Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

Last week I saw a splatter of CV joint grease near my starter, and a slight rumbling on left turns also told me it was time to dig in…

81,223 miles on these, according to my log book, and the boots are just starting to give up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I never removed these axles from the car. I never cleaned and repacked them, and I never swapped them side to side. I did add a little grease one time to each joint when I had them partially disconnected for wheel bearing packing and transmission removal on separate occasions.

The balls looked brand new except for one which had a haze to the finish.

The ONLY visible damage was extremely localized; the rest of the joint had so little wear, so I'm a little disappointed that I won't be re-using the joints.

I don't know what causes that kind of acute pitting, but I'm guessing it was a metallurgical or casting flaw. Either way, I can safely say that these complete axle kits are a bargain at around $100 a pop, even if for how long the boots last compared to the horror stories of other brands.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

CV joints are not cast. They are forged. I'll venture that they are also heat treated and surface hardend as part of the heat treating process. Different heat treating processes yeald different results. Hardening or softening depending on the process and need. That pitting is a result of the ball wearing through the surface hardness and getting into softer material underneith. At least that is the way I have always understood it. Very Happy
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

I am also suprised that the EMPI boots lasted so long. The last set of those axles I installed the boots lasted less than six months and less than 3000 miles. I had held my old axles and repacked them with new boots and put the EMPI axles on deck for repair. Sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

If those were Lobros, I would just swap them to the other side of the rig and run with them likely getting another 100K or more out of them. With EMPI's I would just replace them.

You might trying buying replacements with Autozone, Oreillys, or some other outfit that will give you a lifetime guarantee if you don't want to pay the price for Lobros.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, sodbuster!

Wildthings wrote:
If those were Lobros, I would just swap them to the other side of the rig and run with them likely getting another 100K or more out of them. With EMPI's I would just replace them.

You might trying buying replacements with Autozone, Oreillys, or some other outfit that will give you a lifetime guarantee is you don't want to pay the price for Lobros.

I “retired” the EMPI joints since I had my bus’ original CVs and axles stashed away for a day like this. The original joints spent a while in the Aeromech Commemorative Ultrasonic Cleaner and came out looking new except for some very smooth wear where the balls rode. There packed and installed already. Smile

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

I'm actually hearing good things about Empi boots. I do remember Larry in OB saying his Autozone replacement axle CV's failed fairly quickly but maybe they weren't Empi?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

Question for asiab3:
Are those EMPI boots on your latest axles?
80k+ till failure is muy bueno.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Question for asiab3:

They are- I want to give them a shot since the complete axles EMPI boots lasted so much better than the crap parts I’ve seen come out of professional shops. Of course they are probably made in a different factory out of different compounds now though... And those miles weren’t all rainbows and butterflies... Twisted Evil

Robbie

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I'm actually hearing good things about Empi boots. I do remember Larry in OB saying his Autozone replacement axle CV's failed fairly quickly but maybe they weren't Empi?

Yep...actually it was O'Reilleys (not labeled EMPI) axle assembly boots that failed quickly. The EMPI one I put on has been fine for......a year? Two years? I don't really remember.
The EMPI axle just seemed like a more substantial product than the one from O'Reilleys. I did pump an extra little tube of CV Joint grease in between the balls and races before assembling them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:
Question for asiab3:

They are- I want to give them a shot since the complete axles EMPI boots lasted so much better than the crap parts I’ve seen come out of professional shops. Of course they are probably made in a different factory out of different compounds now though... And those miles weren’t all rainbows and butterflies... Twisted Evil

Robbie

Is that a Border Patrol vehicle on your ass?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

no - it is Colin trying to get his tools back............
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I'm actually hearing good things about Empi boots.

I just rebuilt my axles last weekend. I got 40k out of a set of EMPI boots. I used new EMPI boots on the axle rebuild and reused the 4 LOBRO CVs dated 3/68. EMPI does make something good, just not everything.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

My 69 bug I've owned for 20 years. It has the original VW CV joint boots on them. They are still perfect almost 50 years later.

For full transparency, the bug has probably 150k total miles on it with only 8k in the last 20.

Sad that we can buy that quality of boot 50 years later...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

EMPI boots went unavailable a while back, maybe 6-8 years ago. I think the quality dropped badly for a while once they became available again. I think the boots on my 83 1/2 Vanagon are EMPIs, they are maybe 12-14 years old and failing badly at this point. Maybe 100K miles on them.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
aeromech wrote:

no - it is Colin trying to get his tools back............

Ha! It's actually Ranger Solomon from Death Valley National Park. We've known each other since middle school, and he was on the inaugural trip where Buddy the Bus got his name…

Going in for the requisite re-torque today… We'll see if my whacky non-VW-approved torque technique works for these guys or if the retorque shows some creep.

Robbie
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
I am also surprised that the EMPI boots lasted so long. The last set of those axles I installed the boots lasted less than six months and less than 3000 miles. I had held my old axles and repacked them with new boots and put the EMPI axles on deck for repair. Sad

Update; I installed the original set of axles back into my single cab early last year when I installed the rebuilt transaxle. Repacked with new boots. I have not driven it in a few months because I was busy with the engine rebuild on my camper and once done I was out on the weekends enjoying it.

Well last weekend I got the single cab out to give it the once over, because I need to use it this coming weekend for a bicycle show. I got it in the driveway and started crawling around underneath checking things. sure enough all four boots installed a year ago were shredded crap!

I decided to give the EMPI boots another go. I went and picked up four EMPI CV boot kits and repacked the set of EMPI axles I had removed from the truck last year. I installed them last Wednesday.

The EMPI CV's looked fine when I went through everything and put it back together with the new EMPI boot kits. I am taking a wait and see attitude on this round. Lets see how this plays out, stay tuned. Smile
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

Back in 2012 or 2013, I went through multiple sets of complete axle assemblies from Advanced Auto that would only last maybe 3-6 months, before they started knocking in turns. They came with lifetime warranties, and were around $100 for a complete axle, so I figured it was a safe bet. Man was I wrong. No warranty is worth the trouble of replacing those things once or twice a year, so I finally gave up and returned them for a full refund and just applied that toward some quality lobro joints. Those have never given me a bit of trouble, but I was not so lucky with boots. I think they're starting to get better with the neoprene ones, but still nothing close to OEM service life....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI Complete Axle Assembly teardown Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Back in 2012 or 2013, I went through multiple sets of complete axle assemblies from Advanced Auto that would only last maybe 3-6 months, before they started knocking in turns. They came with lifetime warranties, and were around $100 for a complete axle, so I figured it was a safe bet. Man was I wrong. No warranty is worth the trouble of replacing those things once or twice a year, so I finally gave up and returned them for a full refund and just applied that toward some quality lobro joints. Those have never given me a bit of trouble, but I was not so lucky with boots. I think they're starting to get better with the neoprene ones, but still nothing close to OEM service life....

The OEM service life was no where near as good as many like to make out. I bought a '73 Thing with low mileage back in the mid 70's, IIRC two of the boots had already been replaced at that time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: