Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

I would like some input please. I have a 1990 Vanagon Carat which I absolutely love and am not getting rid of. Now my question is should I get a 1993 Eurovan 5 cylinder 5 speed manual transmission with 169,000 miles. This van would be used for my Heating & Air conditioning company and will be driven daily 100 to 200 miles a day. I do all my own work on my Vanagon and with help from the Samba members it makes it fairly simple to maintain. So would I be happy with a Eurovan? Thoughts please.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

Seems perfectly plausible. Do you have pics of the van in question?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

A 93 5cyl, 5spd, yes. Can change the timing belt without engine disassembly, on a pretty reliable engine. 5spd transmission is nearly bullet proof, and the electronics are not too complicated. Tons of cargo space with the rear seats out. Don’t pay too much. Still has its own batch of common issues to learn.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661014
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

If those miles are freeway mostly, it’s easy to change out 5th gear to a taller ratio. Can do it with the transmission in place. Either a .756 or .710. Stock is 4th gear 50mph at 3000rpm and 5th gear 60mph at 3000rpm. .710 is 70mph at 3000rpm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

vanjoe wrote:
I would like some input please. I have a 1990 Vanagon Carat ... ... would I be happy with a Eurovan? Thoughts please.

If you're just using it to haul items for jobs, why not get a middle-aged Ford, Chevy/GM, Crysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc etc van that's not known for tranny problems. I've been using an '87 Vanagon Westy for years for daily driver and camping, and had come to think maybe it was time to get an EV-- get the crash protection/brakes/airbags, etc. I found a EV Winnie at a very reasonable price, bought it, love the full-highway-speed capabilities, but am not sure it's a better vehicle for me. I'm doing a few needed things to it and probably will list it for re-sale. A tape measure shows that the cubic volume of the two is almost identical. I do like the furnace, but I could mount a propex in the Vanagon if I want heat during camping trips. But for non-campers, I see no reason to change to a EV.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

5spd manual is not known for tranny issues. Once in long whiles someone will break a 5th or reverse gear. 5th due to power mods and torquing it at low rpms. Reverse for obvious reasons. You can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood vertical and horizontal. Low bed height.

People mistaken the 93 to have the problems the later models have with the drivetrain, but it’s very different.

Last edited by Joshwa on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

I can say as someone who has primarily used my seven VW vans as stuff haulers, the T4 is far and a way the most versatile interior of any for that purpose. The early models with manual trans are probably the most reliable vans VW ever brought over here. I wish they had stuck with the five cylinder (albeit with incrementally more power over the years) throughout the model run. A turbo AAN or AEL would be a nice powerplant for these rigs.

y u rune klassik?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

No.

You're proposing putting 25-50K miles per year on a 25 year old vehicle, that is already creeping up in mileage, as a work vehicle, and relying on this forum as a knowledge-base?

Hell no.

Buy a domestic van, Transit or a Sprinter...something where parts, or service and repair can be obtained/completed on the same/next day.

I don't think electrickery works that way
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I test drove the van today that I was looking at. The Eurovan is definitely not for me. There is no comparing it even close to a Vanagon. I will stick to getting another Vanagon as soon as I find the right deal on another Carat.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

Well isn`t that interesting. Smile I own both. I enjoy both but they`re both very different machines. While I thoroughly enjoy the T3s, my own daily is a T4 DoKa. I would drive it across the continent in a heart beat.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no comparing it even close to a Vanagon.

Correct
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To Eurovan or not to Eurovan is the ? Reply with quote

You can lead a lamb to slaughter, but you can't make 'em squeal like a pig...wait, what?

Ok, try this...

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

― John Lydgate

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: