Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what to do with a bug thats been sitting
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice and reply. We don't plan to attempt driving at least for now but starting it does seem rather intriguing.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Everything looks pretty nice to me-- engine bay a bit dusty but it all looks fairly original, correctly connected and in pretty good condition. Wiring up front looks good to me too, does not look like it was molested like some I see. I'd give it a go myself, with the precautions stated earllier... but if you feel more comfortable calling someone to come take a look at it, that is perfectly understandable.

I'd also love to see pictures of the car itself!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

The Engine looks like a late 73 as it has an Alternator and a single vacum line distributer (SVDA). I would verify the title you have has the correct VIN listed as the one on the vehicle. Given it also has the red intake boots, it could be a swapped later engine installed as it has been worked on in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Condolences on the circumstances that led to the discovery.
Those few pics do show a few new parts: 2ea battery cables, intake manifold boots & a carburetor. There's probably more.
It's fine to be cautious & the concern is well understood, but she was running approx 3 yrs prior.
The underhood wiring appears just like 95% of the Beetles still out there & running strong, so I'll weigh-in with 'overly cautious' on: "My concern is wires that are 46 years old having power run through them when the key is turned.
This one I do like: "My brother says I worry to much". Very Happy

On the upside, it appears to be only moderately altered thus far - so it has much potential to make another owner quite happy.
G' luck w/ it.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Yes we did verify the VIN in window by dash just to make sure. The body has a date sticker as well. It says 8/72. I don't know if it's like cars now. Like next year's model? Maybe they didn't do that then
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Condolences are much appreciated. I'm to cautious at times I do admit. I feel a bit more reassured after reading these replies. Who knows maybe I'll be zipping around town soon.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Don't be surprised if it starts with fresh gas and a battery - I would think it will. Once your curiosity is sated, then your next step might be to sell it. You can list it right here on the Samba. If it doesn't have rust in all the wrong places, then it could be worth 2K-3K or so.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

I will get a better look at it in the next few days. I didn't look at the body much.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

The Law wrote:
Yes we did verify the VIN in window by dash just to make sure. The body has a date sticker as well. It says 8/72. I don't know if it's like cars now. Like next year's model? Maybe they didn't do that then

Yes, a manufacture date of Aug 72 would make it a 1973 model.
If the first 3 digits of the VIN number are 113, it's a 73 model (3rd digit of the VIN is the last number of the year model, so "3" = 1973.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Want to clarify what I said about using an aux gas tank...This should be used just to see if you can get it running, etc. The concern with the tank in the car is that it should be drained because the gas is probably bad. Of course, I would NEVER driver a car with a temporary tank strapped down with bungie cords... Laughing

BUT notice the refinement in the steering system over the years....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

I had one of my engines sit unused in Arizona heat for 9 years with no special preparation; and when I installed this engine, it started/ran immediately but the fuel pump gasket and carb accelerator pump gasket leaked gasoline, so those were addressed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

We are a little excited to see what happens.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Don't worry about the wiring, that's what your fuses are for and talking about fuses remove them one at a time and polish the ends and their holder and replace before removing the next one as a lot of thing won't work with a bad connection.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Illinois is a rather large state.
Can you be a bit more specific? That way there is a good possibility there is someone local to you to give you further guidance.
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

We are near the Illinois/Wisconsin border. We were actually able to find someone on the Wisconsin side that wants to take a look for us. Just have to rent a trailer to take it. Weather not very cooperative so don't know what day yet. condition will decide what we do with it. There is oil in it. Don't see any on the floor so it's not leaking. Bottom engine parts look a bit rusty. I'm gonna try to take a picture of that but it's snowing here. No light in the garage so hard to see. I'm almost intrigued enough to learn about this car. There was alot of them around when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in many years.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

The Law wrote:
...I'm almost intrigued enough to learn about this car. There was alot of them around when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in many years.

Now you're talking - if you're physically able to work on them, they're a great hobby and very satisfying to work on, get operational and drive. Lot's of challenges, but lots of reward! IMHO.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

The Law wrote:
The gas tank is empty. I don't know what the plans are for the car. I would assume sell but would have to be discussed. I did look up some places as mentioned. Nothing really close by. The neighbor said last time he saw the car out was 2015. Out driving that is. I'm certain we could get someone to look at the things you all have mentioned. My concern is wires that are 46 years old having power run through them when the key is turned. My brother says I worry to much. Been saying that for 62 years.

Your brother is correct... Very Happy back when we were kids my friend Kevin had two matching VWs in their family, both early 60s I’m thinking 62 or 63s. Anyway one of the cars had been idle for several years covered with dust stored in a carport only. The car didn’t get driven because his mom never left the house, she was a pharmaceutical drug addict and back then they delivered pills to the house from more than one pharmacy but that’s not the story.

Maybe one of us had seen Woody Allen’s movie “Sleeper” and got the idea to drive the car. We obtained a 12 volt battery and a few gallons of gas, pushed it quietly down the street and took off, two 14 year old boys on the loose. As I remember it car was 100% stock OEM with about 40k on the clock. We used the car several times and never got caught. If your car has only been sitting couple of years maybe check for mouse infestation, check the fan😀 install a battery and gas and let your brother drive. Have fun roll and the windows down feel the wind in your hair.
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

I'm gonna tell the truth here. My excitement and anticipation mounts with every reply. I thought you all would say "Yeah it's to old so don't bother" or "just scrap it". Instead you have said the complete opposite. I have sincere high hopes that this will work.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

Here's the thing....a good solid car is nice to find...And when you have a family connection, its even better....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what to do with a bug thats been sitting Reply with quote

I'm finding that out. New chapter...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: