Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

panscraper66 build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:
now i just want it close to original .....

Yes, sure :
- Smoothies instead of slotted wheels.
- Patina paint job.
- Non stock shifter.
- Larger engine.
- After market steering wheel.
- 6" or 7" narrowed beam.
- Low to the ground.
- Conversion to disc brakes.
- Air ride
That's very close to stock in my opinion. Very Happy But I must be very drunk to think or say something like that.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:

Yes, sure :
- Patina paint job.
- Non stock shifter.
- Larger engine.
- Low to the ground.
- Air ride
That's very close to stock in my opinion. Very Happy But I must be very drunk to think or say something like that.

Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Slammed, patina, roof racks, etc? I dig the trend and it calls to the vintage feel (i.e. a psuedo stockish) rather than the modern cleanliness of the Cal Look.

Nevermind, let's not hijack Panscraper's thread with philosophical meanderings... I'll start one on it and drop a link in a minute.

Edit: distraction continued here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8750488#8750488
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:

Yes, sure :
- Patina paint job.
- Non stock shifter.
- Larger engine.
- Low to the ground.
- Air ride

lol smart ass if i have to go into detail on the meaning well then.. im not trying to restore back to factory stock.. i want the body to be stock, like non cal look, no crazy modifications to the body.. i have the original steering wheel, my pops put the other one on for some reason.. early bugs came stock with smoothies...everything else is just add ons
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

door hinge pins removed, just purchased the new hinge pins with threads for the side mirrors.. they only had 2 hinge pins in stock and one was over sized so im going to have to take a few 0.001 off.. ill post some pictures of the process in a few, gotta go pick up some nuts to screw on the pins so i can tap them in with a hammer so i dont mess up the threads.. i used a air hammer to remove the stock ones
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

can anyone tell me if this is about as far as the hinge pin should go in? (just to the top of the grooves on the pin) or should it sit flush?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also kinda messed up on the passenger side.. i forgot to shave a little bit off of it before installing like i did on the driver side.. and it got stuck about half way in and is super tight.. door creaks when opening.. really not sure how im going to get this one out.. may need a bigger air hammer
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

nevermind on the above question.. i just knocked the hinge back out, sanded down a little more of it on that last 1/4" of it and it went all the way in..

although i totally messed up the passenger side hinge trying to get it back out.. it was stuck good.. way to tight the door barely wanted to open.. so ill have to buy another hinge for the passenger side.. lesson learned on that one.. sucks the place i got them at here in socal (car craft) it was the only 2 they had in stock so ill have to order one and wait for it to come in this time..

panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

tried out a little testing with the patina painting.. ive never done it before so its def not the best.. ill most likely go back and sand a few more areas.. it was fun doing it though, going to be interesting doing the whole car.. lots of hand cramps...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:

That turned out really well. And I love the color.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:

That turned out really well. And I love the color.

thank you! i feel like i have to bring out more browns on the top of it so its not so patchy or busy.. i think it will be a little funner to do a bigger spot like the doors or the hood or deck lid.. might pick up some lighter browns to.. i need to find a yellowish brown.. the main color is krylon satin jade green
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:
i feel like i have to bring out more browns on the top of it so its not so patchy or busy.. i think it will be a little funner to do a bigger spot like the doors or the hood or deck lid.. might pick up some lighter browns to.. i need to find a yellowish brown.. the main color is krylon satin jade green

I think you are close. You need to have longer areas of the "rustyness" along the hard bends. Like where the water runs to, pools up, then drops. Also, the patina is influenced by the sun the piece receives. The sunny side of the car receives the most damage, where as the shaded side has very little. I would guess that the sun breaks down the paint. The paint fractures and fissures are created. Water then enters and the oxidation begins.

Those bands of dark are on the flater sun facing sides, so the top of that license plate light would be completely rusted with light spotted rusting on the face, heavier on one side.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
panScraper70 wrote:
i feel like i have to bring out more browns on the top of it so its not so patchy or busy.. i think it will be a little funner to do a bigger spot like the doors or the hood or deck lid.. might pick up some lighter browns to.. i need to find a yellowish brown.. the main color is krylon satin jade green

I think you are close. You need to have longer areas of the "rustyness" along the hard bends. Like where the water runs to, pools up, then drops. Also, the patina is influenced by the sun the piece receives. The sunny side of the car receives the most damage, where as the shaded side has very little. I would guess that the sun breaks down the paint. The paint fractures and fissures are created. Water then enters and the oxidation begins.

Those bands of dark are on the flater sun facing sides, so the top of that license plate light would be completely rusted with light spotted rusting on the face, heavier on one side.

right on thanks for the input! ill do some more sanding on the top to bring out more brown, and make sure to tie it into the deck lid when i do that
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

I have my decklid up and out of the way right now, due to the engine build currently going on, but I will try and get it down and post some pics for you. After work tomorrow, if my day goes smoothly!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

well some good news coming! my 2017 lund bass boat just sold so parts are going to be shipping in! its going to be hard to not go all out but im sure the wife is going to make me do some adulting lol..

but so far parts list im lookin at are going to be

> VW Engineering air beam
> so far i think im liking Dubair (dubparts) for their control system unless someone else has another good option..
> Fresh Kustoms rear irs weld in drop plates
> and was looking at airkewlds rear irs bag kit or dubonair's bag kit (they look to be exactly the same but different price points)

But Dubparts.com has limebug bolt on rear bag kit that looks pretty nice to so i may go that route..

if anyone has any info or other parts they think would be better then whats listed above please let me know..
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Oh Man, this thread just took a hard right turn! Lookout

(But... I'd have stored that bass hunter for you. Give it a run once in a while, just to keep it fresh)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Oh Man, this thread just took a hard right turn! Lookout

(But... I'd have stored that bass hunter for you. Give it a run once in a while, just to keep it fresh)

haha ya its def bittersweet to see it go, it was a hard decision for sure.. i still have my float tube so that will work but it def wont hold all my gear i bought to fill the boat lol.. but i have another daughter due in july and my time with the boat just wont be there.. and i figured if im ever going to sell it better be while its still brand new so i can get as much $$ outta it as i can lol
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

ok so i finally put the bug on jack stands to prep it for the new suspension that will be coming in.. going to take off the arms, clean them up and repaint them.. and most likely replace ball joints ect.. anyway.. i test fit one of the 1963/64 fenders.. fits perfectly but i did noticed something i didnt before.. i wanted the earlier bumpers and found the new brackets to make them fit.. but realized after the new fenders were put on.. the bumper mount holes go away.. sooooo does this mean im going to have to replace the apron to be able to fit a bumper? idk why this didnt cross my mind before.. on the plus side i do like that these early fenders are about 1 3/4" or so wider then the stock one, def happy about that

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Its more than just the apron, there are bumper mounts that are on the inside of the early front clip. A repro early front clip is 200 in the classifieds, a little more new. Used as you can find them. I'm debating options on this as well for a back-burner bug that I am amassing parts for (sshhhhh, she's just behind me here). Its a 70. I have the early fenders and bumper, and staring at it too working the puzzle.

Best I can figure is to (1) weld up the horn grill and cut slots for the late to early brackets or, (2) replace the clip or, (3) there are some bumper brackets that bend under everything and come up to take the early bumper. Here is a link to those:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-707-136-067

In another thread someone poo poo'd those having seen them on a bug somewhere but I have not been able to find any pictures of how they actually look when mounted. I might decide to try them.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Its more than just the apron, there are bumper mounts that are on the inside of the early front clip. A repro early front clip is 200 in the classifieds, a little more new. Used as you can find them. I'm debating options on this as well for a back-burner bug that I am amassing parts for (sshhhhh, she's just behind me here). Its a 70. I have the early fenders and bumper, and staring at it too working the puzzle.

Best I can figure is to (1) weld up the horn grill and cut slots for the late to early brackets or, (2) replace the clip or, (3) there are some bumper brackets that bend under everything and come up to take the early bumper. Here is a link to those:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-707-136-067

In another thread someone poo poo'd those having seen them on a bug somewhere but I have not been able to find any pictures of how they actually look when mounted. I might decide to try them.

right on.. ya those brackets that go underneath might end up getting a good scraping from the pavement lol.. i was looking at the bumper mounts on the inner fender wall.. and it looks like i would be able to drill through the inside and be able to bolt it on like a early model if i replace the clip... really dont want to cover the horn grills or cut into the early fenders.. never replaced a apron either and im sure its time consuming... options are limited though..
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Like where the water runs to, pools up, then drops. Also, the patina is influenced by the sun the piece receives. The sunny side of the car receives the most damage, where as the shaded side has very little.

This.

The PO parked my bug in SMALL carport next to a garage and so the right side stuck out more which is the same side that is rustiest right on the main trim line and bottoms of the windows
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper70s build thread Reply with quote

panScraper70 wrote:
i was looking at the bumper mounts on the inner fender wall.. and it looks like i would be able to drill through the inside and be able to bolt it on like a early model if i replace the...[apron]..

Game changer right there Panscraper. An early apron and some longer bolts? Easy peasy. I'm replacing my apron and tire well floor anyway.

Check this out, fifteen bucks for an early inner bumper bracket retainer. I wonder if we could weld this right onto the inside? Here's the link.

https://raybuck.com/product/1950-1967-volkswagen-b...and-right/

EDIT: Early apron will require an early hood. So... maybe the easiest solution is to weld on the early bumper bracket retainers inside the tire well (or use longer bolts and drill access to the original mounts) and just cut the holes into the apron like the early aprons have to put the early brackets through. That would save the hood purchase. It would also allow overrider support bars too (I'm going with towel racks on mine)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: