Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opening a motor? should I?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappyroots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

I was given a(n) 1835cc rebuilt motor, with no more than 5 miles on it (test run). its been stored in the persons garage for about 6 years after it was rebuilt. then in mine for another 5 yrs. When i decided it was time to install it i changed the oil and notice it had minor sludge, not to bad, and (looks to me of some water or gas droplets). Should i just flush it and run with it? or would it be dumb of me to open the case check it and slap it back together since everything should be new in it? what to do?
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

you should change the push rod tube seals anyway (there old ) so if it was mine I would you can do the whole thing in a couple of hrs and you could put cam break in lube on the cam also
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

Well hmm how was it stored in a dry climate? or?
You could just change oil and fire it up and see what happens.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Well hmm how was it stored in a dry climate? or?
You could just change oil and fire it up and see what happens.

Agree. why tear it apart unless you know it has problems? If you can turn it by hand, it aint seized Go for it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
knappyroots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

I live in South Texas about 1 1/2 hours West of San Antonio. Climate is dry. It was rebuilt for a costumer that never paid for it so the builder gave it to me before he past on. nothing was ever wrong with it just. im just concerned about it having some sludge and smelling like old gasoline.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. my original 1200 sat for 16 years not run. I cleaned it up, replaced seals, primed it and it fired right up...no smoke, no knocking. That was 4 years ago and still runs perfect. Heck, might as well try starting it after pre oiling and prepping for dry start up. What do you have to lose?

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. my original 1200 sat for 16 years not run. I cleaned it up, replaced seals, primed it and it fired right up...no smoke, no knocking. That was 4 years ago and still runs perfect. Heck, might as well try starting it after pre oiling and prepping for dry start up. What do you have to lose?

lmao what do you have to loose (a motor )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Heck, might as well try starting it after pre oiling and prepping for dry start up. What do you have to lose?

I say do the above, start it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
carcrazed wrote:

lmao what do you have to loose (a motor )

Highly doubt that if you take precautions. Done it a million times.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

I do agree with these guys. Change the oil, and add some zinc additive, and see how it runs. You aren't going balls to the wall down a strip right after startup, so anything that's going to happen can be handled easily. Though I don't think there's going to be really anything more than a little nose from lack of oil the first few seconds.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

Back the end of last year I purchased my 36hp that was mostly complete and ran. I was wanting to do nothing much more than clean it up, make a few checks, change the oil then use it as a backup for my big bore 40hp.
When I got it home I noticed the right side of the engine was missing the bottom cooling tin, and that squashed my original aspirations right then and there.

To be able to replace the cooling tin, I pulled the head off, at which point I noticed several missing cooling fins on the p&c's, made a note of it and proceeded onwards. I was still going to try to slap it back together with the cooling tin installed, but I noticed a lot of crud at the engine case/cylinder joint area so I decided to go further and tear it down to just the short block, with rods hanging out and clean it to prevent dirt ingress. Then I saw what I thought was slop in the rods and so I pulled the rods one by one and checked the big/small ends and bearings.

Long story short? next thing I know the case was gutted and at the car wash with me cleaning it top to bottom Very Happy I got it all back together with many updates including new p&c's, rebuilt heads, new oil cooler seals, crank main seal, oil pump, muffler, etc..

I'm not sorry I went to that level of time and expense, but if I could have I would only have carried out my original plan.

All this said, if your engine can be cleaned/checked without tearing it apart, I'd surely go for that option if I were you. On the other hand, if you have time and are sure you'll get it back together and be able to use it, then split the case to have a look.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Back the end of last year I purchased my 36hp that was mostly complete and ran. I was wanting to do nothing much more than clean it up, make a few checks, change the oil then use it as a backup for my big bore 40hp.
When I got it home I noticed the right side of the engine was missing the bottom cooling tin, and that squashed my original aspirations right then and there.

To be able to replace the cooling tin, I pulled the head off, at which point I noticed several missing cooling fins on the p&c's, made a note of it and proceeded onwards. I was still going to try to slap it back together with the cooling tin installed, but I noticed a lot of crud at the engine case/cylinder joint area so I decided to go further and tear it down to just the short block, with rods hanging out and clean it to prevent dirt ingress. Then I saw what I thought was slop in the rods and so I pulled the rods one by one and checked the big/small ends and bearings.

Long story short? next thing I know the case was gutted and at the car wash with me cleaning it top to bottom Very Happy I got it all back together with many updates including new p&c's, rebuilt heads, new oil cooler seals, crank main seal, oil pump, muffler, etc..

I'm not sorry I went to that level of time and expense, but if I could have I would only have carried out my original plan.

All this said, if your engine can be cleaned/checked without tearing it apart, I'd surely go for that option if I were you. On the other hand, if you have time and are sure you'll get it back together and be able to use it, then split the case to have a look.

I just wanted to fix that torn rear engine bay seal and, well, one thing just lead to another...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Funny how minor projects snowball.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

Don't worry.

"It's a 200-year-old Volkswagen! Wow, they really built these things, didn't they?"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Don't worry. "It's a 200-year-old Volkswagen! Wow, they really built these things, didn't they?"

Ahhh!!! Sleeper, 1973
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Opening a motor? should I? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

I just wanted to fix that torn rear engine bay seal and, well, one thing just lead to another...

Funny how minor projects snowball.

Lol yes!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: