Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Sitting here looking at these heater boxes...
Time to weld them all back together,
With some of that Thermal Zero insulation in there,
At least along the bottom of the boxes.

Still totally on the fence about how to go about protecting the insides of the boxes from rust,
Without fuming myself out of the car when the heat is on... Confused

Was thinking of having everything ceramic coated,
Then grinding to bare metal where the spot-welds go,
Then touching it up/doing it over after assembly..

But, two things with that
(other than the obvious cost/time factor).

1. Won't that stuff burn off and stink?
2. Ceramic insulates heat transfer!

Maybe the solution is to coat the inside of the shells only,
Then assemble everything,
Then have it all coated outside afterwards..

Had a set of fully assembled heater boxes ceramic coated once,
And they tumbled them in this ceramic media that was these little white BB balls..
They were forever wedged inside there between all of the fins,
And no amount if digging/blowing would ever get them out...

Maybe it's best to just assemble them in bare metal,
And have them done ouside afterwards.
The heat will always cook the water out of there anytime the car is run.
Factory heaters don't have any paint or anything inside to protect, right?

Anybody ever do this??

Yes, I'm crazy, but here i am at the finish line with these..
(No pun intended Embarassed ).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What’s That Noise?!?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Cerakote paint. I painted my header/muffler with it 2 yrs ago and it still looks the same as day one. It's air cure and no fumes.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Por15 manifold gray. Coat the inside, assemble. Then coat the outside. I have done 2 pairs with it. It would also be best to bake them to make sure the paint has completely set up.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Is there a reason they can't be black zinc plated?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Is there a reason they can't be black zinc plated?

Yes....black zinc plating has a maximum continuous temp rating of a little over 425 F.

Bare zinc plating alone...has severely weakened anti-corrosion abilities over 212 F. It has to be oven baked at 500 F to dehydrate it. That helps but it makes it brittle and susceptible to thermal cracking.

With the base zinc having a nice tight crystalline grain structure...the use of the zinc blackening agent adds a metallic water produced salt to the surface. It has teh same problem. As it dehydrates....the crystalline structure cracks and flakes off.

I already went there years ago when searching for a proper blackening agent for cylinders. Black zinc will fail quickly and corrode fast.

One of the best methods for keeping rust at bay inside of the exchangers...is to go ahead and assemble them....and then ceramic or high temp enamel coat the outside..whatever you prefer. This way you have a clean, high temp integral coating of the outside.

When that is done and cured....dip the entire part in a light acid. You can do this with diluted 50/50 muriatic acid.....or even cleaning vinegar (6% acidity)...but the vinegar takes about a 3 hour soak.

Do not neutralize the part after the acid drip. Rinse it well and let it dry. Heat it if you can to about 200F. This will promote flash rust on the bare metal inside.

Then use a phosphoric acid solution...diluted. First dip....give it about 2 hours and then rinse it off and let dry. Then repeat and wipe off the excess on the outside to not mar the paint...and let it dry 24 hours.

The phosphoric acid will convert that flash rust to iron phosphate which will seal teh surface. Its not rust proof forever....but unless the inside of the exhcangers see very wet conditions without heat rapidly burning off the water...they will remain rust free for a long time.

You will get a slight amount of residue burn off smell for about 50 miles. This will keep the inside from rusting for about 3-4 years. I am sure by that point you should have some maintenance to do....so pull teh exchangers off...clean them...and repeat the phosphoric acid dip.

They can last nearly forever this way. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Cerakote thermal transfer on the inside.
Cerakote thermal insulate on the outside.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Cerakote thermal transfer on the inside.
Cerakote thermal insulate on the outside.

Yeah...but you cannot apply it with any precision...inside.... once its tack welded together....and you cannot properly weld it if its applied in advance.

Either way....it leaves the crevices or tack weld spotw bare which are the most rust prone.

Just use a water thin rust converter on the inside. Its also a damn site cheaper than $80 a pint....though Cerakote is a killer product. Its the assembly of this part that makes it difficult to use on the inside. But its perfect for the outside. Ray
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

One of the weld through primers or corrosion protection aerosols should work well.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

I've always used plain old Tremclad or Rustoleum, it's never burnt off (except when directly on an exhaust pipe) and some is going on 20 years just fine.

Why not put the shells together with nuts and bolts or pop rivets to allow easy dismantling for inspection every few years?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Some great suggestions so far..
Thanks for your time, guys.

I'm really leery of using something inside the boxes that will be burning and stinking.
Anyone who has lived with an old set of these in the winter will know what I mean.
(What eye mean Laughing )?

If I had a chance to test a few boxes, I'd be more willing to try something that was a paint or other coating.
Only ceramic coating have I actually run inside a heater box,
And the stink eventually went away.

Ray,
Why do you recommend using an acid prior to the phosphoric treatment?
I had heard that a light coating of rust was good for starting the iron phosphate conversion,
So why not just get them wet, or leave them out overnight in the dew, or something?
I'm leery of using acid on some boxes that just got painted on the outside...

Surely the phosphoric acid stink would go away fairly soon.
Using it on other stuff, it can really burn the eyes if not diluted.

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best finish For Inside Heater Boxes? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Some great suggestions so far..
Thanks for your time, guys.

I'm really leery of using something inside the boxes that will be burning and stinking.
Anyone who has lived with an old set of these in the winter will know what I mean.
(What eye mean Laughing )?

If I had a chance to test a few boxes, I'd be more willing to try something that was a paint or other coating.
Only ceramic coating have I actually run inside a heater box,
And the stink eventually went away.

Ray,
Why do you recommend using an acid prior to the phosphoric treatment?
I had heard that a light coating of rust was good for starting the iron phosphate conversion,
So why not just get them wet, or leave them out overnight in the dew, or something?
I'm leery of using acid on some boxes that just got painted on the outside...

Surely the phosphoric acid stink would go away fairly soon.
Using it on other stuff, it can really burn the eyes if not diluted.

Because of two reasons

1. Acids.....will dissolve ALL rust down to bare metal....quick. its the fastest way to get rid of all crusty rust.

2. Phosphoric acid rust conversion treatments are 100% worthless.....unless they have something to convert. They offer 0 protection by themselves. They MUST have SOME iron oxide to convert to iron phospate.....or they do nothing. Just a waste of money.

And.....the use of an acid like muriatic....or even a long soak in strong vinegar.....causes hydrogen embrittlement of the metal surface. While this causes destruction and cracking of "rare earth" metals......it simply makes ferrous metals......susceptible to flash rusting due to breaking down surface ionic bonds and leaving a lot of free hydrogen and oxygen hond sites ready to bind with water and rust.

But flash rusting.....is only a couple of microns thick. Let it flash rust.....and then treat it with phosphoric acid.....and that very thin, even layer of rust is converted to iron phosphate....which is pretty damn rust resistant, especially in areas that are not just soaked with water and have enough heat in them to drive away moisture.

Using an acid first.....makes a very evenly flash rusted surface instead of just a patchy mess.

Its not as rust resistant as it could be if you treated it and painted it......iron phosphate surgave conversion is just qbout the worlds BEST primer for a wide range of coatings.

This is exactly what the prime industrial purpose for black phospate coatings is.....rust resistant, high adhesion primer.

The phosphoric acid residue will burn off faster than almost any paint.
If you are worried about using a "light" acid on something just painted.....then the paint is worthless. Wink
Acids will not affect good, properly cured paint. Caustics.....like sodium hydroxide......will affect paint.....not acids.

By the way....do not use strong acids on parts that have surface spring tension....like springs and sway bars and torsion bars....or even CV shafts. That hydrogen embrittlement makes them susceptible to cracking. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: