Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatmpatn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

Hello! Im going to buy a VW bug within a month. And after this convert it to a Baja.

I want it to look as mean as this one(I found the image on Google):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two questions:

1. Which bug should I buy? Is 1302 -68 a good choice? Im also planning to swap to a Subaru EJ22. Are there any model that has a preferrable transmission that can take the double power?

2. Where can I buy the exact fiberglass body kit that the car in the image wears?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

Hard to say as you are in Sweden and parts may be hard to come by.

Bugs in Europe would be slightly different than US models of the same year.

Look for:

IRS transaxle with CV joints rather than swing axle
I prefer link pin front end vs. ball joint, especially for off roading.
limited rust in body, unless it's a part that's going to be cut off.

Fiberglass parts for baja's mostly likely will come from the US, you might have to pay a lot just for shipping, not to mention Swedish/EU taxes. Look on the web for EU based manufacturers as well as bug/buggy/baja/VW clubs that might be in the EU and someone may have a connection.

The one in the pictures has been modified to suit the owner, many of the kits are about the same.

As far as the Subbie motor, do a search on the Samba, there are a few who have gone that route.

Enjoy!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

that is an extreme example. wider and higher front and rear, probably a 6 inch wider front beam and 3X3 rear trailing arms

start here: Baja Bugs For Volkswagen Virgins

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

MK V fiberglass in Henderson, Nevada make the best kit I have heard but shipping is going to kill you

https://markvfiberglass.com/product-catalog/broad-eye-baja-kits-and-components/

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

My car has Mk V Fiberglass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are in Nevada, USA.

https://markvfiberglass.com/product-catalog/

Same style as the silver car above. But when mine was made, their factory was a mile from my home. EMPI sells fiberglass. They use Mark V for their supplier. They have become nearly the only manufacturer of Baja Bug kits these days.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass body kit (Baja)- Which/where to buy? Reply with quote

Hatmpatn wrote:

Is 1302 -68 a good choice?

In the US a 1302 is a 1971-1972 Super Beetle, with McPherson Strut front suspension, which is not good for a baja.

In the US a 1303 is a 1973-onward Super Beetle, also with McPherson Strut front suspension, which is not good for a baja.

In the US a 1301 is a standard beetle, with torsion bar front suspension. This is the one you want for a baja.

These off road dudes seem to use a bus transmission for a strong motor.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: