Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Chris,
Count me in for the Rimrocker trail.

Matt
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Chris,

I'm all signed up for S8 and fully intrigued by the Rimrocker Trail! Thanks so much for sharing it!

I have a 2WD Westy with an open diff. I also have a giant recovery strap and recovery points on my RMW bumpers Wink. Since S7 I've replaced my saggy springs and gone from stock wheels/tires to 205/70/15s. So I have a ton of ground clearance and suspension travel, but I'm worried about traction if there are any really gnarly bits.

My plan is to try a few challenging-for-open-diff-2wd trails on Friday/Saturday. Depending on the % of the time I spend on the end of my recovery strap, I may try to join you guys on RR. I'll sync up w you guys Sat night and figure it out then.

Thanks again!
-Andy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

I'm in, thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Registered. See you Friday Night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
Chris,
Count me in for the Rimrocker trail.

Matt

Good deal, Matt, it's practically on your way home!

Quote:
My plan is to try a few challenging-for-open-diff-2wd trails on Friday/Saturday. Depending on the % of the time I spend on the end of my recovery strap, I may try to join you guys on RR. I'll sync up w you guys Sat night and figure it out then.

Thanks again!
-Andy

We'll be glad to have you in the crew, Andy, just let us know.

Joe & Ron, not sure if you mean you want to do the RR too, and you don't have to decide 'til that weekend anyway, but we'd love to have you!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Joe & Ron, not sure if you mean you want to do the RR too, and you don't have to decide 'til that weekend anyway, but we'd love to have you!

I'm in for the RR trail, I was able to extend my time off a day. There are several good articles about it out there and it looks like fun!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Excellent! You can pay me that drink you owe me for not stopping by my place!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Excellent! You can pay me that drink you owe me for not stopping by my place!

Busted...Done! Two drinks.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

15 or less spots left for anyone still on the Syncro Solstice fence. I expect it will be full by the end of the weekend. Looking forward to the best Solstice yet!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Slate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Got signed up last Saturday so plan on getting in Friday after leaving Fort Collins Thursday afternoon and stopping in Rabbit Valley at Jouflas Campground for Thursday night. Hopefully we'll remain in the area for several days after the event before taking a slow, wandering drive home.

Since we don't use Facebook and the "server is down" we are real short on information about what to expect there. I see that this is a dry site so expect that the closest water refill would be in Moab, not that we should need a refill. Is this correct?

All we really know is what we were able to gather from the registration and notes from past events, but unfortunately past events mostly deal with trail information/photos, not camp info.

Any expectations on when the "server" might be back up.

Slate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brautigansbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing you all there! I'm rocking a stock 84 Wasserboxer Westy, we shall see how it does. Happy trails!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Slate wrote:

Since we don't use Facebook and the "server is down" we are real short on information about what to expect there. I see that this is a dry site so expect that the closest water refill would be in Moab, not that we should need a refill. Is this correct?

All we really know is what we were able to gather from the registration and notes from past events, but unfortunately past events mostly deal with trail information/photos, not camp info.

Slate

Lone Mesa campground is dry, so if you run short on water, you'll have to either get it from Moab or the Shell station at the 191/313 intersection. Or, the Vanagon next to you probably brought extra!

The campsite is big and wide open, so it's susceptible to wind, rain, and whatever else the desert throws at us. In each of these, we've had everything from 90 degree days to 50 and rain, and everything in between. Mostly, though, it's just gorgeous.

The camp has pit toilets, which are clean but, well, they're pit toilets. The cool thing is that there are no roofs on the toilets so you can stargaze...

Camp is usually pretty empty during the day, as Vanagons are all out doing Moab things, whether that's taking a drive to the winery, hitting 2wd and/or 4wd trails with our intrepid guides, hiking, mountain biking, exploring Canyonlands and/or Arches, hunting for petroglyphs, bumming around Moab, etc. There are usually a few who stay in camp for the day to help out or to nap in a poptop with the desert breeze...I've been guilty of that on many occasions.

After dark, expect a downright overwhelming number of Vanagon technical discussions and travel stories around one of several fires that are usually going.

Paraphrased: It's fun and the people are cool. Expect to find kindred spirits and to create new and lasting friendships. (Sappy, perhaps, but this is a pretty unique event.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

I’m in for RR. Will be there Thurs, maybe Friday. Safe travels!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Anyone else mountain biking while at SS2018?*

Looks like my brother-in-law and I will be leaving Thursday morning and biking Fruita on our way in from Denver. Likely 18 road trails, Zippity Doo Dah, PBR, and Joe's Ridge.
Porcupine Rim on Friday or Saturday. Not sure on what trail the other day yet. Perhaps Mag7.
Hoping to have time to hit Kokopelli trails on the way back on Sunday.**

*This post is not intended for the guy who biked his own Porcupine Rim shuttle from the SS campgound and back 2-3 years ago. No way am I going to keep up with that!

**Yeah, can't get Monday off to do the Rim Rock Trail. I'll get there eventually but will have to enjoy Chris' trip report for now.

-Darren
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Getting to Moab Wednesday afternoon. Any other early arrivals?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Leaving Denver very early Thursday morning; hoping to arrive by lunchtime. I had hoped to leave Wednesday but I can't miss one of the kids' orchestra performance.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Can’t join Rimrocker with my 2wd, but looking for some MTB partners. Raoul, perhaps I can join you for Porc Rim goodness.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Making final preps now!

Should be there Thurs. night or more likely on Friday.

Leaving from Fort Lauderdale, Florida up through Georgia, Tennesee, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado where stopping off to pick up a trailer.
At least it will be empty going across the Rockies!

Looking forward meeting everyone!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Leaving from Fort Lauderdale, Florida up through Georgia, Tennesee, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado where stopping off to pick up a trailer.

Looks like you've got me beat for longest distance to the Solstice. Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Anyone else mountain biking while at SS2018?*
connorsvw2 wrote:
Can’t join Rimrocker with my 2wd, but looking for some MTB partners

I'm totally bringing my mountain bike!!!...But I'm a terrible mountain biker. You're welcome to join me until you get sick of watching me chicken out and push my bike over stuff & it won't hurt my feelings if you ride off into the sunset without me Wink If you want to chat, I'll be in the white Westy with black wheels and an old metallic-tangerine Cannondale Prophet hanging off the back.

Big Mesa trail starts at the campground. Last year I rode Big Mesa + Ramblin' (out-and-back), and it was spectacular slick rock that blew my mind and I loved it!

This year I'm interested in trying a pretty epic 17.6-mile loop that circles our campground called "Navajo Rocks Chaco Loop" (it's Big Mesa + Ramblin' + Rocky Tops + Coney Island + Big Lonely) All these trails have good info on the MTBProject app and the portions I saw were well-marked.

My plan is:
- Wednesday duck out of my work in downtown Denver at 3:30 or 4:00, drive to Colorado National Monument and camp.
- Thursday drive through Colorado National Monument, maybe bike some of the easiest-rated sections of the "Lunch Loops" outside of Grand Junction, and then drive to Moab via Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway that Johnny suggested in his email.

LMK if anyone wants to try to meet up! See you all there! SO STOKED!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: