Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Years Most Prone to Fail
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Years Most Prone to Fail Reply with quote

In my quest to find a good EV have a few questions regarding the Eurovan... timing chain, water pump, and transmission as these seem to be the "big ticket" repair items.

First, lets take the 93-95 vans off the table... I know they are tanks... and most of their quirks are with the body and electrical components.. If I could find a clean 93 with a manual transmission it would already be sitting in my drive way... Sadly most of them, at least the ones I have seen are a little long in the tooth. But I am still looking

That said, lets dive into it for models year's 1999 to 2003

Transmission.. are there specific years that are prone to the failure? Reading around I know it was a quality control issue, and I am assuming the later years 2002-2003 maybe this was caught or is this across the whole run? Also does the 24 valve engine add to this problem...

Timing Chain is this specific to the 12 or 24 valve engine? Seems that many of the 2002-2003 sellers I am talking with mentioned having that work done.

Water Pump - haven't met a VW yet that doesn't have this problem... but again is the problem specific to a year or across the whole run? I know for a while they were using plastic impeller on the Vanagons... same issue here?

That is all for now..
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Years Most Prone to Fail Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the problem is with the H2O pump you've heard about, but I've got to say that it's got to be just about the easiest unit to R&R I've ever encountered.

I believe all of the autos are prone to "issues", though there are many examples from all years that have made it to 200k.

I would just plan on buying a VR6 model that has had the timing chains replaced, or factor that task upon purchase, especially if the vehicle has 150k or more.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Years Most Prone to Fail Reply with quote

water pump issues in 99-03 are one of those phantoms. you hear far more about people replacing them than you do about actual failures. they are cheap and easy to replace is perhaps why.

transmissions; a lot of this concern stems from articles RE catastrophic failures due to manufacturing defects. now that the fleet in the US is getting older these defective transmissions are (completely?) fixed/gone.

failures now are due to lack of appropriate maintenance in terms of : overheating (stock heat exchange can't handle more extreme heat situations) or worn out fluid or valve body issues. often these issues are interconnected; for example: a little extra heat breaks down the fluid which causes more heat which impacts the valve body solenoids which causes even more heat.. etc. etc.

point: get a van that still shifts well when good-n-hot and then take good care of it.

chains; it's not the chains as much as the guides and sprockets that wear so quickly. in 99-mid 02 some intermediary sprockets were too soft. overheating, bad oil/filter, sludge.. all impact guide wear.
Chi-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Years Most Prone to Fail Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:

First, lets take the 93-95 vans off the table... I know they are tanks... and most of their quirks are with the body and electrical components.. If I could find a clean 93 with a manual transmission it would already be sitting in my drive way... Sadly most of them, at least the ones I have seen are a little long in the tooth. But I am still looking

My 93' 5 speed is exactly that, a tank, reliable as hell but still a tank Laughing
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Years Most Prone to Fail Reply with quote

I have a 93 weekender ,5 speed for sale ! These vans are trouble some compaired.to a bay which I've had several but , Eurovans are nice to.drive n very comfy
I'm asking $5 grand and a parts van is avable also
The first one orginally came from Cafornia , The van is in Puerto Rico an will cost a grand to ship to JAX ONLY Problem is it keeps fouling plugs w carbon. I live here in winter m Vt. The rest of the year. thanks VW BILL PS I'M A CARB MAN ONLY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: