Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

Im finally fixed all rust on the body on my 56 Vert.
So know its time for the pan Smile

I have a 2" narrowed 58 front, with dropped spindles, and adjusters.
And will use a 58 gearbox.
But now i have an issue with the handbrake wires?

The 56 wire do enter from the rear. But the 58 wires enter from the front.

Can i Use 58 brakes with 58 handbrake wires on a 56 pan?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the early cables were longer because of where they enter the backing plates. Use the cables for the backing plates used.
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
If I remember correctly the early cables were longer because of where they enter the backing plates. Use the cables for the backing plates used.

Yes the Early cables are longer, and enter teh backing plates from behind.

I think have read somewhere that the position of the handbrake differ, between 56 and 58.
That the reason you cant use 58 brakes and handbrake wire on a 56 pan.

But I can have missunderstood it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

When the cable was changed from rear backing plate entry to front, VW also changed the length of the tube inside the chassis. The tube was shortened and the chassis exit point moved forward to better handle the shorter S bends to enter the front of the backing plate. 56 and 57 are the same. 58-64 are the same. I have not looked at the 65-67 for a long time but according to parts numbers those are also the same.

It does not matter if you use early or later backing plates. Backing plates are rotated and/or switched left or right to match the cable entry point, front-back, top-bottom. However, backing plates should be matched to the axle tube (bearing housing) and bearing cover design as those also had subtle design changes.
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
When the cable was changed from rear backing plate entry to front, VW also changed the length of the tube inside the chassis. The tube was shortened and the chassis exit point moved forward to better handle the shorter S bends to enter the front of the backing plate. 56 and 57 are the same. 58-64 are the same. I have not looked at the 65-67 for a long time but according to parts numbers those are also the same.

It does not matter if you use early or later backing plates. Backing plates are rotated and/or switched left or right to match the cable entry point, front-back, top-bottom. However, backing plates should be matched to the axle tube (bearing housing) and bearing cover design as those also had subtle design changes.

Thanks

As I understand it i should use the axle tube with bearing cover, on my 58 gear box.

A friend of mine said i could use the 59 axle tube and bearing cover with the 56 backing plates.

If going the 56 backing plate route can i use 58 drums? my 56 ones are marginal at best.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

The 58 drums can be used with the 56 backing plates if you remove part of the outer drum. Mount them up on the axle and you will see.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

The axle tube bearing cover needs to match the axle tube.

You can run oval window brakes on later axles tubes provided you use the later axle tube bearing covers. You can run later brakes on oval axles provided you modify the oval axle tube covers to clear the backing plate.

If you are running '58 up front brakes and oval rear brakes I would recommend running the oval window FRONT wheel cylinder in the rear brakes. It provides the same brake ballance as the '58-'67 brakes.
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake issue 58 gearbox on a 56 pan? Reply with quote

Thanks guy's.

I will give it at try and let you know how it goes..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: