Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fix or sell?
Fix, drive as daily
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Fix, turn into camper
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Sell as is
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Fix up and sell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I am a far cry away from a mechanic, just a broke kid with some tools and a penchant for solving puzzles that get my hands dirty. I can do most of the work, just takes research, help, and time.

Parents moved to Canada, left behind this van that they had lost the key to. It sat for a little less than two years before I got my hands on it about three weeks ago. I'm interested in the idea of turning it into a crunchy camper, but I'm poooor.

What I know about it:
1. Has supposedly just under 130k miles on it.
2. Has had the gearbox and maybe transmission replaced.
3. Has been owned by artists in the past, meaning minimal maintenance has been performed.
End of list.

Issues I've found:
1. Radio doesn't work despite all fuses seemingly being good. Want to replace with after-market sound system anyway if I can get the thing in good working order.
2. Engine cooling fans are always on high for some reason.
3. Shift linkage bushing from stick recently fell apart/off.
4. No seats besides driver and passenger.
5. Maybe fixable crack in windshield.
6. Might be leaking coolant somewhere?
7. Need to replace rear-view mirror.
8. No rear bumper.
9. Misc. body damage.

I figure I can sink about $2k into the mechanics and body. So far I've only put about $200 into it, that being in keys, registering, and insuring it, as well as replacing the passenger side mirror. (BTW, do these things come stock with two different mirrors for driver and passenger?)

I just don't really know how much is worth putting into this thing and how much head-ache I've got ahead of me to do so. Having trouble enough finding the bushing for the shift linkage, but maybe this is it on the far right?
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/gearshift-linkage-bushing-kit-for-93-2003-eurovan/
Or maybe it's this?
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/88480/Shift-Linka...QwQAvD_BwE

Here's some pictures of it:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nwvsBAVyFU-KZ7mhQDRvJxKfIXZD-wVZ

Let me know what ya'll think of it, what you'd do if it was in your hands, etc.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

(BTW, do these things come stock with two different mirrors for driver and passenger?)
yes different shape passenger mirror is more vertical and the drivers mirror is more horizontal.
I enjoy driving mine
good luck with your project
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Fix it enough to make it road legal and drive it around for a while to see if you will really like it.

This is what you want for your shift bushings.

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?cID=329&PID=3780
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

I wanted to vote for both "A" and "B".

Should fix it up and drive it as a daily so that you can learn the quirks, see how you like it. THEN, slowly turn it into a camper as you see fit. Being a "camper" doesn't mean you have to jump into cabinetry and a pop top.... could be as simple as an air mattress and backpacking stoves.

It was "owned by artists in the past"... so now it's your "empty canvas"!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
(BTW, do these things come stock with two different mirrors for driver and passenger?)
yes different shape passenger mirror is more vertical and the drivers mirror is more horizontal.
I enjoy driving mine
good luck with your project
Hank

Okay that's what I thought, suppose I could have just looked at more pictures to find out but thanks for the definitive answer!

Joshwa wrote:
Fix it enough to make it road legal and drive it around for a while to see if you will really like it.

This is what you want for your shift bushings.
http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?cID=329&PID=3780

It's legal enough that I've not gotten pulled over the little bit that I've driven it, and I do very much like how it drives. Was seriously surprised at how much get up and go it had. It almost sounds like it's got a turbo hidden somewhere in there, that's a pleasant noise when I can hear it over those jet-engine engine fans.

Thanks for direct link on appropriate parts. Looks like I had the start of the correct ones, and it does have a little trouble getting into gear so I suppose that while I'm down there I might as well replace all of them even if the parts are gonna cost more than I was hoping for. Was prepared for that on an old foreign vehicle though.

mkscott2 wrote:
I wanted to vote for both "A" and "B".

Should fix it up and drive it as a daily so that you can learn the quirks, see how you like it. THEN, slowly turn it into a camper as you see fit. Being a "camper" doesn't mean you have to jump into cabinetry and a pop top.... could be as simple as an air mattress and backpacking stoves.

It was "owned by artists in the past"... so now it's your "empty canvas"!

Empty canvas indeed. I was thinking that if I camper'd it I'd do very rudimentary and removable alterations as I was thinking about using it as a toad/tool box for an eventual Skoolie conversion.

Thanks for the help and advice ya'll. The more I'm on interest forums the more I like them.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Just a thought, but the fans will constantly run if the AC is switch on. Or you could coolant fan thermal switch that is stuck closed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Just a thought, but the fans will constantly run if the AC is switch on. Or you could coolant fan thermal switch that is stuck closed.

A good thought. I honestly don't yet know what does or doesn't work as far as center dash console controls, no lights or anything ever seem to turn on and the most I can get the fans to do is blow hot air on max either to the rear floors quietly or to the cabin loudly. But flipping switches and sliding things around didn't change anything about the fan noise, and I realized I forgot to mention that the dash does not read out the engine temperature, so my money's there.

Looking like europarts-sd is going to be receiving a lot of my money over the next few months.
http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=1949
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

If you're going to sink a bunch of money into an old Eurovan, at least make sure it's one worth bothering with. A '93 GL is bottom of the barrel desirability IMAO.
sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
If you're going to sink a bunch of money into an old Eurovan, at least make sure it's one worth bothering with. A '93 GL is bottom of the barrel desirability IMAO.

Lol, I hear ya. I'm by no means a VW aficionado/super-fan so if I don't proceed on this one I'm not gonna proceed on any, this one just fell in my lap and seemed to have fairly minor actual issues. It's never going to be a show-car, more like crag-wagon or dirt-bagger. I figure if I can get another 70k miles out of it while keeping under $2k put in I've gotten more than my money's worth, bonus if those are fun and comfortable miles, double-bonus if they teach me more about vehicle repair and how to car-camp comfortably.

Always nice to hear a negative(realistic) opinion, thanks for the input.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

sixfeetofwheelweird wrote:
[I figure if I can get another 70k miles out of it while keeping under $2k put in I've gotten more than my money's worth, bonus if those are fun and comfortable miles, double-bonus if they teach me more about vehicle repair and how to car-camp comfortably.

That's a great attitude, and if you're able to learn on this van without going to the poorhouse, that's ideal - it's just that these vans are known for eating money, especially when they've been neglected and not upkept. I won't even begin to tell you how much I've spent paying for the previous owner's deferred maintenance.

Good luck!
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

You’ve got a manual, your only issues should be those shift bushings. If you had a 99-02 gl in the same shape, I would have suggested to sell it, as that would be the true bottom of the barrel in funds risked. Right, start with electrics.

Here’s a link to a wiring diagram to get you started. Doesn’t include ac wiring however.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/EV_93-95_Wiring.pdf
sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

So...Hard plastic nylon bushings, huh? I CANNOT get this bastard to seat. Elbow grease, pliers, c-clamp, C-CLAMP ON PLIERS! Nothing has worked! It took a vice grip to seat the bushing inside its housing, I have got no clue how to apply enough force in such a small space to seat it onto the...ball rod or whatever it's called. I'm about to reinforce everything around it with custom trimmed wood, stack a metal pole underneath it, and just drop the weight of the car on it. But I'm sure that would damage it.

Alright, rant over. How do I seat this bushing onto the linkage? It's IN the linkage, I just can't get it ON. I figured this place would be my best bet, so I'm praying, please help me.

I'm sure there's some minor trick or tip I'm missing, it's such a little problem, I can't let this be the death of my endeavors with this hunk of junk.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Which # are you referring to?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sixfeetofwheelweird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

#35, though it also looks like I'm missing #62a
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

I managed to get 35 in with some channel locks with the rod in place. You should use some dish soap to help it in. Those rods do come out also. So you can try on the bench. Also, if you bought the full kit, 45 and 35 are similar, but 45 is larger. Make sure you aren’t trying to fit 45 where 35 goes. Good luck. They are a pain for sure.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

70k miles will cost You $7-10k for maintenance if you do the work yourself, not including the things that have been neglected or are currently worn out.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

sixfeetofwheelweird wrote:
#35, though it also looks like I'm missing #62a

Oddly, this is one of the situations where the bushing needs to be stuffed in at an angle, warm bushing in hot to boiling water, insert bushing at 30* to 45* angle then using a pair of channel locks, place one plier jaw on the high point of bushing & the other jaw on the bottom of the linkage opposite the high side of the bushing & squeeze while trying to twist bushing in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
70k miles will cost You $7-10k for maintenance if you do the work yourself, not including the things that have been neglected or are currently worn out.

Is that from the Alldata information? Seems pretty high compared to my experience with the 3, 93 vans I’ve had. I’d say 1-3k over the first five years of ownership.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do with this free '93 Eurovan GL? Reply with quote

If that thing was in my cross hairs I would yank out just about everything possible... especially the manual tranny and associated parts to convert a auto tranny and sell it... that alone could get ya a few sheckles

But then again I have some time on my hands and a place to store stuff... but this could be a great education for ya and help you gain some great experience..

Other that that... I see a money pit waiting to happen.... it is an addiction my friend... and once you get started there is no cure.... run now why you have the chance Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: