Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar feedback thread #1000
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

I've read a bunch of solar posts on here and they've helped me out a lot on figuring out my setup. Now that I'm about to pull the trigger and get to work I was wondering if anyone would like to give some feedback on my plan and some questions:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are circuit breakers ok instead of fuses? I'd prefer it so I could reset easier.

I'm planning on using relays tied to the charge controller LVD to keep me from running the batteries too low, like in this post. Should I fuse this circuit? And what gauge should I use? I couldn't find the resistance of my relay (linked below) anywhere.

The batt is going under the bench on the passenger side, while the charge controller,, inverter, fuse block, etc will be on the driver side.

For the panel to cc run, I can't decide what to do about wiring. The panel comes with 12 awg leads, but it's a long run from roof through vent into engine bay and through a hole I'm drilling into the bench cavity. Would 10 awg be better? And could I just attach the #10 to the #12 at the stock lead connectors?

I'm also planning on switching the ACR ground to allow me to select force separate or automatic, as shown in this thread. I don't care to force combine. What gauge should I be using there (how much current runs through that line?)

My "BOM":
Fuse between panel and cc
Fuse between cc and battery
Fuse between batt and inverter relay
Fuse between batt and fuse block relay
Fuse between batt and ACR
Solar Panel
Charge Controller
Inverter
Relays
Relay Cover
ACR
Battery
Fuse Block

I know I've linked circuit breakers instead of fuses, just hoping those are ok. If I hear otherwise I have some fuses open in other tabs. If all goes well, hopefully this'll be useful to others.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Fuses should be at the battery. The battery has the fire in it, you want to break the connection nearest to the battery.

Yes you can connect 10ga to 12ga. The wire size is not for max current its for minimum resistance. Or use 2 12v panels at 24v then small wires are OK.

I’m no expert. I just slammed a 100w system together before a trip and it worked great. 18 days on the road and I have a crappy aux battery but my Truckfridge worked fantastic the whole time. You can see which days the van was driving all day (alternator charging the battery, for example Apr9)

I used a Victron charge controller, very happy for the Bluetooth & reports on my phone. $104

Heres the last 30days. Theres more detailed info too. I left on Mar30, rtnd Apr16. Fridge is still running, haven’t emptied it yet (lazy). Where Vans parked currently its not getting great sun plus its Seattle.

I would be grateful if a solar expert could suggest the proper amp-hrs battery capacity I need from this.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Wow! That’s fancy. Is that a Victron with Bluetooth dongle? Where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

No dongle; Bluetooth inside.
$109 on Amazon

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
$109 on Amazon

I just installed a similar unit and love the bluetooth monitoring. And you can change the charge characteristics directly from the app on your phone. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Hey Sodo,

I think I like that charge controller better than the one I had posted. One question, what'd you do about ground fault protection, this is from the manual:
Victron 75/15 Manual wrote:
● Chassis grounding: A separate earth path for the chassis ground is permitted because it is
isolated from the positive and negative terminal.
● The USA National Electrical Code (NEC) requires the use of an external ground fault
protection device (GFPD)
. These MPPT chargers do not have internal ground fault
protection. The system electrical negative should be bonded through a GFPD to earth
ground at one (and only one) location.

I've tried figuring ground faults out, but right when I think I understand IO read something different that throws me off. I also don't see anything about that mentioned in the manual for the controller I posted, though I don't know if that's because they neglected to mention or if the GFPD is built in; I'm guessing the former.

Sodo wrote:
Fuses should be at the battery. The battery has the fire in it, you want to break the connection nearest to the battery.

My diagram shows the fuses far from the battery but that was just to make the schematic clearer. In reality, they'd be much closer. Or was your comment related to fuses vs. circuit breakers? If anyone could provide input there that'd be great.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

tmart wrote:
Hey Sodo,

I think I like that charge controller better than the one I had posted. One question, what'd you do about ground fault protection, this is from the manual:
Victron 75/15 Manual wrote:
● Chassis grounding: A separate earth path for the chassis ground is permitted because it is
isolated from the positive and negative terminal.
● The USA National Electrical Code (NEC) requires the use of an external ground fault
protection device (GFPD)
. These MPPT chargers do not have internal ground fault
protection. The system electrical negative should be bonded through a GFPD to earth
ground at one (and only one) location.

I've tried figuring ground faults out, but right when I think I understand IO read something different that throws me off. I also don't see anything about that mentioned in the manual for the controller I posted, though I don't know if that's because they neglected to mention or if the GFPD is built in; I'm guessing the former.

Sodo wrote:

My diagram shows the fuses far from the battery but that was just to make the schematic clearer. In reality, they'd be much closer. Or was your comment related to fuses vs. circuit breakers? If anyone could provide input there that'd be great.

Looks like you never got an answer to this. NEC is used for building construction. Earth ground IS actually earth, grounded in one place. Since RVs are insulated from earth through rubber tires, and we are dealing with DC circuits, there is an RV industry set of specs, although not as robust as NEC, IMHO, but electrical principles are the same.

Sodo's advice of fusing is very important. An RV battery has enough current to melt or weld stuff in a dead short. That's why they should be either physically protected before the fuse or fused right away looking at it from the source. From the source(battery) outwards, always install fuses that blow before the rated ampacity of the wire used. For grounds, the van is the big common ground; make certain the connections are solid.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I would be grateful if a solar expert could suggest the proper amp-hrs battery capacity I need from this.

Sodo,

It appears that chart is showing that on most days your charger went into float mode (assuming white is bulk, next is absorption then float). It seems this means your load is not so high that it’s kerping the battery from getting to float (a bad thing according to the Victron .pdf below).

That said, your margin seems small, esp. when it doesn’t go into float mode here in cloudy Seattle, so more battery may be helpful if you keep the fridge on. I can’t run my TF fridge 24/7 when the van is parked at home using only the 75 watt panel on the roof, I’d need to plug in my aux. 100 watt panel to do that.

Interesting info from Victron, esp. the intelligent load reduction algorithm (if the batt. Doesn’t regularly go into float every day it will reduce the load):
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Dat...-20-EN.pdf

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the help with the grounds. I think that's what'd been giving me trouble. In the van, ground and negative is synonymous whereas in homes they aren't necessarily...right?

Are you saying fuses are a must? Or can I use the circuit breakers I linked above? I already have the circuit breakers here and would love to stick with those if I can. With regards to location, they're going to be attached to the batt box or right next to it (undecided), so very close to the battery.

On another note, would standard electromechanical relays be safe to use? The relays would be on the psgr side of the bench and the batt on the driver side. I know people like to use SSR because the EM one's can create sparks when the contacts open/close, bad newss with batt offgassing. How close is too close? The SSR's I linked didn't seem up to snuff. I tested and the labels were off (load and input sides switched) and I couldn't find continuity on the load side. Also didn't seem like the input side was current limited. Anyways, looking at these now.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
$109 on Amazon

No dongle now? Sold!

This might be some techno lust reaction, but having that kind of control / visualization through the phone makes so much sense. I like the "set it and forget it" setup that I have now (120w panel, solarepic 10A MPPT controller, MT50 LCD display) but I hardly ever, basically never, look at that display or care what's going on.

The nerdy part of me wants to see graphs like the one Sodo posted so I can over analyze, or maybe just better understand how it's being used week to week, month to month. Probably unnecessary, but really cool.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Yeah Victron now puts the bluetooth in the controller. This will allow you to gather information about solar charging and battery voltage.

However if you really want to gather data, you should look into a Victron 712 with a shunt. The shunt goes in line with your batteries ground. It can tell you how many amps you are pulling and more information. I have a friend adding this to a Lithium setup and can't wait to play with his app.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Yeah Victron now puts the bluetooth in the controller. This will allow you to gather information about solar charging and battery voltage.

However if you really want to gather data, you should look into a Victron 712 with a shunt. The shunt goes in line with your batteries ground. It can tell you how many amps you are pulling and more information. I have a friend adding this to a Lithium setup and can't wait to play with his app.

Holy crap that 712 is over $200!

I just use one like this for $10. No cool blue tooth though...

https://www.amazon.com/GEREE-Display-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Measurement/dp/B01CJGN662

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wendy.the.Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

A few thoughts from an EE.

Using the solid state relays connected to the LVD load terminals of the charge controller is an attempt at being clever, but it's actually self-defeating. This setup will have a small continuous current through the relay control coils that will always be slowly discharging your aux battery. Of course, the charge controller circuitry will interrupt the relay coil current once you reach the low battery voltage threshold at 11.1V, but now your aux battery is fully discharged. Crying or Very sad

A better solution would be to use a charge controller with low voltage load disconnect circuitry that is rated for the load that you will be running. Then you can connect your fuse panel directly to the load terminals of the charge controller as intended and ditch the interposing relay concept.

The Morningstar PS-MPPT-40 charge controller offers 30A of load control current with an adjustable low voltage disconnect setpoint so if you accidentally leave a house load on, the charge controller will disconnect before your aux battery is fully drained.

Hope this helps ya!
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Thanks for the input about the relays Wendy. I'd considered the constant draw and it's just going to be something I'll have to live with...kinda.Since drawing my schematic above, I'm actually giving each relay it's own circuit and adding a sdpt on-off-on switch in front of each. This'll let me select lvd, forced off, and forced on. Still have the relay draw when on, but when forced off, batts get to charge w/o any draw. The draw is pretty low, <1 amp with the coil relays. A higher amp lvd would be nice but too much $$$ at the moment. Tangential question, but would charge controller lvd negative act as ground when I switched to forced on? And would that be ok? If not, I could use two dpdt swtiches instead, that'd let me switch both the power and ground from lvd+ and lvd-, to batt+ and batt-.

As an EE could you fill in on any of my concerns about fuses vs. circuit breakers or using coil relays in proximity (if you could call ~3 ft away that) to lead batt?
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

After chewing on it for ~30 s, I think I'll be gonig the dpdt route above.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

tmart wrote:
I'd considered the constant draw and it's just going to be something I'll have to live with...kinda.

Prediction. You will live with it until the first time it drains the battery then you will eliminate the draw.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Yes you can connect 10ga to 12ga. The wire size is not for max current its for minimum resistance. Or use 2 12v panels at 24v then small wires are OK.

I’m no expert. I just slammed a 100w system together before a trip and it worked great. 18 days on the road and I have a crappy aux battery but my Truckfridge worked fantastic the whole time. You can see which days the van was driving all day (alternator charging the battery, for example Apr9)

I used a Victron charge controller, very happy for the Bluetooth & reports on my phone. $104

Heres the last 30days. Theres more detailed info too. I left on Mar30, rtnd Apr16. Fridge is still running, haven’t emptied it yet (lazy). Where Vans parked currently its not getting great sun plus its Seattle.

Thanks for posting real live data. I caught some shinola here early when I said to divide to rated output of solar by 4 to get real world results. That’s for the combination of cosine loss and dirt. You can see this here in your data.
Wendy.the.Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm actually giving each relay it's own circuit and adding a sdpt on-off-on switch in front of each. This'll let me select lvd, forced off, and forced on.
Good idea, this will give you the ability to kill the relay coil current(s) when the van is parked for extended periods. I'd recommend updating your schematic to reflect this concept.

Quote:
Tangential question, but would charge controller lvd negative act as ground when I switched to forced on?
The charge controller lvd negative terminal should be electrically equivalent to the negative terminal of your aux battery as well as the chassis steel of your van. All of these points are electrically equivalent because they are bonded together with low resistance conductors or sheet metal that produce negligible voltage drop when a current flows through them. Also, my suspicion is that the charge controller lvd protection is accomplished via an internal open-circuiting of the lvd positive terminal from the battery positive terminal. But, since I didn't design the charge controller, I can't say for certain.

Quote:
could you fill in on any of my concerns about fuses vs. circuit breakers or using coil relays in proximity (if you could call ~3 ft away that) to lead batt?
For the purposes of this system design a XA fuse is electrically equivalent to an XA circuit breaker. They will both open/blow if the current exceeds the listed rating for some period of time. Circuit breakers will have a higher up front cost, but provide the convenience of being easily resettable with no sacrificial components. Circuit breakers can also be utilized as a SPST switch.

Your relay control circuit does not need to be fused separately. It is effectively protected by the 20A in-line fuse between the Battery + terminal of the charge controller and the positive post of your aux battery.

You should always locate over-current devices as close to the voltage source as possible. Think about what would happen if the conductor between the positive post of your battery and your over-current protective device was to be damaged and come into contact with the van chassis. If you can't locate your protective devices immediately adjacent to the positive post of your aux battery, then make every effort to keep the unprotected conductor runs as short as possible and take steps to protect those runs from physical damage. Liquidtight nonmetallic flexible conduit is good for this because it's available in 3/8" diameters.
tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Took a while to get back on here, but I got things all wired up in the van. Or almost at least. I absentmindedly built everything so that the one circuit breaker coming from the ACR is good and close to the batt, but the others are all next to the components they protect. It's not too far across the heater core, but I'm not a fan so I bought some flexible conduit that I'll pull the wiring through today.

Here's the schematic of the system as installed. Lot of detail so I uploaded it in full resolution:

Wendy.the.Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Nice schematic update! Are you happy with the functionality so far?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: