Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Looking to replace some parts while I have my engine out and it's super easy. I remember the old days when the Bosch 9001 plug wires for my car came in a taller box and were gray, like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But the new ones I see now (Made in Mexico I think, not sure- doesn't even have English print on the box anymore) come in a shorter box and are black, like this:

Or this:

What is the difference in quality (if any) between the two, or is there another aftermarket brand highly recommended on here? If so, brand AND part number please so I don't have to go searching--thanks!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

And I guess recommendations for spark plugs too while we're at it.. thx

1600 SP engine
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

The new style has rubber boot ends, opposed to the old style Bakelite ends, and I was told the rubber flapper seals didn't fit or work as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Just buy Denso or PVL German plug wires. I've ehard multiple complaints on the Bosch wires, including they are too thick to pop into the stock wire holders on the fan shroud.
Rock Auto has a good selection and they are cheap.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Just buy Denso or PVL German plug wires. I've ehard multiple complaints on the Bosch wires, including they are too thick to pop into the stock wire holders on the fan shroud.

Thanks!!

I saw the PVL wires while searching around but did not realize they were German made.

1600 SP engine
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

I use NGK B5HS.

As far as Bosch plug wires go, I thought they discontinued making them a while back. Maybe a year or two.

Wolfgang International sells a particular brand that they’re very happy with. I don’t know the name. You might call them and see.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

I bought Bosch wires from RockAuto

"Mexico; boxed"

Box says 'made in Mexico" but the wires are actually marked themselves as made in the USA, and that's good enough for me to at least give them a chance. I'll support a company that uses USA labor.

IMO, they are near identical copies of the OG grey/bakelite wires. Can't see how they would have any issues. I'll know when I use them I guess though.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I bought Bosch wires from RockAuto

"Mexico; boxed"

Box says 'made in Mexico" but the wires are actually marked themselves as made in the USA, and that's good enough for me to at least give them a chance. I'll support a company that uses USA labor.

IMO, they are near identical copies of the OG grey/bakelite wires. Can't see how they would have any issues. I'll know when I use them I guess though.

There is a good chance they were made a long time ago. See if there is a date on the box, would be good to know and which "vendor" on Rock Auto sold them. There is a lot of NOS stuff no longer being made for sale on there, especially the "wholesaler closeout" stuff. I got some 11 inch wiper blades that are NAPA brand and they have to be at least a decade old through there. I think they were like $1.50
The real deal Bosch Blue coils, the last good ones anyways, made in Spain and epoxy filled, are for sale on there if you look hard enough, and at about half what VW vendors sell them for.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

There is a good chance they were made a long time ago. See if there is a date on the box, would be good to know and which "vendor" on Rock Auto sold them. There is a lot of NOS stuff no longer being made for sale on there, especially the "wholesaler closeout" stuff.

I'll take a look when I get home and post back.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

The real deal Bosch Blue coils, the last good ones anyways, made in Spain and epoxy filled, are for sale on there if you look hard enough, and at about half what VW vendors sell them for.

OK I give up-- where?
I see three different Bosch blue coils but none of them say Made in Spain on the front sticker label like they do on the Ratwell list of Bosch coils to buy/ avoid. Not sure how to tell otherwise.
Funny also that the two lower priced blue coils (only 20 cents apart in price) are the ones that say "Actual OE part" and the more expensive one doesn't... Confused

1600 SP engine
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

To the original question - I thru away a basically brand new set of the black ones from Bosch/Mexico. They would not stay on the plugs. I'd be driving and all of a sudden I'd drop 2-3 cylinders. Pull over and sure enough the cables had popped off of the plugs. Put them back in, drive another mile or two, have to pull over again to reset the cables on the plugs.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

The Bosch wires I have bought for non ACVW's jacket was so soft it was near impossible to get them off the plug without having the terminal come off with it even with a special tool.

I bought Duralast Golds for a Jeep and they where the best wire I have ever bought. They are about $35 though.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
The Bosch wires I have bought for non ACVW's jacket was so soft it was near impossible to get them off the plug without having the terminal come off with it even with a special tool.

I bought Duralast Golds for a Jeep and they where the best wire I have ever bought. They are about $35 though.

I was actually considering the duralasts- I have a 15% off autozone coupon for wires/ plugs, and the duralasts seem to be the only ones AZ carries for the VW

1600 SP engine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Long day at work....

Took a look at my Bosch Mexico wires.
Date code January 2017
They are black wire with rubber plug boots
Wires are marked made in USA
I cannot find a significant difference in style, shape of boot vs grey/Bakelite wires on basic inspection.
They seem to engage well and hold onto the new Bosch plugs I bought

YMMV I guess

I'm gonna give them a shot when it comes time up time, if they don't work out I'll try something else Laughing
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Not sure if I over looked it or not, but Bosch has been Subbing out there Plug Wires now for a while. And, there quality control dropped by the subsiterey companies..

Thing is there are good plug wires out there for VW's that beat Bosch as it is said in performance now days like the Petronix Plug Wires..

So, beware what you are getting into... RB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Alright guys, got an early start today so I had time to check those Mexico/USA Bosch wires against my legit Bosch Bakelite end wires on the car.

Long story short, the Mexico ones can work but would need trimming of the air seal Parr of the boot, because the plug end shaft thing is about 1cm shorter than the Bakelite Bosch wires.

I'm a bit disappointed, but since RockAuto has a good return policy I'm gonna order up a few other different non Bosch sets to compare to the old Bosch ones.

I can post here if everyone would feel it would benefit and be appropriate to post here when I receive and evaluate the other wires sets
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

Yep, same thing that happened to me. I ended up going w/a grey set, but I don't remember if I stuck w/RockAuto or went Duralast. Nothing wrong w/the Duralast ones, btw.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Yep, same thing that happened to me. I ended up going w/a grey set, but I don't remember if I stuck w/RockAuto or went Duralast. Nothing wrong w/the Duralast ones, btw.

Good to know about the duralast ones. I'll keep those in mind
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Thanks!!

I saw the PVL wires while searching around but did not realize they were German made.

The PVLs are the only ones I've been using for like 20 years now. I learned of them because I worked at VW parts shop back then and we sold them! Now at one point I did end up with a Bosch set of wires I think part of collection of parts I bought - this was eons before they changed to that horrible setup they have now - and the bakelite plug connectors on the end of the Bosch wires were PVLs! (or still are, I never used them, as I don't care much for silicone jacket wires - they rip way too easily trying to get them into the plastic clips on the fan shroud - I like the PVL style better)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Bosch gray and black 9001 plug wires? Reply with quote

I purchased these from o’reillys and they worked well

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/import-direct...tle?q=Plug

Rick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: