Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

two mangobuses home 2258 miles later
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you made it home okay. Good to see you and meet Adam. The shop photos came out well. I'll have the materials for project "cyclone" back in my hands soon and I'll bring them to OCTO/Classic. Once in your possession, your filtering ability should be adequately aplified for the dusty trip home.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, glad you guys made the trip with no problems.

Thanks for sneaking Jen and me into KP too. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Great photos, glad you guys made the trip with no problems.

Thanks for sneaking Jen and me into KP too. Smile

cool, lets just keep that on the down low. I sure wouldn't want the whole world to know that.

actually it was just getting in early. one of the perks of sponsoring the show, you get in before the general swappers. actually come to think of it, it is the only perk for sponsoring the show.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sponsoring the show....what did that take Lind? I remember going to Kelly Park for three years and it seemed like we didn't get in until 10am, and we were swapping! After the '98 f*ck story, I haven't been back!

Looked like a good trip, wish I would have took the right seat......

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Sponsoring the show....what did that take Lind? I remember going to Kelly Park for three years and it seemed like we didn't get in until 10am, and we were swapping! After the '98 f*ck story, I haven't been back!

Looked like a good trip, wish I would have took the right seat......

the invite was there. we had a great time. next year, drive your barndoor down and we can make a bigger caravan out of it (that is if you can handle driving slow with stock hieght buses)

it was $150 to sponsor the show and I split it with a freind. this year, they seemed to have it a little more together getting cars into the show. everyone who camped out was able to get in fairly quickly after the gates officially opened at 8am. the ggcvvwca club members rolled in about 6:30 and the sponsorers right after that.

what was the '98 story?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '98 story, we had a 5 bus caravan from Spokane, well one bus was out within the first 90 miles. We hit snow around Bend, Oregon, one bus said f*ck it and headed back home (500 miles into the trip?). In the snow storm at night, I lost a gen. brush, bottom one of course. Fixed that in the cold snow, no heat and no wipers....I was in the mango std. sunroof and I don't know what I was thinking.

So the three buses made it to the show, lined up at 4am and didn't get in until after 10am.....WTF? No matter what gate I went to over the three years, the other gate went first....why couldn't both gates go???? I imagine they got things worked out better now, but what a joke.

My barndoor is ready (in spirit) for a Classic caravan....how about it Lind???

--
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

My barndoor is ready (in spirit) for a Classic caravan....how about it Lind???

hell yeah, I'll even come up and help you turn wrenches on it to get it going. we have a few buses lined up already. by the time we are done, we will be ten buses strong rolling into brick tops place friday night. (five committed so far)
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 buses committed, who? Sing it sister.....

Oh, and if you come up to turn wrenches, you're doing the narrowed beam and I'll take the photos......

--
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
5 buses committed, who? Sing it sister.....

Oh, and if you come up to turn wrenches, you're doing the narrowed beam and I'll take the photos......

Adam, '60 standard
Jay, '67 westy
Dustin, '67 deluxe
Jay, '64 westy
Lind, '61 standard

I have been kind of waiting to publicly announce it here in the forums, but here is the initial announcement: (in a few weeks, I will start a new topic on this)

road trip to the classic. leaving the wenesday before from idaho and oregon picking up buses along the way. driving through portland and down an occasionally coastal route. who else is up for the trek?

if working on a narrowed beam is what it takes to get that barndoor of yours on the road, I am ready to do it. its not like it will be the first custom barndoor that I have worked on this year. I worked on Troy's '52 in january and I am sure he is going to dump it. as much as I don't like lowered buses, a lowered bus that is on the road is better than a halfway dissasembled one languishing in the back corner of a garage.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...it's on! I won't put you through the narrowed beam shit, just install my safari's....

--
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Okay...it's on! I won't put you through the narrowed beam shit, just install my safari's....

I like the sounds of that. are they early or late BD safaris?
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My safari's are the repops out of England back in the late '90's. They were the ones in Chris' '54 Kombi, the one we got hit in on the way to Camberg '99, that got parted. The frames are okay, glass was wasted so I need new glass.

--
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I would be so down for the Classic trek!! Especially with you guys! But Amber and I might be hot on the trail of our first house...so that's a biiiig financial if right now.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
NorCalNick
Ain't yo baby daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to get a Caravan leaving Modesto CA thursday morning. Ive got about 5 Forsures and a hand full of maybes. Its not all busses and with more cars = more problems.

Yall are welcome to join.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Damn, I would be so down for the Classic trek!! Especially with you guys! But Amber and I might be hot on the trail of our first house...so that's a biiiig financial if right now.

-Taylor

its only a long weekend and you can camp in your bus the whole time. you could probably do the whole trip on $200.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: