Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor jack torsion spring replacement
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Floor jack torsion spring replacement Reply with quote

Well, we all have our trusty floor jacks. This is the older of my two, the better, newer one is the 3-ton low profile higher lift jack from Harbor Freight. I've cut a circle of wood to place inside the saddle on these jacks, makes it easier to R&R VW engines too.

Anyway, the jack torsion spring (keeps handle from falling) broke recently on the decades old Powerbuilt jack.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These torsion springs are not typically available locally, but on Internet are readily available at about $6 shipped, so I bought one.

This did NOT come with installation instructions, so I google-searched, and amazingly there really wasn't anything helpful on how to do this, even on YouTube. So I was on my own.

I removed the bolt on the right side (15/16 inch socket). I removed the jack handle so it wouldn't fall while doing this and bonking my bone dome. I put on my safety glasses (IMPORTANT !!!). Of course the spring had too much tension for me to just thread in the bolt, that would've been too easy. After fussin' with this for 20 minutes, using pry bars, vise-grips, etc., I also removed the left side bolt. And that way I was finally able to get the right side bolt threaded in through the spring. Then I installed the shorter left side bolt and the jack handle. All fixed.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor jack torsion spring replacement Reply with quote

Well, there's online instructions on how to fix the jack spring now!

Thank you for sharing. I'll try to keep this in mind if I ever have to replace that jack spring on my HF 3 ton low profile.

Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: