Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you collect?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanzer
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: What do you collect? Reply with quote

[Original spam post removed]

Admin note: The OP is a spammer and has been banned, but this thread is active so I'll leave it.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Use to collect a lot of things, coins for over fifty years, guns, VW toys and air cooled emblems/badges, pretty much all gone now except the emblems, have about eighty different ones, age and minimalism took over.

At an average of 6 ounces per bottle that is about 23 gallons of flammable liquid you have collected, oh well if your house ever burns it will sure smell good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Cars, Surfboards, books, Electric trains, musical recordings= vinyl, reel to reel cassette, CD's.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Star Wars stuff, but I've sold a bunch off and am no longer enamored with the franchise.
so, not collecting anything really.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Crap. Crap this fills up my garage. And house. Most of which takes up space and is rather useless (except for VW stuff.). I have very little VW crap.

Crap fills up a lath house in the back yard. A contractor is coming today to give us a bid on completely removing the lath house and its collection of crap.

The last kid moved out 8 years ago but we still have the two kids' rooms. Filled with their crap. A notice is going out this summer for them to either clean it out or we will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

used to collect vw toys. accumulated a bunch and used to do well selling them at vw shows pre internet. Then after the internet went crazy i would take them to the shows and some people who couldn't control their kids would then let the kids come take toys and start randomly playing with them. That's when i stopped selling them at swaps. I still have some left but have not bought any in years. Also was collecting rare 8 tracks when i had the under dash player in my old square back. I had jazz, blues, reggae, punk but sadly i kept the player but sold off all of the 8 tracks when i sold the square. Wish there was an under dash 6 volt 8 track player i could put in the bus!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Don't confuse collecting with hoarding. The older I get the easier it is to throw shit away.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Don't confuse collecting with hoarding. The older I get the easier it is to throw shit away.

ditto
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Used to collect golf balls from every course I played, which is quite a few.

My dad had a collection of tools - not just one saw, etc. but 7 saws for example. Then he died and we had an auction and I watched as people went in different directions carrying off the stuff he used to collect and own.

I quit collecting anything after that.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Vinyl. Been snapping it up since it was trash (as in literally people were putting it out on the curb on trash day) and much cheaper than CDs. Now it's the bees knees again and I've been selling doubles and triples and albums people are paying stupid prices for to fund house and VW projects.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The digs are much harder these days, I don't like to buy anything if it's more than $5, unless its a brand new release from a band at a show or something. However the dollar bins yield some amazing stuff that the kids these days are not interested in. Been scoring a lot of old jazz records in really good shape as well as international/world music for next to nothing lately.

OP: tell me you have some VW Avon cologne bottles....they DO exist you know....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Avidly Collecting:

Souvenir spanking paddles from the 60s. Yes, I said it. They were basic, often plywood and always painted with two colors of simple graphics and a saying. It started by being raised avoiding;
"For the cute little dear with the bear behind."

Now I've got or was gifted;
"Board of Education- Applied Psychology"
"Heat for the Seat"
"Fanny Whacker- For folks who swear or bottoms bare"
"Board of Correction- may be used on any child from 5 to 75"

Why so detailed? I'm hoping anybody with more of these who finds them just as horrible will contact me of course! Cool

The multitude other collections probably are best described as hoarding.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

Spanking boards my A$$, razor strap, hair brush and the nearest length of Willow, who had time to fetch a board.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Spanking boards my A$$, razor strap, hair brush and the nearest length of Willow, who had time to fetch a board.

These were not used be an angry parent, these were used in the schools, usually by a certain administrator, to apply the attention getter. The wait for the punishment & the reentry into the classroom was usually the worst part.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Avidly Collecting:

Souvenir spanking paddles from the 60s. Yes, I said it. They were basic, often plywood and always painted with two colors of simple graphics and a saying. It started by being raised avoiding;
"For the cute little dear with the bear behind."

Now I've got or was gifted;
"Board of Education- Applied Psychology"
"Heat for the Seat"
"Fanny Whacker- For folks who swear or bottoms bare"
"Board of Correction- may be used on any child from 5 to 75"

Why so detailed? I'm hoping anybody with more of these who finds them just as horrible will contact me of course! Cool

The multitude other collections probably are best described as hoarding.

My mom was an elementary school principal for decades, retired many moons ago. She has hanging in her garage two personally used school paddles. I'll try to remember to get a pic for you. I think one has writing on it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

I collect rusty old VW buses, or they seem to find me.....

I did collect toys, had to do a 12 step program to stop that crazy addiction...

Hitest, next time a I see a "spank'en paddle" I'll grab it for you & SLAP it in the mail... Wink

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Collect? I got my kids into matchbox cars, ho trains and slot cars for a while. Used to collect coins as a hobby, and now collecting money for retirement funding.

Last edited by my59 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

Back to the original question - pop bottles / soda pop bottles / soda bottles (whatever you call 'em where you happen to be). Mostly from the southwest. Painted or molded labels only and classic Coke bottles from where we've lived, not "everywhere". 432 + or - a few at current count, but haven't picked up a "new" one for several years because I ran out of room. Gotta put some shelves up. Cuckoo clocks, too. One for each room, yeah, we only keep one wound up at a time.

And every time my brother and I got a whippin, it was with a "switch" that we had to cut ourselves. We're twins, whatever one did, we both got punished for it...
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Vinyl. Been snapping it up since it was trash (as in literally people were putting it out on the curb on trash day) and much cheaper than CDs. Now it's the bees knees again and I've been selling doubles and triples and albums people are paying stupid prices for to fund house and VW projects.

The digs are much harder these days, I don't like to buy anything if it's more than $5, unless its a brand new release from a band at a show or something. However the dollar bins yield some amazing stuff that the kids these days are not interested in. Been scoring a lot of old jazz records in really good shape as well as international/world music for next to nothing lately.

OP: tell me you have some VW Avon cologne bottles....they DO exist you know....

My buddy collects 45's and he uses him in his DJing format. Jazz/old r & B and reggae mostly https://www.instagram.com/fleamarketfunk/?hl=en
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

man, I came up on a goldmine of 45s this past weekend for 25 cents each and passed on them since I don't have a stack record player or a jukebox, nor do I DJ, but they were perfect for that. They clearly came from a bar or somewhere that had a jukebox, every last one was a hit song. Mowtown,R+B, rock, country, everything from the 60s to the 80s. In nice shape too, some were warped. My guess is they will continue to rot where they sit in the corner of a video game store. All i bought from the guy were a large stack of NOS type II high bias 100 minute blank cassette tapes. They are near impossible to find these days, lots of the junky normal bias tapes are out there. I use them to record some of my rare-er records for the tape player in my car, and in case I end up selling them.

asiab3 wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: