Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

panscraper66 build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

well finally loaded up the bug from my pops house and brought it home! since i got it here and ill be changing some things up on it i figured id start a build thread to share the progress.. as of now its bone stock.. minus those 8 spoke that are gonna have to go and ill be picking up some stock smoothies.. i believe this car has a 1300cc although im not 100% positive.. shopping around for another motor.. found a 2135cc but i dont think i need that much..i think a 17 or 1835 would be best fit.. i did order some limebug stand off 1 piece deck lid hinges and a 23" bus shifter for the car.. also will be trying to find all the holes for the chrome trim around the whole car since my pops bondo'ed it up.. really wish he didnt primer it either but it is what it is.. the car used to be a super light yellow.. the first plans for the car are:

6" or 7" beam.. havent decided if i wanna go with air ride yet but i might, disc breaks, get the trim molding on and get the sunroof put back together and take the padded dash off.. list is a lot longer but thats what im gonna set my sights on first.. clean some stuff up and lay it on the ground.. here are some pix on how it sits now.

rust free!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motor size ?

idk why but i cant stand these wheels

sunroof

bug is clean inside and out.. def a nice starting point

Last edited by panScraper66 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

saw a video on youtube of a guy using this stuff on his bus to remove primer.. so i decided to try it out.. and it worked pretty well.. no crazy fumes.. just brushed it on for 5-10min and the primer came right off.. said you can leave it of for 30min or 24hrs depending on what you want... this picture was 10min.. just put another test section on the fender and going to let it sit for 30min and see what it does.. this stuff may come in handy.. best part is it smells like oranges lol
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

That body looks about ready for top coat? Why remove the primer? Other than the new carb, that engine is looking very much like a stock '70 (gen stand, air cleaner), which would have been single port 1600 - if I'm not mistaken. What is the serial number on the block - look just under generator stand.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

ya it was prolly pretty much ready to be painted.. but i think i want to do a patina paint job on it and i dont think i want the grey primer coming through.. i may not strip the whole car.. really just wanted to see how this stuff worked and to see the original color.. this paint stripper works well taking down the top layer.. did the fender and let it sit for about 20 min and it came off without issue..

heres a picture of the motor.. with the numbers.. my dad said it was a 1300cc but i thought 70s came with a 1600.. unless the OG owner swapped motors.. my and my dad were looking at old photos of when we first bought it and it was cool to look back on how it was.. cant believe we bought it in 1998 lol

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Nice bug 😉
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Lack of engine code on the case means either it's a replacement, or possibly a type 3 built into a type 1. Get the biggest engine you can afford, you will not regret it. Once you get a smaller engine and drive it for a bit and get used to the power, you'll be back on here asking about how to get more out of it Laughing

I speak from experience Twisted Evil
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:
ya it was prolly pretty much ready to be painted.. but i think i want to do a patina paint job.

Be careful with faux patina paint jobs, there is a fine line between lookiń good and looking like crap
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Get the biggest engine you can afford, you will not regret it. Once you get a smaller engine and drive it for a bit and get used to the power, you'll be back on here asking about how to get more out of it Laughing

Thems wise words!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Lack of engine code on the case means either it's a replacement, or possibly a type 3 built into a type 1. Get the biggest engine you can afford, you will not regret it. Once you get a smaller engine and drive it for a bit and get used to the power, you'll be back on here asking about how to get more out of it Laughing

i thought it was missing some numbers.. we got it from the original owner.. but its been so long i cant remember if he told us anything about the motor.. been keeping my eye out for motors for sale.. so far all ive found was monster built motors or the smallest was a 2135.. which was actually a awesome price and newly built.. guy needs to fund another project so its up for grabs.. so ill lookin into that.. but i also think a 18 or 19 sized motor would be a perfect size to if i can find one
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:
ya it was prolly pretty much ready to be painted.. but i think i want to do a patina paint job.

Be careful with faux patina paint jobs, there is a fine line between lookiń good and looking like crap

thats another reason why i want to bring it down to the original paint.. to see what i would of been working with first.. ive saved a lot of pictures to look at and give a good idea of what im looking for.. will probably take some places down to bare metal and let it turn naturally and paint other sections, then fully paint and wet sand down to bring out the other laid colors in areas..
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

little more paint peeling today while the daughter is sleeping... found out the car was a darkish blue at one point in time.. my dad was surprised to.. i am finding all his old bondo work thought lol.. i know this car never had any huge body damage or rust so im pretty sure this bondo is just covering up some tiny dings that would of easily been tapped out.. having fun bringing the OG bug back out
seriously like 20min and this door went from primered to unprimered.. 20$ well spent on this stuff.. they had a spray version to.. not sure if it would be the same or not.. the stuff in the bottle is thick like gel

i got some parts on the way so hopefully this thread gets a little more interesting soon
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:

They are a period piece. If you were in Ohio I'd be over tonight to take them off your hands. When I got them home I'd paint the spokes gold! Lol. Love those things.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:

They are a period piece. If you were in Ohio I'd be over tonight to take them off your hands. When I got them home I'd paint the spokes gold! Lol. Love those things.

i dont know why i dont like them.. maybe just because they have been on there for so long already i just want a change.. but i like the old school smoothies with no air vents.. and the big dome caps...

its funny how things change with time.. when i was a kid i wanted this bug cal-look style, one piece windows, some fancy wheels, tinted windows, shaved everything lol.. soo happy all that didnt happen.. now i just want it close to original with a few extra touches and low to the ground
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

new shifter came in today.. installed pretty easy.. might take a little getting used to.. seems like the throw is shorter now with the longer shifter.. gotta charge the battery to give it a test drive

panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

been searching craigslist and offerup for parts lately.. ended up finding a set of 1963/64 fenders and the dude was 20 min away so i went and scooped them up!. they need a lil work but nothing to crazy.. its gonna be nice to have the headlight style and tail light style i want..

FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Very nice bug to start with. Good luck .....
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

FaanP wrote:
Very nice bug to start with. Good luck .....

thanks!

i also finally got all the primer off the bug and got the sunroof installed

and my stand off deck lid hinges came in the mail from limebug

gotta love harbor freight, picked up a 7pc hammer and dolly set to remove some dents and so far im diggin it.. i forgot to take before pictures but here are some after pictures after i straightened out a part of the 63' fender corner

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Hey we just got that same hammer and dolly kit from HF too and are having fun with it. Old dog with some new tricks now Smile

Congrats on the nice set of early fenders. That shifter is wacky! It reminds me of the ghouly t-bucket hotrod stickers and bubble gum cards we`d get as kids, if you know, you`ll know. Have you ever driven with it? I`ve never seen anything like it in real life. Was it made for a bus? Very interesting. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

I'm interested in the shifter. Is that from a 60-65 bus? Expensive?
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

thanks guys! ya its a empi bus shifter 23.5" and its around 80$.. you can find it in the 70$ range to.. its for a 1959-1979 Bus.. the ball that goes into the shifter column is longer then what it is on a bug, the shifter comes with some spacers since different year buses had different length shafts.. so you can use the bigger spacer that comes with the shifter.. its like 3/4" or so.. but i had once of those empi quick shift spacers and its the perfect size so i just used that as the spacer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: