Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any magic tricks for lining up existing panel screw holes?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Any magic tricks for lining up existing panel screw holes? Reply with quote

If possible I'd like to use the existing panel screw holes I have in my 58 dlx to put new panels on. Has anyone thought of a clever idea on how to make new holes in new panels to match the holes? (I hate the idea of drilling more holes..) Love to hear any creative suggestions... Thanks, Stacey
steve mighetto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the new panel fits.
Trace the new panel onto paper and cut the paper to match the panel.
Move the paper to the panel location and mark the existing holes.
Move the paper back to the new panel and transfer the hole locations to the new panel.
Paper you can see through works best.
Measure twice cut ounce rules apply.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some panels use pre-drilled holes, such as rear hatch & cargo doors

others don't
kick panels, long side panel, corner panels
Who ever installed them just drilled. There
was a standard number of screw used, but not exact spacing.
I've used the pencil mark and push a safety pin through it trick. You have to get really accurate. But if you use a pin, teh errors are
yon't as noticable Smile
You also want to make sure your old holes aren't over sized before drilling the new panel to he old holes.

You can use a hammer to tap the holes flat, which makes them smaller.
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve mighetto wrote:
Make sure the new panel fits.
Trace the new panel onto paper and cut the paper to match the panel.
Move the paper to the panel location and mark the existing holes.
Move the paper back to the new panel and transfer the hole locations to the new panel.
Paper you can see through works best.
Measure twice cut ounce rules apply.

i hear of this before but it was with clear plastic sheet, like a painters drop cloth or similar.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the slip over trim clips that are sold with speakers or other automotive brands work,use a smaller screw that that of the stock vw screw,go thru all the holes opposite so the pointed end is facing out,get the panel up to it and tap the panel with a rubber mallet on the edges,pull it off and it should be marked,theres more than one way to skin a cat,just depends how bad you want it
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4125.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an awl to find the hole and then hold the panel there while I set the screw.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a thin wood slat that is the exact same length of the panel. Drill out the holes in the correct positions on the slat, mount the slat up to make sure the holes are in the correct position, then use the slat as a guide on the panel where to drill the holes. I hope that makes sense! Surprised
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a full sized heavy paper template. At Home Depot, you can buy some very heavyweight paper used between hardwood flooring and the subfloor. This works excellent. Make a mark on a piece of blue painters tape adjacent to the hole where the template paper will NOT cover it. This will help you find the hole with your awl. Fit the paper into position, tape it in place, poke all your holes, double check the fit, and then transfer the holes onto your panels. Again, the blue tape will help you locate the holes in the bus when you go to drive your screws.

Make the holes in the panel oversize so the panel will have some room to move with humidity. This will help prevent warpage.
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks everyone, I'll use the template method...! Stacey
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you make a template, consider using just masking tape. Put a piece at each hole, continuing outside the limits of the panel. Use a straight edge to mark a "+" 3/4" to 1" away from the hole. Put the panel on, measure the required distance from the "+" and mark the hole. Easy, peasy!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: easy solution for holes. Reply with quote

You just need to use a hole finder. it is used extensively in aircraft sheet metal and other applications and easy to make yourself. Here is how it goes to make your own.

take two hacksaw blades lay them on top of each other and screw one end together through the holes. The holes in the other end should line up perfectly. Now in one blade hole on the other end fix a small screw or rivet that will fit in the door screw holes. do not make it long or you will not get it in under the panel. Now fix you door panel to the door with a few screws. use the hole finder for the rest by sliding the one blade behind the panel and get the rivet in the hole. Line the other blade up with the one in the hole. The hole in the outside blade will perfectly locate the screw hole for you. Do this for all holes and voila!! no mistakes.

Or you can just buy one from an aircraft tool vendor.

Reuben
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: easy solution for holes. Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
You just need to use a hole finder. it is used extensively in aircraft sheet metal and other applications and easy to make yourself.

Or you can buy one for $6.95 - they have other sizes and lengths too. This one is their smallest size that fits a #40 drill that is 0.098 inches or 2.489 mm ( a hair bigger than 3/32").

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4190.html
Quote:

PN: 13211
13" Punch Type Hole Finder #40

Spring-loaded hole finders feature hardened marking pin to permit marking sheet metal from a hidden pilot hole. Particularily helpful in marking hard-to-reach spots. Tapered back end of handles are convenient for prying sheets apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or a 6" drill through the bushing type
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dstefun on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: easy solution for holes. Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

dstefun wrote:
57palm wrote:
You just need to use a hole finder. it is used extensively in aircraft sheet metal and other applications and easy to make yourself.

Or you can buy one for $6.95 - they have other sizes and lengths too. This one is their smallest size that fits a #40 drill that is 0.098 inches or 2.489 mm ( a hair bigger than 3/32").

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4190.html

Rolling Eyes
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: easy solution for holes. Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

Oops, sorry, totally missed your original post. We buy from the yard all the time for work.
Olymale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always see that making the hole with a drill is the preferred method here. How many people have tore or spun and stretched the new panel material while using a drill? I secured all my panels in my 65 with stainless screws but used a leather punch for doing the holes. Works perfectly and the leather punch tool has 6 differant hole sizes to choose from. I also use the aircraft style hole finder.
SBS #76

58 ragtop bug
60 sc
65 splitty
67 Square Back
85 911 Carrera
http://community.webshots.com/user/olymale
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome... what a great tool! Also love the leather punch idea too.. Now I'll haver made in the shade with Kool-Aid..
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful your screws don't strip out. this happened when i used the existing holes for the door panel cards..now i get to redo the panels and move the holes over to get fresh metal.
powellscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the clear plastic sheet method, as I had a bunch of holes I didnt want to re use. I cut the template from the new panel and positioned it on the door, marked where the holes were, then put the template on the new panel and drilled thru the template and panel into the door where I knew there would be fresh metal. ONE WORD OF ADVICE.... start on the top outer corner and work across toward the vent window first, that way you will not have a gap where the door bends just below the vent window. Arrow Ask me how I know this.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powellscooter wrote:
ONE WORD OF ADVICE.... start on the top outer corner and work across toward the vent window first, that way you will not have a gap where the door bends just below the vent window. Arrow Ask me how I know this.......

the same way i know it.. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: