Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

I was looking at the 5 car economy test R&T did and the Pinto and Super Beetle seemed well matched with 1600 cc engines and 4 speeds. They both got 21.1 second 1/4 mile times, and around 80 mph, but the Super Beetle was 6 mpg better on fuel economy. That seems like a remarkable advantage in efficiency to deliver the same performance with a huge gas mileage advantage. Cool
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

And yet folks went out of their way to develop an intake to mount the Pinto's carburetor on a VW, so they too could get worse fuel mileage.
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
And yet folks went out of their way to develop an intake to mount the Pinto's carburetor on a VW, so they too could get worse fuel mileage.

Both cars had 4 wheel drums, although the VW outperformed many cars with front discs. You could get all the above good points from the normal $1,815 Beetle that undercut the Pinto by $125.

The other point is that the 1.6 liter Pinto was unavailable with an automatic or a/c. You could get both on the VW Beetle, and the VW's $267 a/c was quite a lot cheaper than any of the opposition offered. Ok, it wasn't as effective as the Pinto or Vega's factory a/c, but it was still better than driving a base Pinto with no a/c in the desert. Smile

It makes you wonder why buyers were switching to Vega and Pinto in the early '70s? Especially with the very bad quality of the domestics, and their shorter warranty. Cool
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

[quote="tlake"]
mukluk wrote:

It makes you wonder why buyers were switching to Vega and Pinto in the early '70s? Especially with the very bad quality of the domestics, and their shorter warranty. Cool

Body "style". lol
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

The group that I hung around with in High School thought highly of the Sedan Delivery. Chevys, Fords, Mopars whatever they were all cool. When Chevy came out with the Vega in 1970 I zeroed in on the Panel. I resolved to get one. In late 1971 I went to the local Chevy dealer to discuss buying one. When I heard you couldn't get the GT package like you could with the Hatchback and wagon I was disappointed. I eventually realized that I couldn't afford one anyway. So I stuck with VW's.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

Notice how quickly those two vehicles were replaced by better rebadged import cars just to compete "globally." Mitsubishi saved Dodge, Kia and Mazda saved Ford, Isuzu Chevy...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

tlake wrote:

USA USA USA Confused

Makes me wonder why people weren’t switching to Corollas and Civics in the 70s past the west coast.

We helped develop some of most reliable cars after we destroyed those places Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

And I will add. I’m a bit bitter. My wife’s 1 year old BMW was towed today. Thank god I leased it. I dork on 40 year old German cars for fun. My 10 year old Subaru runs tough. Never left me hanging. Twisted Evil

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

tlake wrote:
I was looking at the 5 car economy test R&T did and the Pinto and Super Beetle seemed well matched with 1600 cc engines and 4 speeds. They both got 21.1 second 1/4 mile times, and around 80 mph, but the Super Beetle was 6 mpg better on fuel economy. That seems like a remarkable advantage in efficiency to deliver the same performance with a huge gas mileage advantage. Cool

What were the other 3 cars tested, and where did each come out in the contest?

I get the feeling the SB scored last or next to last, since you only compared it to the Pinto-- even with all its "advantages." Rolling Eyes

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
tlake wrote:

I get the feeling the SB scored last or next to last, since you only compared it to the Pinto-- even with all its "advantages." Rolling Eyes

I chose the Pinto as a natural car to compare because it was also a 1.6 liter car, and new for 1971. The only other 1600cc car on test was the Datsun 510, its famously zippy motor made the car much faster, but its economy was 3 mpg worse. The other 2 cars were the Vega & Toyota Corona, both with much larger engines.

Toyota 1st, Datsun 2nd, Vega 3rd, Pinto 4th & SB 5th. However, not even the Japanese could do better than a 12/12 warranty and the SB had the lowest rpm at 70 mph (3,500 rpm). Interestingly the revised 1977 Gremlin brought back the 24/24 warranty, and I don't think any other car had such a warranty by then.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

tlake wrote:
sb001 wrote:
tlake wrote:

I chose the Pinto as a natural car to compare because it was also a 1.6 liter car, and new for 1971. The only other 1600cc car on test was the Datsun 510, its famously zippy motor made the car much faster, but its economy was 3 mpg worse. The other 2 cars were the Vega & Toyota Corona, both with much larger engines.

Toyota 1st, Datsun 2nd, Vega 3rd, Pinto 4th & SB 5th. However, not even the Japanese could do better than a 12/12 warranty and the SB had the lowest rpm at 70 mph (3,500 rpm). Interestingly the revised 1977 Gremlin brought back the 24/24 warranty, and I don't think any other car had such a warranty by then.

Gimme that Datsun 510 any damn day of the year. My grandparents had a 510 hatchback and that sucker was a blast to drive- and handled exceptionally well in bad/ winter weather, I dare say better than the bug.

1600 SP engine
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

My first car was a 1968 Datsun 510. Loved it!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

As Bob Hoover states the ACVW needs more infrastructure to maintain as in a engine re-manufacturer ,etcetera.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

Chevy Vega.. Yikes! I shuttered when I read "Vega". What a royal POS that thing was. Blown head gaskets, front frame head, crossmember rust outs, it has to go down as one of the cheapest, poorly made cars from the 70's that Detroit put out.

Well, at least it didn't blow up when rear ended, did it? Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Chevy Vega.. Yikes! I shuttered when I read "Vega". What a royal POS that thing was. Blown head gaskets, front frame head, crossmember rust outs, it has to go down as one of the cheapest, poorly made cars from the 70's that Detroit put out.

Laughing Applause Applause Ford Maverick. Ford’s “Import Fighter”. Another pile of crap.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I was just waiting for someone to say that, lol Exclamation Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I believe the Vega was the car which had the maintenance schedule of:

Fill up oil.
Check fuel level. Laughing
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

Bought the 72 Vega GT. Had to change the valve cover gasket for a neoprene gasket I fabricated because of pooling oil at the edge on the valve cover. Worked on the carb and heliarced the tranny for a crack I caused. Traded it off at 92,000+ miles. Must have had the only good Vega. Girl friend had the Pinto and never could tune up to run smooth. She traded for a 74VW then it went for a 76 Dodge W100. Got the current 74 SB from the original owner in 1982.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
And I will add. I’m a bit bitter. My wife’s 1 year old BMW was towed today. Thank god I leased it. I dork on 40 year old German cars for fun. My 10 year old Subaru runs tough. Never left me hanging. Twisted Evil

Sorry but as a BMW shop foreman I can tell you the quality of these cars has gone to the shithole since 1999. Never would I own one (unless pre'99), even knowing how to fix them.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Road & Track's Pinto Vs Super Beetle 1971 figures Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Sorry but as a BMW shop foreman I can tell you the quality of these cars has gone to the shithole since 1999. Never would I own one (unless pre'99), even knowing how to fix them.

Sister had a 2005 325i, gave her nothing but fits. Left her stranded at least twice due to dead battery, what's up with that ridiculous charging system in those things??

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: