fits onto the tank.

The old tubes has this tiny extra piece of rubber that fit inside the tube and helped seal it up. I didn't use it on the new ones. The tubes should be hard to put on otherwise you might not have the right size. Clamp them up and you are good to go. Fill the tank all the way (top it off) and you will know if it leaks. Carry a fire extinguisher just in case.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

So I recieved the inner bands and the replacement tube from Wolfsberg West. Comparing the new tube with the old one, I noticed a problem.

I double checked the part number, and according to the website, the new part is the "correct" one. I didn't feel like cutting into it, so with the new bands, I made the old one work.

I also added a rubber fitting to the filler tube opening. It doesn't fit quite right, but that could be personal ineptitude on my part.

I've put a gallon in, and I'll see what happens tomorrow after the battery charges.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Put the new tube in a vise and take a hacksaw and cut very slowly. The slow race wins here. Even a wood saw will work. These are not banded with metal.

The issue with your old tube is, if you take it off and look, the ends will be cracked. I can see the age from the cloth band around it. You either replace it now or soon. It's really up to you. Probably with the new bands you were able to tighten it down a bit more. You really won't see any issues until the gas is sloshing around in the tank and some of it sits next to the entry so it times to work it's ways through the cracks.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Hello, I recently bought two of the hoses and cut each to juuussst over half to make both sided of the metal elbow. I used a exacto knife to make a clean, easy cut. No leaks.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Gates 23930 or Dayco 80305, 1-7/8" fuel hose (48mm), runs about $45 for a three foot stick.

I'd have to go outside to check which I used, but I also used one hose from the filler to the tank. That piece is a bitch to cut with the metal bands, but I've never had a leak from that hose in about 8 years...
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

When I first replaced those hoses on my 69, they came from WW as 2 separate ribbed hoses. They lasted about 10 years before I started smelling fuel and changed them again. This time WW sent that single hose that you have to cut in half. Works fine and no more fuel smell.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Sounds like I have an appointment with a hacksaw. The old tube is holding for now. I'm going to have to disassemble the whole gas tank assembly to repaint the inside of the bonnet in about 6 months. I'll make the change then.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

Yes, you need to cut that hose in half. Easy with a utility knife with a NEW blade. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the outside as a reference line to cut to.

Change that old hose. The hose fails from the inside out. After you have replaced it, cut it in half lenght wise and bend it against its inside curve. You will see the fissures that are present and soon will leak, with our highly aggressive fuels out in the marketplace.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler tube connection Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Yes, you need to cut that hose in half. Easy with a utility knife with a NEW blade. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the outside as a reference line to cut to.

Change that old hose. The hose fails from the inside out. After you have replaced it, cut it in half lenght wise and bend it against its inside curve. You will see the fissures that are present and soon will leak, with our highly aggressive fuels out in the marketplace.

Bought a kit from MidAmericaMotorworks, same deal. One small stick of hose, cut it in half. Though I dislike the unnecessary multi-piece filler neck set up and will be replacing with the one piece of Gates hose mentioned above this summer.

Also, far far far before that old hose starts leaking liquid gas, it will become gas permeable. No good for your health.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: