Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cabinet edge
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: cabinet edge Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what causes this and how do I fix it?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

My understanding is that the rubber shrinks with excess heat. then I suspect it creeps along the groove in the cabinetry. Perhaps repeated cycles causes it to loop as shown.

Were the ends of your trim short of the cabinet ends?

Haven't had this problem on the stove cabinet, but on the rear shelf. My cure was to remove the trim, heat it considerably in hot water and stretch it.

Then with Goop, Gorilla Glue or similar, glue one end and force the trim back into the groove along its length. Perhaps dabs of glue along the groove would also help.

Next a small nail or tack through the trim into the groove in the wood held the ends in place. Haven't had further shrinkage in about 9 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

thanks so much for the help.

Yes the wood is exposed for a considerable distance on both ends. Its interesting that if heat is the culprit, that the looping is on the sink side of the cabinet instead of the stove side.

After you took the trim off and heated it in hot water, did you have to use a lot of force to stretch it out? How long did you heat it for? Also, did you reapply the trim while it was still hot? Thanks it advance for your response.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

I’ve used a heat gun when I extracted a portion of a trim run to heat up the trim and reinsert it. A harbor freight heat gun on high can deform the trim so use caution.

Just another way to trim a cat...or something.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

In the desert SW that stuff shrinks like no ones business. Mine are 2" short in some sections. Ive resorted to using salvage material to fill in. Hadnt thought of heating it and stretching it. Goood idea.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

Zitty, Sorry I can't recall how long it needed heating. Just hung a weight on one end while the other was hung up. Then re installed it while a little bit warm - not hot nor cold.

I suspect the reason the sink end would be shrunk would be heat from the driver's window on a hot sunny day, rather than heat from the propane stove.
As jimf said - be wary of using a heat gun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

Heat & (re)stretch?
Fantastic tip !!!
I’ve been waiting for that tip for a LONG time. Thank you!

I’ve cut out the rib at corners so it bends easier, but have never re-glued.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

Heat and stretch, but also add a nail to the end to keep in place. I use a small finishing nail.
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: cabinet edge Reply with quote

thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: