Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Greetings,

So I received my baby blue navy interior 56 VW when I was 17. I was the second owner. The first picked it up in England, drove around and shipped it back home to the Bay Area.

I fell in love with it. Drove it for 12 years. Had to move on to Hondas with kids in the day. Have moved it at least 25 times on trailers, etc. It spent a lot of time in my mother's garage and has been in mine for the last 3 years.

In the process of doing my will, I thought who will love it as much as me? Can I ever restore it? What is to become of it? I don't want it chopped up or modified. I have hoped to return it to showroom stock form.

It is stock other than one new engine I think. And the transmission was replaced long ago once from non-synchornized to synchronized. Other than that no major changes.

But it hasn't been driveable for decades and to my eye it looks pretty bad.

I'm getting too old to wait much longer. How can I start this process?

Was thinking of finding the right partner who might help me restore and eventually inherit it. But we must have the same goals...

Well, I just found this forum and it is a bit overwhelming so thought I would just post and see what folks have to say.

Thanks
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Quite the story and goal. I wish you the best of success.

To help you find someone...where are you located?

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Im about 45 minutes east of Sacramento but spend a lot of time in Bay Area also.

Thanks
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Cool story , pictures would be nice to see, good luck..hopefully this will back e a build forum in the future..we all want to Shocked it.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

I will put up pictures this coming week. Wrapped in celeophane and a big red bow. She was my Xmas present. God bless my mother.

Fast forward to now.

We call her Grandmother.

Her roommate is my other keep forever vehicle, a 2004 Mini Cooper S named Brodiea. More soon.

D
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Realized I could do this from my phone. Both of us through the ages...

Many adventures. Drove cross country. Twice. Drafting behind semis to get over Rockies.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

You out by Placerville?
I grew up North of Sacramento (yuba-sutter area) and love it up there
unfortunately my work keeps me down here in SoCal.
Good luck on your hunt for help
If I lived closer I would give you a hand getting it back where it needs to be so it could move on to the next owner.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
You out by Placerville?
I grew up North of Sacramento (yuba-sutter area) and love it up there
unfortunately my work keeps me down here in SoCal.
Good luck on your hunt for help
If I lived closer I would give you a hand getting it back where it needs to be so it could move on to the next owner.

Thanks! You got it. Didn't really intend to end up in Placerville but can't complain. It's gorgeous this time of year.

Hoping there is a VW fanatic nearby.

Very Happy

Time to rebirth the '56 VW.

Second owner, Christmas present in 1970.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Amazing she looks like she was built around the same time as my "Blauchen" (May 1957) was.
I've owned him now 6 years now.

He's got 33,559 original miles and is 98.9% original, all stock is the only way to keep our cars.

Wish you were closer to me, I'd provide assistance to you, bet is to preserve the original paint and interior if possible and restore/maintain the mechanicals.

Best of luck, I love the old photos, I love cars that have this sort of history behind them, my car is ex- U.S. Navy in Germany till 1959 and then to North Carolina till the 1980's and then put in storage in a dry Ohio garage till I bought the car in 2010.

Our cars are VW paint code L331 Horizon Blue and are differently related to each other. Smile <3

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

P.S. I know a good guy in Sacramento who's able to work on your car and still keep it 100% original looking..........email me [email protected]
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:

Amazing she looks like she was built around the same time as my "Blauchen" (May 1957) was.

He's got 35,559 original miles and is 98.9% original, all stock is the only way to keep our cars.

Wish you were closer to me, I'd provide assistance to you, bet is to preserve the original paint and interior if possible and restore/maintain the mechanicals.

Best of luck, I love the old photos, I love cars that have this sort of history behind them, my car is ex- U.S. Navy in Germany till 1959 and then to North Carolina till the 1980's and then put in storage in a dry Ohio garage till I bought the car in 2010.

Our cars are VW paint code L331 Horizon Blue and are differently related to each other. Smile <3

Tom

Wow. I would have climbed in your car thinking it was mine. Navy blue inside? I will get in touch.

Do you have the wheel gas pedal?

Big thanks.

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Peaceful Acres wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

He's got 33,559 original miles and is 98.9% original, all stock is the only way to keep our cars.

Tom

Wow. I would have climbed in your car thinking it was mine. Navy blue inside? I will get in touch.

Do you have the wheel gas pedal?

Big thanks.

Yeah, almost same cars, yes mine still has the roller pedal, but my seats are German Cloth, go to my Samba page here and scroll down, you will see the once Dark Navy Blue polka dotted seats are slightly faded, but the headliner is like new.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I talked to the guy near you, he's interested in seeing the car and I think he can help you email me. Smile

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

I wish you the very best of luck finding a new home for her. How is she for rust?

Reminds me a little of this story:

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/03/04/bat-auction-s...community/

Don
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Any updates?
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Any updates?

Good vibes! Nothing done until two days ago. I am in contact with a great guy in Sacto region who restores and he is sending me tips. I bought new tires a while back. Finally had time and ability to have tire service come out and take wheels off and put on blocks temporarily. Now all wheels and new tires are loaded to go to my new best VW friend today.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

Awesome!! I hope you can get it running and driving soon. I think that its really special that you were able to hang on to your car for so long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

It absolutely sucks you're not anywhere near me. I would love to get that oval back on the road, no charge and no strings attached.

Best of luck. Hopefully someone here is closed by and can help.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Begin? 56 VW owner since 1970 Reply with quote

This is sweet Smile
I think the old Beetle will clean up nicely and am excited for you to get her back on the road to enjoy again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: