Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar install suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Will never add solar again.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Will never add solar again.

Totally understand your decision, but remember that portable panels come with controllers mounted to the panels. While some of us have removed those controllers to mount inside our vans, the safer route would be to leave them as-is (mounted to the panels). Thus, if the controller should melt down, it won't be inside, it'll be outside and away from the van.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

after a fair amount of $$ spent, my experiences with solar panel are about 50% (or less) than I expected...

on my trips I use shore power whenever I could...
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

No offense to anyone doing it this way but I don't understand why anyone would want to run their solar arrangement through the vehicle fuse panel if that's what is being proposed. It adds an unnecessary level of complexity and increases the odds of fire. To charge a battery run it directly to that battery. If desiring to charge two batteries simultaneously then use a splitter.

My set-up is similar to several on here. Mobile Renogy 100w dual panel with controller on the back. Plug in to aux battery when ready (and engine not running). If there's a fuse it's built-in along that line somewhere. Very simple/stupid Wink
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
No offense to anyone doing it this way but I don't understand why anyone would want to run their solar arrangement through the vehicle fuse panel if that's what is being proposed.

We're talking about a Blue Seas auxiliary fuse panel, not the van's factory fuse panel. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
We're talking about a Blue Seas auxiliary fuse panel, not the van's factory fuse panel. Wink

Ok thanks - got it. But question still stands. Why bother ? In-line fuse, direct run solar to powered item(s).
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Agree. Fuses are after the battery in my arrangement.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Just a note to say purchase top of line controller. $50 one failed and burned down my 89 Westfalia.

Do you know what condition led to the failing of the controller and or wiring? Did you have an in line fuse between the panel and controller? My controller directions recommended a fuse between panel and controller. This always puzzled me as the wiring was set up for a direct connection to the controller. One would have to cut the stock wiring to connect an in line fuse. Did you have an in line fuse between controller and battery? Was the wattage of the panel too high for the controller or was this simply a defective controller? I guess the only reason why I ask is to help prevent the same experience with someone else’s solar set up.

Sorry to hear about your van. I would certainly be in your camp if I experienced what you did with a solar set up. I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. I hope you’ve been able to rebuild or find a new van.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

physast wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
physast wrote:
Yes by back feeding I am just implying going through the fuse panel.

I think I will do an install directly at the battery. If I go through the fuse panel then I would be charging both the house and starter battery correct?

The solar panel is for camping and I want all power going to the house batteries.

Well is your fuse panel powered by both batteries? It's hard to say if it will charge both batteries without a wiring diagram.

Good point. I will need to double check. I know both batteries are charged by the alternator. The fuse panel is likely just house battery.

A lot of times the fuse panel has one side connected to the auxiliary battery and the other side to the starting battery. Does your panel have two separate sides to it with multiple fuse locations on each? Some simple testing with a volt meter will tell you the story. If you don’t have this setup, it is one to consider. It makes it easy to add accessories and you can easily choose which battery you want to draw off of.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

What I installed:
Panel
Controller
Fuse panel
ACR

I was mindful of JudoJeff's tragedy and chose a charge controller that solarbob on the interwebs recommended. It has a small gap for ventilation when mounted and I improved on that with a set of small nylon washers as standoffs.

The biggest thing I have learned is the importance of good solid grounds. I didn't use the seatbelt bolt, instead making my own with a self-tapping screw and washers. But until I did a really good job of sanding down to bare metal I wasn't getting all of the power I was harvesting.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the blueseas fuse panel where the battery connects directly to the top and bottom ports. So if I decide to run through the fuse panel it would be no different then going directly to the battery. I will have a fuse from the panel to the controller and from the controller to the battery.

I purchased the Renogy Rover 20 amp MPPT charge controller. Probably over kill, but I can use it in other situations and I don't want my van to burn down.

I plan on adding a switch to turn the charger off when solar is not in use. I still have not decided how to do the install. It will depend on where I decide to mount the charger.

- mount behind seat
- mount below back seat
- mount on clothes cabinet

I have all the parts and have tested to make sure the controller and panel are working.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

physast wrote:

I have the blueseas fuse panel where the battery connects directly to the top and bottom ports. So if I decide to run through the fuse panel it would be no different then going directly to the battery.

There can be a big difference. If the wire going ftom the battery to the fuse panel shorts to ground, ALL of the energy from the battery will go to the point of contact. It could create a fire. This is why you need to either have a fuse close to the battery or the wire from the battery physically protected.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
physast wrote:

I have the blueseas fuse panel where the battery connects directly to the top and bottom ports. So if I decide to run through the fuse panel it would be no different then going directly to the battery.

There can be a big difference. If the wire going ftom the battery to the fuse panel shorts to ground, ALL of the energy from the battery will go to the point of contact. It could create a fire. This is why you need to either have a fuse close to the battery or the wire from the battery physically protected.

Yep. I have my system set-up as the OP described above and also have an inline fuse about two inches from the battery pos. terminal (plus the wire is routed through a sleeve. What I haven’t done is replace my charge controller and mount it on a heat sink (work in progress):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Done! I installed everything yesterday.

- Installed the rover 20A MPPT behind the driver seat
- installed the gowesty solar hook up box (replaces city water)
- ran wires from the box to the charge controller
- ran wires from the battery to the charge controller
- 20a inline fuse from the solar panel to the charge controller
- 20a fuse from the charge controller to the battery
- cut off switch at the battery for when solar not in use

The rover 20A controller uses 100ma when idle and this was more than I wanted drawing power off the house batteries when not in use.

Right now I am storing the flexible panel between the upstairs bunks. At some point I would like to add a place on the roof that can easily be taken down when needed.

Tested and all works! Thanks for the help.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Now comes the fun part: deciding whether you mount the panel to the van or keep it separate.

I have a 100W flexible panel that I store upstairs like you. My panel is attached to 50 feet of big-arse speaker cable so I can park the van any which way (sometimes you don't get a choice) and deploy the panel at the best location/angle. I ran the aforementioned cable from my under-back-seat battery location, out through the firewall and into the engine compartment and left an Anderson Powerpole connector on the ledge behind the license plate door. That way I can plug in my moveable panel right at the license plate and I didn't have to drill any holes in the body. I also have a 110V charger under my rear seat who's plug also exits at the license plate door which allows me to charge the house battery with an extension cord when I need to.

The last part of the puzzle for me is finding a suitable way of holding up my solar panel when its outside collecting sunlight. I like the idea of some kind of adjustable stand that would clamp the panel and hold it tight as well as allow the stand to be weighted with a log or rock, etc. I'm going to try out a portable artist easel like this one: https://tinyurl.com/ybqgnvxo

It's adjustable like a tripod and clamps the solar panel at the top and bottom. It can be adjusted to keep the panel low to the ground and not tip over in wind. It can also be easily weighted with a strap and a water jug to prevent it from being blown over by stronger wind. Resting a solar panel against a picnic table or your bumper works great if there's no wind. Once the wind picks up, your panel will sail away - been there, done that.

Lots of folks attach their panels to the roof, etc., but why beat up your panel with wind and rain and road grime by attaching it to your roof? You don't need the panel until you camp so it's really not doing you any good on the roof while you are driving around. Less holes in your roof is also a good thing... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Don’t be buy a single component until you buy, read, reread, and comprehend Don Casey’s treatise on boat wiring.

Chafe relief
Strain relief
Gauging

....Is where most wiring projects are deficient.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

So for my portable panel I use a step stool as the angled stand for the solar panel. I need the step stool to access the storage box on the roof anyway.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Now comes the fun part: deciding whether you mount the panel to the van or keep it separate.

I have a 100W flexible panel that I store upstairs like you. My panel is attached to 50 feet of big-arse speaker cable so I can park the van any which way (sometimes you don't get a choice) and deploy the panel at the best location/angle. I ran the aforementioned cable from my under-back-seat battery location, out through the firewall and into the engine compartment and left an Anderson Powerpole connector on the ledge behind the license plate door. That way I can plug in my moveable panel right at the license plate and I didn't have to drill any holes in the body. I also have a 110V charger under my rear seat who's plug also exits at the license plate door which allows me to charge the house battery with an extension cord when I need to.

The last part of the puzzle for me is finding a suitable way of holding up my solar panel when its outside collecting sunlight. I like the idea of some kind of adjustable stand that would clamp the panel and hold it tight as well as allow the stand to be weighted with a log or rock, etc. I'm going to try out a portable artist easel like this one: https://tinyurl.com/ybqgnvxo

It's adjustable like a tripod and clamps the solar panel at the top and bottom. It can be adjusted to keep the panel low to the ground and not tip over in wind. It can also be easily weighted with a strap and a water jug to prevent it from being blown over by stronger wind. Resting a solar panel against a picnic table or your bumper works great if there's no wind. Once the wind picks up, your panel will sail away - been there, done that.

Lots of folks attach their panels to the roof, etc., but why beat up your panel with wind and rain and road grime by attaching it to your roof? You don't need the panel until you camp so it's really not doing you any good on the roof while you are driving around. Less holes in your roof is also a good thing... Cool

This last paragraph is just not true. Millions of people have panels on their vans, Motorhomes and trailers, not to mention a few hundred million on homes and solar farms with rare failures, no leaks, no problems. The glass used is rated for hailstorms that would pock mark your tin top or crack your fiberglass.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don’t be buy a single component until you buy, read, reread, and comprehend Don Casey’s treatise on boat wiring.

Chafe relief
Strain relief
Gauging

....Is where most wiring projects are deficient.

Is this the treatise that you’re referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Electrics-Simplified-Don-Casey/dp/0070366497/ref=nodl_

I’d like to graduate beyond hackdom.

My dad taught me a lot but he combined a balance of knowledge of how to do it the right-way along with gumption and risk-taking knowing that “this will get it done”. That’s hard to pass on to a borderline knucklehead like me.

A year or so ago, Dampcamper (40 years of electrical experience) here PMd me a correspondence course on how to select components, where to buy to marine electrical stuff here in Seattle (Fisheries Supply, Ancor brand terminals, etc.) and even a project or two. My skills and abilities improved (giving me ideas on how to improve the wiring in my rig). Thanks, Dampcamper!

If that’s the book you’re referring to I’ll add it to my coursework.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar install suggestions Reply with quote

That’s it. A sailboat fire is like a Vanagon fire that you have to watch while in your seat waiting for the gas Tank to burn. You wire somewhat differently thinking that way. You become aware of every force and place where the wire touches the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: