Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Yeah MTB'ing!
Veloandy/Connor, Porc Rim is pretty long and can be brutal, we can discuss at camp if you think you want to give it a go. Brian and I will be paying for a shuttle when we do go, so worth it. Showers at the bike shop too.
We are in a brown/white top 84 Westy with a green Ibis and teal Salsa on the back.

If anyone ahead of my departure Thursday morning has a mechanical West of Denver, post here. I have spares of pretty much everything, we'll see what we can do to get you going.

Darren
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

You Vanagonsters get around. I'm '95 Eurovan Winnebago, so not quite cool enough to join, but I like the Rimrock trail. One wheel drive Eurovan is ok with traction ramps. Had it on the Swell last week. Have fun.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Veloandy,
I’m in GJ and will be leaving somtime Thursday. I would be up for a scenic drive over to Moab. I’ve done John Brown canyon outside of Gateway, CO. It takes you up over the north side of the La Sals and drops you into Castle Valley. Easy drive and 2wd friendly.

Matt
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

See you there! Any questions?

Hey Classicvibe, I sent a PM about a 3rd passenger being added late to my van. Still openings available for a passenger?
-d
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Leaving from Fort Lauderdale, Florida up through Georgia, Tennesee, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado where stopping off to pick up a trailer.

Looks like you've got me beat for longest distance to the Solstice. Laughing

There's a woman driving a Ford Transit en route from Vermont!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

On the mountain biking, last year I took my now 12 yo daughter biking on the trails around camp that were fairly technical and lots of moon dust. They were way too difficult for her and it resulted in lots of tears, temper tantrums, and walking the bikes. My daughter was upset, too. Very Happy
Need to set the bar lower this year, it took her most of the year to want to go biking again...
Does anyone know a good "family-friendly" easy downhill trail that has shuttle service and no more than 2-3 hours that is mostly scenic and fun? Also, anyone interested in joining us?
Thanks! See you this weekend!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:
On the mountain biking, last year I took my now 12 yo daughter biking on the trails around camp that were fairly technical and lots of moon dust. They were way too difficult for her and it resulted in lots of tears, temper tantrums, and walking the bikes. My daughter was upset, too. Very Happy
Need to set the bar lower this year, it took her most of the year to want to go biking again...
Does anyone know a good "family-friendly" easy downhill trail that has shuttle service and no more than 2-3 hours that is mostly scenic and fun? Also, anyone interested in joining us?

The Bar M loops. Start with Easy and Lazy. Not far from camp either. Out and back, not downhill or shuttleable. Short, sweet, and fun without much climbing at all.
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/624376/bar-m-loops

-d
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Anyone leaving from the Denver area this Wednesday morning and want to caravan?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:

We might! We're looking to rent bikes this year after last year's "frequent remove bikes from the hatch" trip. My wife is novice and is easily intimidated so something like that sounds good. I had heard that part of PorcRim trail is easy and shuttle able. Does any one know more.

Were traveling from Oregon is anyone else?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:

The Intrepid trails at Dead Horse Point S.P. is a very mellow ride with great views, and it's very close to camp. Several Solstice kids have ridden there successfully.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5083590/dead-horse-point-tour

dkoesyncro wrote:
My wife is novice and is easily intimidated so something like that sounds good. I had heard that part of PorcRim trail is easy and shuttle able.

I don't know what part of Porcupine Rim would be considered easy, but I'm as novice as it gets and have only been there once. Let's meet up at camp and I'll regale you with the story of Syncro Solstice 1 when I rode that trail with a bunch of thankfully very supportive and compassionate advanced mountain bikers/Vanagon owners. I think the PTSD has subsided enough that I can talk about it. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Quote:
My wife is novice and is easily intimidated so something like that sounds good. I had heard that part of PorcRim trail is easy and shuttle able.

Joe is right, Porc Rim is a bad idea from the info you give on your wife. I can think of a short section way uphill of the Porcupine Rim trail (part of "The Whole Enchilada") that is doubletrack and somewhat easy but not worth the long drive to do it.

-d
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Porc rim is definitely not for novices. I’ve ridden it for almost 20 years and it is still a challenging blast. Bar M system is great for beginners; beginner-intermediates may like the Klondike North area. Most everything else in Moab is black or double-black diamond.

The Navajo Rocks system right out of camp is a nice intermediate system as well. Across the street (313) the Mag7 system is also great, but definitely intermediate to advanced IMHO.

My favorite continues to be Captain Ahab, but for advanced riders only.

Looking forward to seeing and riding with everyone!
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:
Quote:

Joe is right, Porc Rim is a bad idea from the info you give on your wife. I can think of a short section way uphill of the Porcupine Rim trail (part of "The Whole Enchilada") that is doubletrack and somewhat easy but not worth the long drive to do it.

-d

That may have been it. I got an overwhelming amount of information from a machinist in West Jordan SLC. I showed up before opening on a downhill bike with an exhaust manifold in hand! Kind fellow though and knew a lot about bikes!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Well...3rd glitch of the road trip.
At 07:12 the vdo oil guage started climbing up from 32psi in a to about 45psi within a few minutes.
The 2nd glitch was that the oil pressure was below it's usual 32psi at various times and then back up to 32.
Pulling into a rest stop on I-75 it dropped to 0psi at idle.
The mechanical oil guage I have in the engine compartment is showing solid 10psi at idle so I'm assuming bad vdo sending unit.

The 1st glitch was realizing I forgot to put the lower grill back on...Dumb-ass! 😂😂😉

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Slate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

Heading west today around noon out of Fort Collins over Cameron Pass and then to Rangely. Different route with new country for us, at least after Meeker.

Wife like's to play house at camp so with ARB room on awning, road trips from camp become difficult, so towing a Sidekick for exploring the canyon lands and wanted to avoid Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass. Also, this route is slower than I-70. I tend to run to fast on the interstates...

Looking forward to seeing everyone there for our first Solstice and hope to get there tonight, but it'll be late if we make it today.

With the top off the Sidekick I might be coerced to provide shuttle service for 2-3 bikes so don't be bashful about hitting me up. Any excuse for the road!

Slate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

dgbeatty and I made it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First ones.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

I'm going to miss tonight's arrival. 😢
I should be there by Friday night.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 ~ Registration open Reply with quote

We're in Price grabbing a bite before we arrive! I'd like to thank Matt, Kate and Axil of Pioneer Wagens for allowing us to drop in and let us crash last night. These guys are developing goods that will further the Syncro and it's potential, simply amazing!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Mrs. Howesight and I are going to have to sit this Solstice out (illness in the family) but wish all of you folks a great time. I will be watching for pics.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2018, May 17-20 Reply with quote

Raoul, what are your riding plans on Sat?
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: