Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine Reply with quote

Assuming everything is working fine on a stock 36 hp engine, what would be the expected compression ratio with new pistons and cylinder heads?

Thanks
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine Reply with quote

I see that for my '59 36hp the August '58 owners manual ('59 model year) calls for a stock compression ratio of 6.6:1. Not sure about other 36-ers but I suspect they are roughly the same. The compression ratio can/will vary from the stock figure depending on whether the pistons/cylinders/heads are stock or not and whether the heads have any flycutting done to the combustion chambers.

I have to rely on the manual because I tried to measure and couldn't when assembling my 36hp engine due to the smaller size of everything on the engine when compared to later engines. It sucks that the deck height tool I have for 40hp - 1600 doesn't bolt to the tiny bolt pattern cylinder studs on the 36hp engine. I could have rigged something up but was too lazy Razz

Also the commonly available head cc kit is only available for 85.5mm and up cylinders. For my 40 horse engine I was able to cut a 77mm chunk of plexiglass that I used along with the deck height tool to figure out compression on that engine.
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine Reply with quote

Thanks,

Sorry, I should have been clear in my question. When doing a compression test with the spark plugs out and new pistons and cylinder heads, what should the gage reading be for each cylinder - about 130 PSI?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine Reply with quote

Ah ok Smile My '58 - '60 Bentley manual calls for 110-121 psi.
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected Compression Ratio Stock 36HP Engine Reply with quote

Just checked my 52-57 Workshop Manual (page 11-1) and it says on an overhauled engine with new pistons, cylinders, and bearings, the compression should between 85lbs and 106lbs. Well, unless someone else chimes in, I'm going to assume those numbers reflect a good running stock 36HP engine.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: