Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kcin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
If you have a place to put it, you could offer the guy $250 - $300 if it has a title, and stash it for spare parts. Worst case you could part it and get your money back out.

That's the problem; unfortunately I don't really have space for more than one. I would be keeping whatever project I buy at my grandparent's place while I worked on it over the summer.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

You are smarter than 90% of the newbies to The Samba (including myself). You asked questions before buying a rust bucket, instead of waiting until you paid for it and got it home. Be proud that you avoided a disaster.

My suggestion is to look through a few dozen Samba threads to learn about what others have experienced during their reconstruction of a rusted bus, so you know what to avoid the next time you find one.

Best of luck to you! You find the right one.
Or, more likely, the right one will find you. Wink

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
You are smarter than 90% of the newbies to The Samba (including myself). You asked questions before buying a rust bucket, instead of waiting until you paid for it and got it home. Be proud that you avoided a disaster.

My suggestion is to look through a few dozen Samba threads to learn about what others have experienced during their reconstruction of a rusted bus, so you know what to avoid the next time you find one.

Well said.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Kcin04 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Here's a picture of the motor, it's hard to tell if it's the correct motor from the picture. I was going to check the engine number to make sure it was the correct year. The rust is what will either make or break the deal for me; I want to gain experience with bodywork but obviously I don't want something that's more rust than van. If the floor/frame is solid I think I'm going to go for it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Totally a parts bus or in the end it will be the best $20,000.00 bus your $50,000.00 investment bought. There are some decent vehicles that pop up in Ohio from time to time. Check out leakoil.net and head to tune up day on March 12th. in Berea if you are close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Fail

S/he is smarter than 99%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: