Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Hey y'all again back with an other question here! So my tubes are all in the same orientation but I don't recall which and came from the block or the head. Same goes for the push rods themselves, I do notice that one end has lines? Thanks a million
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Which type of engine are we talking about? Type 1 and type 4 engine pushrod tubes are totally different and so are the pushrods.

Pictures of the pushrod "lines" please.

I am going to "assume" you have a type 4 engine. The shiny lines or bands that appear on type 4 pushrods....are not supposed to be there. They are wear marks that are caused by the pushrod retaining wire being bent or improperly installed and wear against the pushrods. Eventually this can almost wear through a pushrod.

The pushrod tube direction....again...on type 4...the larger end with the narrow o-ring groove is the cylinder head end.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Put the seams up. Lessens the chance of leaking. T4 pushrods have different size ends so I am guessing you have a T1 style motor in which case both ends are the same. if they are T1 pushrod tubes then you can gently stretch them back out a little from where they have compressed before using them again.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Put the seams up. Lessens the chance of leaking. T4 pushrods have different size ends so I am guessing you have a T1 style motor in which case both ends are the same. if they are T1 pushrod tubes then you can gently stretch them back out a little from where they have compressed before using them again.

Actually...you are spot on....I missed it in his sig line...71 bus.... Laughing

Sorry...drove too late last night!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Definitely both ends look to be the same diameter. I guess now I'm more curious about the pushrods themself, does their direction matter
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

areabaylove wrote:
Definitely both ends look to be the same diameter. I guess now I'm more curious about the pushrods themself, does their direction matter

I've never known it to matter, but I've never seen a pushrod with "lines" on one end either. Pictures would be a big help...
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
one end has them the other does not
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

I don't think it matters which end of the pushrod goes where, as these pushrods don't show wear in normal use and thus do not "mate" with either the lifters or rockers.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

areabaylove wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
one end has them the other does not

That looks like a clamp mark where the pushrod body was held while the end was pushed in.

I have not done enough type 1 to know if that mark is common...but it would not be uncommon to find a mark like that on aftermarket pushrods that were a cut to length or custom made. Ray
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does It matter the direction of the push tube rods and tubes? Reply with quote

Do check the o ring lands for the o rings to make sure they are not corroded. Some of ours had that and leaked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: