Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included) Reply with quote

I thought of a refurbish on them, but pics don't do justice. They really need replacement. I did see some that look like mine, but have a black and chrome mix, which are nice looking. Not sure yet. But i do like the feedback and tips for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goodsofar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included) Reply with quote

After reading opinions here about duals vs 4to1 I went with Myers Manx Sidewinder.
I never see it recommended here so maybe there's some down side to it, but I like the look and the sound.
It's pretty quiet at light throttle and sounds great when you push the go pedal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
my_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
As you can see from the pic, I need to replace these.

I do not know where the PO bought them. Going on my fiberglass dune buggy, 1600cc engine. Any suggestions appreciated. Not looking for over the top price, but something reasonable.

Thanks,
Mark

I got mine from jcwhitney, but that was about 10yrs ago. The brand name is Thunderbird Exhaust Products. At the time they were part of pertronix. Here's a PDF link to their '06 catalog. It's on page 9. http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/tbird/tbird_2006.pdf

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included) Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’ll be the dissenting view on the exhaust. I had a 4-1 merged header and hated it. I don’t care if I’m losing a little bit of horsepower because I hated burning myself everytime I tried to fiddle with the timing or adjust the carb. Plus it coils up right in front of the pulley so trying to use a timing light is next to impossible with the merged header.

I wish S&S was still around as they offered a merged header with pipes that curved forward then swept back to exit out the rear similar to bazookas but lower. . Made for a bug, but think would have worked on a street buggy just fine. Found a used set out of California but were beat up and the guys was trying to charge $150 for shipping. Still thinking about going to a local muffler shop to see if they can cobble me something together that’s similar.

I too refuse to put a bobcat style exhaust on my Buggy for all the reasons stated above plus I think they are ugly and cover up a nice looking engine.

I think dual cannons are really the correct look for a vintage buggy and I do like the sound as long as they have some muffling. That said I own two sets of dual cannons and here is my experiance:

Sand rail - 1600 single port stock carb and dual cannons. Runs just fine and sounds great, don't miss the low end power as this car is light and is used only for trail riding.

Manx copy - came with dual cannons and Kadrons - ran like crap - 2 cylinder idle, pop, fart and stumbled at all throttle settings less than 50 mph. Far too loud on the highway! Changed it to a 4 into 1 Bug extractor with a muffled stinger - smartened it right up! Runs pretty good at all speeds now, good bottom end for sure but cannot see any gain at the top end over cannons.

Down side - tripping over the stinger is an issue, poor ground clearance coming out of parking lots over curbs etc. Looks wrong and sounds wrong(personal thing).

To me the worst possible combination is the dual cannons with dual one barrel carbs. Just not possible to get running right!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I buy these - pipes - (pic included) Reply with quote

Thanks all for comments and suggestions. I will post what I end up doing ... probably within the next couple of weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: