Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

I found the info about the 12mm, and 14mm differences in the calipers, but looking for more info on the rear. If staying with the factory 5 x 112 pattern, what backing plates from what years would be a direct replacement for a 71? I can't quite find what I'm looking for on front beams. If looking for a used replacement, what years would work? I'm assuming it's at least after 71 to accommodate the booster. Thanks for any info/links anyone can provide!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

Your question is kind of vague to me. The front beam changed late 73 I believe. There are front beams in the classifieds.
If you buy a late bay beam and you want to keep your existing calipers you need to transplant the spindles from the 71 as well. Maybe the beam you buy will be complete with good calipers,etc. The question about the rear plates? Did you want to know which years will fit?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

The new rear brake backing plates available fit all busses 71-79, although there were some minor differences in the originals.
Likewise, any 71-79 beam fill fit a 71 body.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

I think both of you have answered my questions. It just seems like 70-73 had significant brake changes, and wasn't sure how that effected everything else. I just acquired a 71 with a badly rusted beam, and rear backing plates, and wondered what I should look for to replace them while keeping everything stock brakewise.

So for the beam, the beam itself/torsion springs/torsion arms from all 71-79 years with the power brakes/booster mount are identical? 71-72 spindles/brakes are one style, and 73-79 are the other?

And the backing plates, the new ones available will work for a 71 with stock 71 brake components? I see 64-70, 71, 72-early 73, and late 73-79 had different rear shoes. Also the rear cylinders were up to 71 with internal shoe slots, and 72-79 had external shoe slots. After a closer look, I see the 68-70 rear plates had "horizontal" adjusters, where 71-79 had the adjusters that angled up. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

Put the rear backing plates, shoes, & hardware from a vanagon on there & have self-adjusting brakes on there.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suspension/brake info for a 71? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Put the rear backing plates, shoes, & hardware from a vanagon on there & have self-adjusting brakes on there.

This isn't a bad idea at all, since the Chinese have decided that we don't really need actual bus brake shoes, 'cuz Vanagon shoes are close enough. The supply of
correct 73-79 bus rear shoes has pretty much dried up, except for old shelf stock. What most vendors are giving you when you ask for 73-79 bus shoes are
actually Vanagon shoes minus the usually attached hardware. And of course the 71 brakes were a 1-year-only setup. Along with all the usual parts to make the change, the
71 bearing housing will have to be modified to take the brake cylinder mounting bolt.

http://www.type2.com/library/brakes/selfadjust.htm

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: