Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LT wheel cylinders
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Does anyone know the facts, I'm interested? Im going to rehab my rear brakes and am curious if these cylinders fit the 14" brakes. I've read a lot of comments of folks using them, no details though! One comment said the slot was to large for the male end of the shoes. That's what I got...kinda lacks substance!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

I don't know the facts, as in the differences between the LT/Vanagon's rear wheel cylinders bores, stroke, orifice sizes, fitment, etc. But I do know that brake components like wheel cylinders that literally determine the rear brake pressure profile are extremely precisely matched. Putting a rear brake cylinder in from another model vehicle is a total crapshoot, unless (such as may be the case here with the LT/Vanagon) it is the same rear wheel cylinder by coincidence.

So, I would urge you to purchase new Vanagon wheel cylinders rather than experiment with a random wheel cylinder.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

They are one inch bore.

Only useful really with bigger front brakes.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the fast response...
I am running larger brakes, girling60 with 288 rotors with BMW booster. This alone was a marked improvement but now it's time to give the rear some attention.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Buy some, install and report back! Wink
Or you could go all out and replicate the Syncro 16" rear brakes, which are LT, although this will most likely be expensive as the parts are scarce.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

John has used them on his personal van and they are in his catalog. He also has semi metallic rear shoes which get good reviews .

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SS-Rear-Wheel-Cylinder-1972-92-Type-2-p/211-611-047f-ss.htm
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
John has used them on his personal van and they are in his catalog. He also has semi metallic rear shoes which get good reviews .

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SS-Rear-Wheel-Cylinder-1972-92-Type-2-p/211-611-047f-ss.htm

Just bought them!

Thanks for the post, been wanting to try these for a while
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:

Just bought them!
Thanks for the post, been wanting to try these for a while

Please report back after you get them installed. Be interesting to find out if you can tell the difference.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Buy some, install and report back! Wink
Or you could go all out and replicate the Syncro 16" rear brakes, which are LT, although this will most likely be expensive as the parts are scarce.

That's what I did. Got the bearing housing and the backing plate (as well as a pair of 16 inch trailing arms) used from Oberschlachter in Finland. Bought the rest new. Also installed 312x25mm discs in the front. And the brakes feel great. Even with 245/75R-16 wheels I can easily lock the rear wheels on dry asphalt with the hand brake.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LT wheel cylinders Reply with quote

I got 25mm LT wheel cylinders on ebay from a seller in Latvia or Poland can't recall. Came in under $60 shipped for a pair. I also bought semi metallic lined performance brake shoes from a vendor in LA, and Zimmerman rotors. I'm going to arc the shoes to the new drums I have access to an arc machine.

I'm hoping that rear upgrade balances well with 312x25 slotted rotors and G60 calipers with Hawk yellow ceramic pads. Using Epytec adapter brackets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: