Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Remarkable. The dig-out, the condition, and the teamwork. Love the group pic. Thank goodness for the mini excavator. You guys were very surgical in getting it up out of the dirt without damaging anything.

The critter looks more like a muskrat or nutria.
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

^^^ Could be.... I was thinking some kind of mole because of his size: 10 inches. He doesn't have the snout of a typical mole, but isn't as large as a Muskrat or Nutria... may be a youngster....

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Ditto to all the above comments..I'm sure what you do it will turn out bitchen.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

This is why I really like this site! Very Happy
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Debby, one of the crew, made this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBghWCyAzww&t=3s

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Dewayne wrote:

Great!
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Very cool, congrats!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Dewayne wrote:

Great!

OUTSTANDING! Great pull out. Great "speed-em-up" video (with Benny Hill music!). Just a great job.
I am glad I did not have to slog around in that Oklahoma clay. Must have been a great mess.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
All day long we were all constantly amazed at how nice the bus was as we dug deeper. We had previously looked inside the bus from the cargo area and there was no rust through so I was optimistic going in but it surpassed my expectations for sure.

I cannot understand how this bus isn't rusted out? Years & years of rain and snow (do you guys get snow in Oklahoma?) soaking into the soil surrounding the bus..... can some geologist or geotechnical engineer please explain. Seriously, I'm interested in the science.

What an amazing story, recovery & adventure!!!! Looking forward to the resto!
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

way to go !
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

The last “old vehicle unearthed in Oklahoma” story didn’t end so happily. I think it was a 57 Plymouth, buried in a time capsule in Tulsa. In 1957 when they buried it, they expected it to be cranked up upon being dug up in 2007. That didn’t happen at all.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I simply cannot believe how nice the nose and front valence are after being buried so long.
Congrats!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

so cool Dewayne. with your last DC i have no doubt this will be equally as amazing. cheers to the crew that helped dig that sucker out.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
The last “old vehicle unearthed in Oklahoma” story didn’t end so happily. I think it was a 57 Plymouth, buried in a time capsule in Tulsa. In 1957 when they buried it, they expected it to be cranked up upon being dug up in 2007. That didn’t happen at all.

HA! That was discussed Laughing

KombiMadness wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
All day long we were all constantly amazed at how nice the bus was as we dug deeper. We had previously looked inside the bus from the cargo area and there was no rust through so I was optimistic going in but it surpassed my expectations for sure.

I cannot understand how this bus isn't rusted out? Years & years of rain and snow (do you guys get snow in Oklahoma?) soaking into the soil surrounding the bus..... can some geologist or geotechnical engineer please explain. Seriously, I'm interested in the science.

What an amazing story, recovery & adventure!!!! Looking forward to the resto!

We do get snow and ice and heavy rains and droughts. It does boggle the mind. The only theory I heard that made sense was you have to have oxygen to rust.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Great rescue, I too am surprised about the overall condition of the lower half. While it obviously worked, I couldn't bring myself to rely on a half buried Bus as shelter from any sort of major weather event.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Oklahoma dirt bust have magical powers or some crap. If that was Michigan dirt, you would have gotten 3" down and the bus would have been gone completely. Good luck with your rescue. Congrats
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Well, the ladies sometimes have a clay mask and mud bath to keep them looking younger. Who knew that buses could do the same thing?!? Wink
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

That soil was possibly the best it could have been buried in. I would expect something like this to be completely roasted. Awesome stuff, I cant wait to see more pictures.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Big thumbs up to you all unearthing such a nice bus. Job well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: