Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

I torqued the cover retaining screws on the drivers side with ZERO problems. All went well. For some reason none of the bolts were tight, so the backing plate slightly shifted side to side. So drivers side is now at 45 ft-lbs

Made my way over to the passenger side. As I tightened the bolts, something didn't feel right with the lower left bolt. It got to a point where it got slightly tight, then not at all. One more turn, and the bolt was sheared off. As I pulled out the front half, the bolt was VERY wet. Saturated with oil/grease or whatever it was. Along with the grease, came a chunk of something, maybe a piece of rubber gasket sealer. Looked like rubber, but wasn't sure. It was quite odd how wet this area was behind those bolts. The drivers side certainly didn't look that way.

I did not pull that cover off to look any further. Wasn't sure what steps to take at this point. I have the bug me video for this seal removal instruction, but with the broken bolt, it kinda changes things.

So, with that, what kind of trouble have I gotten in to, and what do I do now?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

the backing plate should not move around once the bearing retainer is installed correctly. Please recheck the assembly, please note that VW did make changes over the years, for instance the oil slinger change. make sure you have the correct parts and are following the correct instructions for your Bug. a loose backing plate could cause tranny lube loss, and brake contamination with lube, brake shoes ruined at best, destroyed tranny or a crash at worse

for the side with the sheared bolt, you may want to drill it out and use an extractor. make sure no drilling chips get into the assembly. once the stud is out, check the female threads for damage, they may need to be repaired, but maybe fine

torque of 29 to 32 ft lbs is correct for the backing plate bolts on early cars per my 1957 manual. , not 45 ft lbs

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
for the side with the sheared bolt, you may want to drill it out and use an extractor. make sure no drilling chips get into the assembly. once the stud is out, check the female threads for damage, they may need to be repaired, but maybe fine

This would be a perfect situation to use a left-hand drill bit. I bought a set online. Better hardware stores like Ace Hardware sometimes stock those.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

Agreed. I still have the VA left hand drill bit set that I bought 20 years ago when I was a mechanic, plus a larger, much cheaper set I got many years later at Harbor Freight. IMHO, they are the best solution for broken off bolts, but it requires a level of precision. (center punch it and drill it as best you can, at dead center)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the backing plate should not move around once the bearing retainer is installed correctly. Please recheck the assembly, please note that VW did make changes over the years, for instance the oil slinger change. make sure you have the correct parts and are following the correct instructions for your Bug. a loose backing plate could cause tranny lube loss, and brake contamination with lube, brake shoes ruined at best, destroyed tranny or a crash at worse

torque of 29 to 32 ft lbs is correct for the backing plate bolts on early cars per my 1957 manual. , not 45 ft lbs

Bug On!

this is where I got the 40-47 ft-lbs from. Which one do you go by?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1965withoutguesswork/108-109.jpg

Last edited by crankbait09 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

at this point, is it safe to assume that I should disassemble the whole assembly, down to the back to make sure all seals are ok? Or no need to go back that far?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

And I'm the one that quoted that book to you. The Light Blue Bentley for 66-69, it says 6mkg / 43 lb feet, by the way, which is consistent with the 40-47 range given in Without Guesswork.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

Just fix the one.
No need to fix what's not broken.
Just make sure to torque to the correct setting as the bus has mentioned above.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

this is where I got the 45 ft-lbs from. Which one do you go by?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1965withoutguesswork/108-109.jpg

My 1957 Manual is what I got the value from.
For your 1965 then go with that higher value per your data, but make sure all the parts are 1965 type, not a mix of types. My 1970 thru 1978 manual says 43 ftlbs. evidently the value changed at some time between 1957 and 1965.

as stated, the assembly changed over the years in both parts and torque values. make sure your following the correct assembly instructions for your type, and all the parts are correct for that type.

Evidently something is wrong with the busted bolt, at what torque did it fail at, less than 45 ft lbs?

also use a bolt tightening pattern, get them all snug criss cross to near final torque in stages before final torque, that may help square things up.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Just fix the one.

Good Luck.

I kinda worded that wrong, I meant....should I disassemble THIS rear wheel oil seal assembly since I will need to remove the cover to get to this bolt?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

While it will be a bit messy since all the oil in the hollow axle tube will run out, but that's to be expected. I would take it off. While you might be able to do the reverse drill bit thing with the cover on there, I think having it off would be better.

Incidentally, I just looked up the 1961 edition of Without Guesswork, it says 5.5 - 6.0 mkg / 36-43 lb-feet on the torque. The Spanish 1964 edition says 5.5 - 6.5 mkg, but then has a hilarious typo for the lb-foot rating, where it says 40-70 pound feet. I'm pretty sure I've always gone around 45.

Back in the 60s most people were using beam style torque wrenches which didn't really have the precision of the clicker style that we see now days.

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

I think when I remove the cover, I am going to remove the oil seal and check that o-ring behind it. just to be safe.

I have a 63 beetle, so I will back off the torque too. I'll take it to 30 ft-lbs.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

The bearing cover changed in 1965, but the spec in the 1964 book I mentioned above would be the same for a 1963, and it's the that same range of 5.5-6.5 metric (40-47 pound feet) I don't know why your bolt broke, but I think those are 10.9 hardness bolts which should be good for over 50!

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The bearing cover changed in 1965, but the spec in the 1964 book I mentioned above would be the same for a 1963, and it's the that same range of 5.5-6.5 metric (40-47 pound feet) I don't know why your bolt broke, but I think those are 10.9 hardness bolts which should be good for over 50!

It's really hard to say. I've only owned this bug for a month +, so I don't know the history of why things were done the way they were. I wonder since that bolt couldn't be tightened, the PO lightly tightened the bolts all the same, to keep them consistent. Hard to say. Maybe there was an issue with the hole/bolt all along. But I didn't know it till I tried torquing.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Just fix the one.

Good Luck.

I kinda worded that wrong, I meant....should I disassemble THIS rear wheel oil seal assembly since I will need to remove the cover to get to this bolt?

you may not need to remove the cover to remove the busted bolt, if the bolt is flush with the inner bearing carrier they may be no advantage to removing the outer cover. with outer cover removed, metal chips more likely to get in bearing, so tape it off well to keep chips out.

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Just fix the one.

Good Luck.

you may not need to remove the cover to remove the busted bolt, if the bolt is flush with the inner bearing carrier they may be no advantage to removing the outer cover. with outer cover removed, metal chips more likely to get in bearing, so tape it off well to keep chips out.

OK. I'm gonna attempt to use a LH drill bit tomorrow to get this out. Leaving everything assembled as is.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

Your photo didn't include the top of the broken bolt, did it have "10G" on it? That's the 10.8 grade.

I've seen it where bearing cover bolts are not tight and the action of braking makes everything shifts every time you brake, and then shift the other way when you're reversing and brake. This can, over time, add up to a lot of unintended stress for the fasteners and may have well contributed to the failure you experienced.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
While it will be a bit messy since all the oil in the hollow axle tube will run out, but that's to be expected. I would take it off. While you might be able to do the reverse drill bit thing with the cover on there, I think having it off would be better.

Incidentally, I just looked up the 1961 edition of Without Guesswork, it says 5.5 - 6.0 mkg / 36-43 lb-feet on the torque. The Spanish 1964 edition says 5.5 - 6.5 mkg, but then has a hilarious typo for the lb-foot rating, where it says 40-70 pound feet. I'm pretty sure I've always gone around 45.

Back in the 60s most people were using beam style torque wrenches which didn't really have the precision of the clicker style that we see now days.

mathematically "ft lb", and "lb ft" are the same unit.
I recall from spanish class, which I got a D- in, that they sometimes phrase things backwards to english. example... Red house = Casa de roja. The words red and house are reversed in order english to spanish. so maybe that is what gives? A literal word by word translation verses a translation of the entire phrase. Example... it would be wrong to state" house of red" in english (ie "casa de roja"), and wrong to state "roja casa" in spanish (ie "red house")

Maybe that is why I got such a grade poor in spanish errr.. I mean poor grade in spanish!

Bug On Amigo!

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: uh oh, I got a rear wheel bearing cover problem Reply with quote

The head of the bolt that broke says "DERA 10k" on top of it.
here are a couple more pictures. That bolt did not break off flush with the hole. It's down inside. I tried spraying some brake cleaner in there to clear it out, but I can't see a thing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: