Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buried in cardboard spam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

My wife has been buying shit pretty much nonstop via Amazon. This was her latest purchase:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A 3.7 quart air fryer. This thing has almost as much displacement as my Beetle and my Bus engines combined (3500cc vs 3600cc), and my wife said she was glad she didn't get the big one Shocked

This is the packaging that the thing came in:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like a cardboard spam version of Russian nesting dolls. Why?
My recycle can holds approximately 3 million gallons (exaggerating, but only slightly), but still cannot keep up with this kind of corrugated paper explosion. To cope with my cardboard decadence, I've been dragging piles of cut up pieces to the mother-in-laws unoccupied house 20 miles away. If that fails to reduce the heap I'll be relegated to heaving crap over the fence into quadrants of the neighbors back yard that I'm sure they have never been in decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Burn it in the BBQ pit. Take your wife's prime account away from her.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

I have noticed that sometimes Amazon ships a small item in a huge box. I can only surmise that a computer program is determining that by using a certain size, shipping is cheaper (small is not always cheaper if the sizes don't pack well in a pallet/container).

Maybe I am giving them too much credit though!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

I have a friend who sells cardboard boxes for a major supplier.
He must have a wonderful commission situation because he just retired at age 62 and bought a new house, a big-ass pickup, and already has booked a trip to Alaska, a Caribbean cruise, and a week in Grenada for this season. Oh, I forgot----he bought another house that he "rents" to his adult son.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Time to buy stock in "Trees" ... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

It's not just Amazon that does this, it is almost any large on line seller.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Your wife's Amazon shopping spree is about to end. President Trump is now forcing legislation for all mail order companies to collect State & local sales taxes.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Your wife's Amazon shopping spree is about to end. President Trump is now forcing legislation for all mail order companies to collect State & local sales taxes.

Quote:
By the end of last year, Amazon was collecting sales taxes in 29 states and Washington D.C. Since that list included all of the largest states, that meant it was effectively collecting sales tax from 86% of the nation's population.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

GOOD! Why should these online retailers get to reap the rewards of higher sales just because the buyers evade paying taxes on the goods that they purchase? Maybe, if people have to pay the taxes AND shipping, they might start supporting their local businesses more.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

GOOD! Why should these online retailers get to reap the rewards of higher sales just because the buyers evade paying taxes on the goods that they purchase? Maybe, if people have to pay the taxes AND shipping, they might start supporting their local businesses more.

X2 I don't like paying more, but I do like supporting local businesses. I'd rather go down the street and pay a buck more than wait for amazon.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

so...does amazon have vw stuff Confused Idea Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

It's amazing what (mis-)information you can learn on Faux News.
Trump is going after Amazon to get at Bezos because he doesn't like all the truthiness of The Washington Post. The rest is just distraction and fakery.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

There is usually tax on anything I buy from Amazon. Few exceptions.

Amazon gets great shipping rates because of their volume of business. Anyone else with that volume would get the same deal.

I use Amazon because of fast shipping from Amazon Prime. I used to prefer local stores, and still do as long as they earn my business. It's not Amazon's pricing, but their service and ease of return that makes me a customer.

All too many local stores feel they have the privilege of poor customer service just because they are local. Sorry, a bad seller is a bad seller, whether local or far-flung. Neither get my business.

Good locals are preferred, next is Amazon Prime.

Costco gets my business for the same reason. No BS from Customer Service. They get it.

Most don't, and are disappearing. Good riddance.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Eventually, you'll get to enjoy nothing but big box stores that only employ part time workers for minimum pay that can't afford to pay the going rates for housing & taxes, then as they "clutter up" the scenery, the people that still have money or those government pensions will get fed up supporting them & move on to communities with lower taxes & cheaper land. Those people will then vote for the same policies that made them want to escape from whence they came.

KTPhil wrote:
truthiness of The Washington Post.

Laughing You're just drinking the Kool Aid of a different flavor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

The only retail store I enjoy shopping at is LLBean. The staff is knowledgeable, often older folks who know what they are talking about.

Their no-questions-asked return policy has been ruined by a-holes getting getting old crap at Goodwill and yard sales and returning it for cash, but they'll still take anything back with a receipt.

I was there once with my jacket that had a broken zipper. A little old lady took it out back and sewed a new zipper on it in about 20 minutes. No charge.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so...does amazon have vw stuff Confused Idea Wink

I bought the KYB shocks for the 69 Bus from them. I needed them *now* and no one local had any. VW specialty retailers were going to take 3-6 days to ship.
Amazon was there the next day.
And at the cheapest price.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Eventually, you'll get to enjoy nothing but big box stores that only employ part time workers for minimum pay that can't afford to pay the going rates for housing & taxes, then as they "clutter up" the scenery, the people that still have money or those government pensions will get fed up supporting them & move on to communities with lower taxes & cheaper land. Those people will then vote for the same policies that made them want to escape from whence they came.

If the mom and pop stores don't serve their customers, then they deserve to go under.

Like I said, it's not about price, "its the service, stupid." I pay more for local if they do right by me, and that will keep them gainfully employed.

I'm not a charity, this is democratic capitalism, and if they are not measuring up, then bye-bye.

TDCTDI wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

Mission Accomplished for these on the right who want to create false equivalences in order to discredit real investigatory media. But some of us are educated enough to tell the difference.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Recycled cardboard is worth about $140 a tons the last time I checked.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

Meanwhile, back on topic... to clarify what I was driving at, it may be cheaper to ship boxes that fit into a whole pallet, rather than have a collection of odd sizes that don't fit together well.

I am imagining (perhaps too optimistically) that Amazon has some algorithms in its boxing machinery that account for most efficient packing of standard sizes. That one larger box might cost 10 cents more, but if the collection ships for a dollar less, then it's more efficient.

"Filling out the cube" with dead space may seem like a waste, but if no more can fit there anyway, then the "larger boxes that fit together well" may be cheaper to ship as a set than an oddball collection of smaller boxes.

I still find redundant packaging annoying. We recycle about 80% of what comes into the household (our trash pickup makes it easy), but the actual item packaging (not shipping packaging) often seems to be made of non-recyclable materials... odd plastics, stickers galore, weird foam without the recycle triangle... that seems to be more of a waste since it goes to a landfill.

What's interesting is there were news reports that Amazon may take over the actual shipping themselves, and not just with drones. Are they buying planes and trucks? Time will tell...
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried in cardboard spam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

KTPhil wrote:

"Wal-Marts" business philosophy from the "Get-Go."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: