Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to ask and look for when buying an oval window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Hi my experts Smile)

I would like to know what questions to ask and what to look for when you are buying an oval window 1955.
I have owned several and done a lot of work on 1973 and 1979. So I am not as familiar with the older models.
I have my eye on one and would love to have your experts views.
Thank you in advance
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

MarieChantale wrote:
Hi my experts Smile)

I would like to know what questions to ask and what to look for when you are buying an oval window 1955.
I have owned several and done a lot of work on 1973 and 1979. So I am not as familiar with the older models.
I have my eye on one and would love to have your experts views.
Thank you in advance

How much work do you want to do on it? Jump in and drive or bring it back to life?

The old ones rust in the same places as the new ones so check all those areas for signs of bondo or butchery or poor quality work.

See what works mechanically and electrically.

Does it have an engine? original? bigger? stock?

Does it run and drive?

Is there a title?

Is the interior all there and in good condition?

An early 55 is going to have many different and subtle differences than a late one and thus command a bit more money. If the seller is suggesting it is an early one, those details better be there.

If you'd like to post pictures of the car (inside and outside) we can certainly tell you what is good and not good.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

The 56 year model starts 4. August 1955, so a 55 is produced before that date. Some refer 56' to as a late 55. It is a lot of small parts that are different, the body is "new", a lot of effort was put down to produce the cars faster.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Go take a bunch of pictures of it and post them here...it will be picked apart like a chicken bone on the 27th of the month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
Go take a bunch of pictures of it and post them here...it will be picked apart like a chicken bone on the 27th of the month.

That is good advice. All of the missing parts add up quick when building an oval window. The cost of building can certainly be a factor if it is missing a lot.
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

The add is on the Samba
Add 2149002
It is advertised as 20k
Want to know if worth it according to you my experts (thank god I got you to ask questions to)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

This time is like one I would not need to restore.
No work really.
My budget is small though: 15K US dollars
cvallone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

I have videos on what to look out for before buying a bug. I even did a video on 53 Oval Features. All on youtube if need be.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

I don't want to trash the seller and can only speak for what I'd be looking for.
I'll tell you what I think, but I can only answer the question for myself.

First, all we have is the pictures and the video. I've had a lot of these old VWs over 40 years and there are a few things I look for. I only consider the price after deciding if a car is for me. Keep in mind if a car is overpriced it generally won't sell, so there is no need to jump on it if I think it is too expensive. In time the price will likely get more negotiable.

I noticed the door striker on the driver's side appears painted. It looks like there is paint on the wiring harness in the engine compartment. Look at where the carpet is mounted along the door jamb -- something is not right. The hood seal appears missing, so does the decklid seal. While the overall look is the bug has a nice shiny paint job, the things I'm pointing out don't support attention to detail. That may come off as irrational and unfair to the seller, but that is what I see and for me it is unsettling. Since it is my money, I'd just say nah and look for another.

Thus I've already decided no I don't want that one but note that I did that while assuming the price is fair.

There is risk in buying a car you can't see. If I wanted an oval (Bias warning, I don't want an oval, I have a split sedan and 2 early convertibles) I would certainly look at that one if it were local. Then I ask, do I want this one? Next, I ask myself how much is it worth to me?

To answer the worth question I go through a list similar to the one with the Crazy Vw Lady gave. That tells me how much I need to spend to be happy, and only I can decide what is right for me.

On that car, for me, that door latch would drive me crazy. I'd need the correct door panels and the correct upholstery. Next I'd need a 36er and the split case tranny if that is gone. The roof rack is nice, but I'd take it off. I see one piece windows. That is something else to fix. But that is me, you may love all the things I'd want to change.

That's why it is so hard to answer the "how much is it worth" question.

Example: Last fall my wife saw a '58 vert for sale. I have a weak spot for convertibles and begrudgingly went to look at it. I assumed it would have a myriad of issues but was shocked that it was unrusted, had never been hit, had all the original fenders, etc. I could see it needed a new top, the upholstery was fine except black not the red it should be, The carpet was OK but not square weave. Did some numbers in my head and ended paying the asking price. Yes, I tried to beat the price down but there was another interested party. Then a 3rd someone came along and told me I paid 2X what I should have. I said OK but he was wrong. If he wanted to lower it and do mods he could find a cheaper one. I want a more or less original driver and for me it is the perfect car. It's worth every cent I paid because it is very hard to find a car like this one. What I didn't tell you, is that is needs a top is a selling point. I love to do the work myself and redoing the top including sewing my own headliner is a lot of fun. That what a hobby is about.

The bottom line is that I would have passed on it had I only seen the pictures. If I were forced to make an offer based on the pictures it would have been 60% of what I paid. In this case I got to see it and was quite surprised. Most of the time it goes the other way, where seeing it devalues it.

Since you are in Denver, go to the VWs on the Green show in May and give a hard look at anything 65 or older. Check 'em like you are going to buy them. Take pictures and when you get home look the pictures over and compare them to the real car as you saw it.

That's a bit verbose but its the best I can do on a question that I think is hard to answer.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

MarieChantale wrote:
The add is on the Samba
Add 2149002
It is advertised as 20k
Want to know if worth it according to you my experts (thank god I got you to ask questions to)

I've seen this same car on eBay for a while now. Where to begin? Wheels, fender beading, upholstery, headliner, shift, lack of body trim, muffler, upside-down steering wheel.... I suspect they were aiming for 'coral' as the color but they really missed the mark and went to orange. Look at the carpet over the tunnel. It's cut for a 1958 or later car, which had the heater knob to the right of the shift instead of behind. Consequently there's a sewn-in escutcheon there, for no reason at all. And the shift itself is mounted closer to the seats, outside its own escutcheon. There's an escutcheon on the firewall for the reserve lever, but he didn't install a lever.... And the upholstered trunk? He even mounted the data plate on top of the carpet lining.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite colors. I'ts not correct for 1955 but maybe you don't care.

It sounds like you just want an oval window to drive and not worry about fixing it. I see multiple questionable things and shortcuts taken on this car which may or may not allude to the overall quality of the restoration or reliability of the car.

One giant red flag is the strange trunk lining WTF is that hiding?

I also see a light staying on when the engine is running. I'm not sure if it is oil or generator.

Missing seals, decklid spring, painted door wedges and wiring, other wrong parts, horrible interior, wrong seats, headlights, taillights, ...

No pictures of the bottom either.

I think I'd keep looking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

this looks a better car to me at a price nearer your budget...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2165046
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

MarieChantale wrote:
The add is on the Samba
Add 2149002
It is advertised as 20k

There are a lot of factors that come into play when buying any car. Many of the users of this forum are purists and like their cars to be as close to original as possible. Changing the motor or pan will not be a numbers matching car and it devalues everything. Some don't care and just want something to drive around. It's really up to you and what you want. If I were spending $20k on a car I'd want everything to be right on the car. Vehicles of this age will always require some work though. No matter what the seller says is new expect to replace parts and do regular maintenance to keep it on the road.
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Thank you so much!
I really really appreciate your answers.
You have saved me from a lot of future disappointments I am sure.

I would not have known as much as you what to look for. You really impress me a lot.

If you see one that’s better, within 20K (I can stretch a little the bidget).
Please let me know. I trust your judgement.

Thank you again

Marie
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this looks a better car to me at a price nearer your budget...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2165046

Looks really decent Smile

Only found 2 small unoriginal things, the red on the rims should be darker, and the interior tunnel should have rubber math instead of German weave.

If you are out for a nice driver, a 56/57 oval is better than early ovals, easier to find the right parts, and a little better to drive.
Here is my 56, from 8/55. Owned it since 1990 Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

You have gorgeous cars. Thank you for looking st that add.
I appreciate your feedbacks
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

That orange oval is not a good buy at that price. look for a better one !
It might sound totally stupid to mention, but take into consideration that the rear window of anoval is very small and it's hard to see out in traffic or backing up. an original 36hp is barely strong enough to keep up with modern traffic.
Taillights are very small and barely visible on an early Oval. brakes need lots of foot pressure and might fade after lots of downhill driving.

so a 100% original car might not be so much fun to drive for somebody used to 1970s beetles like you mentioned.
That said you might be lucky to purchase an updated oval with a 1600 motor, modern brakes aso.
with your budget of 15k, take into consideration that pre 67 non oval bugs might buy you much more or better car for your money. they have the old looks as well and a 66 or 67 has nice brakes and engine.

If you are totally hooked to Ovals, like I am, after owning about 10 or so, go on and look for a decent one. they are so gorgeous ! I love them.
Good luck with your search!

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Thank you.
After talking to many experts.
I will not get a perfectly original one. I am looking for something I will drive. Not tow.
So I will look for one that has the looks but the motor and brakes of a newer one.
Thank you so much for your comments Smile
I’m looking at one on The Samba but we are in gridlock on the price.
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Add 216590
Gridlocked on price
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What to ask and look for when buying an oval window Reply with quote

Happy ending
Meet Mademoiselle C Smile
She is not perfectly original but will be a great driver.
Very very happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: