Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Registration opened this morning. We have 75 slots available.

Google forms this year while we upgrade the server (site is down). You have to pass an arithmetic test.

Discounted registration through Monday morning I think?

For the new folks, all vans and skills and souls are welcome at the Solstice
There are a bazillion trails for every driver and van and skill, and a beautiful community that is warm, welcoming, and experienced to lead you through them.
And great food. And good, good people too.

See you there! Any questions?

https://goo.gl/forms/pdIaduDlq7z2MKDp1

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Registered! Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Sorry we wont make it this year Johnny...

I missed being there last year too - bummer.
I was looking forward to flipping pancakes!

Incredible place!

We will hopefully make it next year with the new rig, if the community will have me(?)
It's still German, a van, and 4wd Twisted Evil

-Chad

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

One less registration available...Now to make it there!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
Sorry we wont make it this year Johnny...

I missed being there last year too - bummer.
I was looking forward to flipping pancakes!

Incredible place!

We will hopefully make it next year with the new rig, if the community will have me(?)
It's still German, a van, and 4wd Twisted Evil

-Chad

Come on man?! Your family is really missed when you take your adventure elsewhere! Can we sweeten the deal somehow?

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Just about half of the Slots for Syncro Solstice 18 sold over the weekend. Somewhere under 40 left, and the price bumps up tonight at Midnight.

Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

I'm registered. 'Looking forward to another great SS. I was just down in Moab last weekend and it was a zoo--the line going into town was 1/4 mile past the bridge. All kinds of new hotels being built.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Done!
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Signed up, but just for Sat. night. Gonna go check out Overland Expo, next year I intend to be there as a vendor with my new line. Hate to miss most of Solstice but business is taking precedence, too bad these are always on the same weekend.

The main reason for coming to Moab for the last night is to hook up with some folks to do the Rimrocker Trail.

Details here:
http://rimrockertrail.org/

So putting the word out here, anyone who wants to do the trail, adding an extra night or two to your Solstice holiday and finishing at Montrose, CO, we'd welcome you to join our posse. Plan and provision accordingly and contact me anytime up to Sat. night, we'll try to have a brief logistical meeting then. I dunno, could be the first group of Syncros to do the route!

No PM's here, email to [email protected], or come find me Sat. night at the camp.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

I had a hall pass to go with is year again, then I had to go to England for a funeral Sad
That blew out my time off, and $ for the trip.
Enjoy guys

619 201 0310
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

We're going to miss you Mark!

The Rimrocker Trail looks fantastic. But how do I finagle that Monday off from work...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

Chris C.
I looked through the link to the RR trail (and a bit of googling) but not sure if this is doable with a 2wd Westy. Thoughts? It looks great, and might sway me to bring the Syncro vs the 2wd Westy...
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

It would be great if you joined us, Darren, but I don't have much info on difficulty. Best I can gather the route overall is rated easy/moderate. Simple answer is bring your Syncro!

At 160mi. total, as you might guess most of it is graded dirt road. If you look at the interactive map, there are numerous shortcuts and bailouts so it's not necessary to do the whole thing. I've read the whole route description on the official site and they barely mention difficulty. I know the middle part around Nucla and up above Uravan has the roughest and steepest sections.

I did just now find this page:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1843-rimrocker
(login req'd)

It has a lots of details, photos of intersections and waypoints, etc. Here's their summary of difficulty:
"Technical rating: (1-5) Easy-Moderate
Rutted and/or rocky road. No shelves. Rocks up to 12" and water crossings up to 12" with possible currents. Passable mud. Moderate grades to 15 degrees. 6" holes. Side hill to 20 degrees. 4WD required. No width problems."

And this site has an account of doing it from the middle (Nucla) out in both directions on separate days.
https://traildamage.com/reports/rimrocker_trail-161014/

They don't even mention difficulty. They have about a million photos there, too, nothing they show looks to present any challenge to a 2wd, but then they might not have stopped to take pics of the rougher parts. It sure looks to be gorgeous country.

My feeling is you could easily make the whole thing, and we'd be there to help if there's any difficulty.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

I'm registered. Looking forward to it.

The Rimrocker route looks like a good way to start heading back to Colorado. I'll come along if you'll have me.

Dave
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

I am thinking of going on the first part of the RR trail. 2WD with Peloquin. Have to be in Denver on Monday so will not be able to do the whole length. Talk to you at SS. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Spit balling...how far out does the rimrock throw a family off course of the South Utah parks? After last year's turbo fiasco, the wife says "I'm not missing the parks this year" she's worried that the rimrock will make for some Syncro carnage, in the same conversation she also says "we should do Hells Revenge" I love my wife!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Spit balling...how far out does the rimrock throw a family off course of the South Utah parks? After last year's turbo fiasco, the wife says "I'm not missing the parks this year" she's worried that the rimrock will make for some Syncro carnage, in the same conversation she also says "we should do Hells Revenge" I love my wife!

Check out the RR site. The trail starts in Moab and goes east into Colorado so you would miss all the South Utah parks I believe.

The Western Syncro build
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17 - 20th Registration Reply with quote

[quote="tencentlife"]Signed up, but just for Sat. night. Gonna go check out Overland Expo, next year I intend to be there as a vendor with my new line. Hate to miss most of Solstice but business is taking precedence, too bad these are always on the same weekend.

I too will be at OX! I'm one of the motorcycle coaches. I'll be super busy all weekend but I'll come find you. I'll be in a white Westy parked in the staff camp.

Tobin
I sure was hoping to make SS and try to talk somebody out of their Doka! Twisted Evil
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
The Rimrocker route looks like a good way to start heading back to Colorado. I'll come along if you'll have me.

dobryan wrote:
I am thinking of going on the first part of the RR trail. 2WD with Peloquin. Have to be in Denver on Monday so will not be able to do the whole length. Talk to you at SS.

Dave and Dave, we'd be delighted, of course! John K. will also have his 2wd with TBD. Vickery, you been Syncro-tised yet?

There are printed maps of the entire route available. I called Montrose (970-497-8558), a very nice woman there told me the maps are very detailed and she would gladly mail me copies (I asked for 2). The maps are also available at Moab Visitor Ctr. and at Nucla-Naturita Visitor Ctr. And of course all the GPS sets are there on the site.

vanatic wrote:
I too will be at OX! I'm one of the motorcycle coaches. I'll be super busy all weekend but I'll come find you. I'll be in a white Westy parked in the staff camp.

Hey Tobin, I'll be Thu. and Fri. nights in the general camping, just a visitor this year but as I said, I hope to be a vendor next year. Silver Syncro tintop. I'll keep an eye out for your rig.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Vickery, you been Syncro-tised yet?

Yep, I still have my '89 Syncro Westy clone. Hard to believe, I've had this van 4 years now. Man, time flies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: