Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

If the frame is done right, this thing is going to be a monster.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Nice find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Any extraction that involves (sort of) heavy equipment is OK in my book. That was great!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

WOW

I was just certain there was gonna be some swiss cheese below the ground line. Cool find - will be watching!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Wow, what a great find, and what a great condition for that kind of storage.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Wow, awesome find and dig out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Totally awesome mole shot and face palm shot

We Need an epic recovery thread for this and desert Bus.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

i love it!!!!! thats what its all about....
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

All day long we were all constantly amazed at how nice the bus was as we dug deeper. We had previously looked inside the bus from the cargo area and there was no rust through so I was optimistic going in but it surpassed my expectations for sure.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Good to see it resurrected. I'm sure you guys had fun. I would of been down to assist, I was in Tulsa the day before. Look fwd to seeing what Dewayne does with it, I'm sure it'll be great. BTW, what's the build date? Still have an Mcode plate?
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Build date is April 1960. I have a shot of the m-code plate in the 'Today in Bus hunting history' sticky...

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
23window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me be apart of the fun. That mole is fierce!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Man, I would have loved to be on your crew that day! But alas, I have no beard- you guys would have just sent me on donut runs... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I'm truly humbled by the friends who helped with this. A few of the crew I didn't even know except by name before we met that day. Yet everyone worked hard and we all had a great time. Now they are all contacting me and saying "thanks for letting me be a part of this"... how do I respond when it wouldn't have happened without them? What a great bunch of people...

To give due credit... I have to say this bus would never have found it's way out of the dirt and roots without Kyle and that little excavator!!!

When I get the chance. I will post more pictures of the frame, undercarriage and interior.

As far as a time line on its progress, I have two projects in the garage that will take all summer. So it won't be until this Fall that I can give this bus my full attention.

Thanks to all who have posted responses. I appreciate your comments and interest!

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

A beard was no requirement... but it may become one!

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Dewayne wrote:
Build date is April 1960. I have a shot of the m-code plate in the 'Today in Bus hunting history' sticky...

Born on 4/4/1960, dug it out on 4/14/2018 58yrs and 10 days later Very Happy

It's about 2 months earlier than my '60 So23.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Excellent post and write-up on this "dig-out"! Those crazy Europeans have nothing on us with their "recoveries"! Extremely enjoyable. I can't wait to follow your updates and progress. BRAVO!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

That makes that Kombi Dig out I did a few years ago look like a walk in the park ..... Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Congrats on the persistance in getting the family to sell, that is usually a big part of getting these old rigs.
And they burried it like that on purpose ?? Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Might as well put it here also!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

It is beautiful! I am amazed at the sheetmetal condition! Looking at the first picture, I feared the worst, but even the paint looks amazing.

Can't wait to see the progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: