Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Split lowered
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Forgive me for a silly question but I but the bus already lowered in the front and put new tires on- went up to 55 vs 50 series profile and now it rubs when hitting big bumps. How can I tell if the lowered front end is adjustable?

Thank you!
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Split lowered Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the beam ? In the centre it will have adjusters maybe.
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Appears you have Flipped spindles w no adjuster.
Being a 66, you have the 1 ton spindles and probably 14" wheels.
I'm running 185/55's also, but run them on 15" which gives you 1/2" UP, this does not solve your problem.

Good shocks would probably help w rubbing(koni oils), otherwise you would need to either install an adjuster, or lower profile rubber, or shorter beam.

I took Bug knock-offs in 15's x 5.5" and moved the center portion of the wheel outboard by 5/8", still on a stock beam w no adjuster. The ride is pretty good w/o modifying the beam. No rubbing.
I do have a set of wheels already modified 15x5 if you want them-you can try them, if they work, keep them no charge-Merry xmas-U pay shipping since I'm not Santa-S Orange County
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Thank you! Do you have any pictures of the wheels?
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Flipped spindles alone shouldn't cause it to rub going from 50-55. The adjusters would be on the backside of where your steering link is. I'm still curious before I make an assessment. Another thing you can look for is to see if someone pulled a torsion bar.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Let me check the backside of the linkage.
All I know is it wasn’t rubbing with 50 series and the only thing I changed was the tires to 55’s and now it rubs when big bumps are hit.
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

@ NUTSFORBUSES-Good call on the shocks- driver side was shot- replaced shocks and steering stabilizer- so far so good.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Millerz13 wrote:
@ NUTSFORBUSES-Good call on the shocks- driver side was shot- replaced shocks and steering stabilizer- so far so good.

Happy to hear !
Some real high grade shocks will help, "adjustable", but never "air" style.
You want them Soft, not Hard<--Yeah, I know Embarassed
The "stockers" don't last, especially when dropped.

Oilers are the only way to go, bit of a pain to take-off and adjust, but worth that pain. Bus Depot usually has the Dutch "KONI". I think the Front part number is 801349-rear is 801350. The Koni ride is great once adjusted. MAKE SURE you have no "wobble" when in the air. Check 12 to 6, and 9 to 3 o'clock with tire mounted, and always lube up too much. Spindle integrity is a must.
Millerz13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Split lowered Reply with quote

Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: