Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bring my doors to Colorado!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Hey! I bought two front doors, a hatch, and an engine lid in Ridott, IL. Is anyone passing through there on their way west that could put them on a roof rack or pickup bed for some gas money? I'm in Manitou Springs, CO, and I'd gladly put you up for the night and act as local tour guide if necessary. 😉
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Consider shipping them via Greyhound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Yeah, but it's a pain for the guy I'm buying them from and not as economical as you'd think.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Don't know if they go that path - but Amtrak will also ship. Usually cheaper than greyhound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

man Ridott, IL is in the middle of nowhere.
so why did you buy parts ~1,000 miles from home w/o a plan to get them?
or why'd he sell them to you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Try u-ship. Otherwise plan on sending the seller some money for the trouble of taking them to GreyHound.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Yeah, but it's a pain for the guy I'm buying them from and not as economical as you'd think.

And you hope someone else is going to put up with a pair of large heavy PITA things that don't fit in many spaces and are easily damaged or scratched for less?, that's a huge ask, especially considering the odd route required to make it to you.
If the seller won't go by the local bicycle shop for a couple of boxes, stuff them in and drop them off at the Dog consider greasing the palm of some local Samba member to go and do it (maybe move this to off topic or general chat?). Don't forget to make a donation to the Samba afterwards as well for the use of this resource Wink
Option B is have him dump them at the local UPS store like place so they can wrap and ship them collect.
U-ship may indeed be your best option.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Greyhound prices have increased greatly as of late. Be careful, UPS maybe the same. I"ve had great luck with CL Rideshare ( use common sense and smart phones for progress reports ). I would think FB would be a good avenue as well.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

hmm... I live in Manhattan KS and have family in Colorado Springs.

If the stuff could get here, I could probably get it there, especially if you are able to wait a few weeks. (Would be way easier to get there once my foster sons are out of school.)

I also have a former foster son who is now doing a lot of U Ship stuff.. I know he heads that general direction occasionally, so maybe he could help get them to me. I'll check with him and see if he's heading that way any time soon.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

If the stuff could get here, I could probably get it there, especially if you are able to wait a few weeks. (Would be way easier to get there once my foster sons are out of school.)

I also have a former foster son who is now doing a lot of U Ship stuff.. I know he heads that general direction occasionally, so maybe he could help get them to me. I'll check with him and see if he's heading that way any time soon.

Great! Let me know. I'm not in a huge hurry, so a few weeks would be fine. I could probably have the guy greyhound them to you.

Also, it's on Uship right now.
https://www.uship.com/shipment/1-Bundle/633504923/#shipmentquestions
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
man Ridott, IL is in the middle of nowhere.
so why did you buy parts ~1,000 miles from home w/o a plan to get them?
or why'd he sell them to you?

If you have nothing positive to contribute, don't post on my thread.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

Vwwestyman - didn't I meet you this last summer on the southern Colorado bus trip?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
I could probably have the guy greyhound them to you.

busboyjake wrote:

Wait, what? So it just boils down to you being cheap. Rolling Eyes

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Great! Let me know. I'm not in a huge hurry, so a few weeks would be fine. I could probably have the guy greyhound them to you.

If you could get them to Manhattan, I could use that as an excuse to go to Colorado early in the summer!

I talked to the former foster son and he said he might be able to get them this way, but it depends on what his boss has for him to do. I had forgotten that he also has a job where he ships flat beds for trucks all over the region. He said he may be going the general direction of Illinois/Wisconsin but he didn't know if they would have something for him to bring back yet.

And yes, I was on that trip! What were you driving? It usually takes me a few tries to match up names and faces/buses. I had the black great dane, who ate pizza out of a guy's dune buggy the first night, and got bit by a d-bag's dog on the nose during a breakdown stop (someone else's).

[I say he was a d-bag, because his dog had already gone after mine once and he owned a muzzle-which he put on after Jackson had to be stitched up-which said to me he knew all along his dog was prone to such things.]

Despite all that, and Jackson getting sick, it was a fun trip!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
I could probably have the guy greyhound them to you.

busboyjake wrote:

Wait, what? So it just boils down to you being cheap. Rolling Eyes

Once again, if you have nothing positive to contribute, don't post on my thread.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

If you could get them to Manhattan, I could use that as an excuse to go to Colorado early in the summer!

I talked to the former foster son and he said he might be able to get them this way, but it depends on what his boss has for him to do. I had forgotten that he also has a job where he ships flat beds for trucks all over the region. He said he may be going the general direction of Illinois/Wisconsin but he didn't know if they would have something for him to bring back yet.

And yes, I was on that trip! What were you driving? It usually takes me a few tries to match up names and faces/buses. I had the black great dane, who ate pizza out of a guy's dune buggy the first night, and got bit by a d-bag's dog on the nose during a breakdown stop (someone else's).

[I say he was a d-bag, because his dog had already gone after mine once and he owned a muzzle-which he put on after Jackson had to be stitched up-which said to me he knew all along his dog was prone to such things.]

I was in my beige late westy. I must have missed the dog drama! It was a lot of fun. Hopefully we can work something out. Are you coming out again for the trip this year?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

If it’s between two decent portals expect 50 cpm to ship. From the looks of it I’m guessing that remote IL portal will be more like 75 cpm.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

I was in my beige late westy. I must have missed the dog drama! It was a lot of fun. Hopefully we can work something out. Are you coming out again for the trip this year?

Here's a pic of Jackson looking out the window on the trip:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was on the first night that Jackson ate the pizza. Some guys had driven an old-skool dune buggy and had a box of pizza sitting in the passenger side seat. All the dogs were running around playing dog-park style and at some point Jackson just leaned in and got a piece of pizza! lol

Not sure if I'll be able to make this year's trip. At my current job, I'm in charge of planning a summer camp which happens a week or so after the trip. I had everything ready for the camp before leaving, but my boss made some comment that made me feel like she wasn't too excited about me leaving right before camp again.

Plus this year's trip is even further away. I had to make a cannonball run to get back last year so that would be difficult.

However, I'm looking for another job, so who knows what'll happen!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Plus this year's trip is even further away.

This year’s trip is closer to you then last year’s, South Fork is 2 hrs east of Durango.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bring my doors to Colorado! Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Hey! I bought two front doors, a hatch, and an engine lid in Ridott, IL. Is anyone passing through there on their way west that could put them on a roof rack or pickup bed for some gas money? I'm in Manitou Springs, CO, and I'd gladly put you up for the night and act as local tour guide if necessary. 😉

A night a Greg's house in downtown Manitou Springs is well worth transporting some doors across states if you happen to be heading that way.

https://www.facebook.com/184288431618852/videos/1508004332580582/

If the situation doesn't fit your needs, why comment? If you feel the need to sleight someone for what you perceive as them being sensitive, you may want to shut your mouth before you find out otherwise.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: