Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar feedback thread #1000
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

And while you have a 23w lightbulb in hand, see if the panel can light it. A 50w panel can light two blinker bulbs (46w).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

I'll post results when the sun returns and I'm not at work while it's out. Might be a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Just to close this up…

The panel was dead. It shows ample voltage but no amperage, no matter the conditions. I suspected the diode in the junction box had given out (the manufacturer glued it to the front of the panel, to make it easier to mount as a low profile install) but I peeled it off and tested the leads directly. Even at 200 mA in full sun, there is no measurable flow. I had considered replacing the diode but it seems like that will be a waste of time. If there is no power at the bare leads, I don't think it's repairable.

It would have been useful to know to test that earlier in the game. It isn't much use testing amperage to the controller if the target battery is full: nothing will pass and there is no way to tell is the panel is working or not. Testing the panel before installation, without anything connected, is best. Then you know where you are.

A new 100w panel is here and tested at 2.75A in full sun, .13A in shade, so I know it works.

So check your warranties. Mine was not on the list of warrantable products so that vendor is dead to me. They have no comparable replacement, by which I assume this is a dead product line as well. The idea of a lightweight flexible panel is appealing but quality varies.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

RIP solar panel. It was time to upgrade anyway. You going back with the Victron controller?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
RIP solar panel. It was time to upgrade anyway. You going back with the Victron controller?

it was 2 years old. There was no reason to replace it. I could getting more but *in addition to* not instead of…

Not sure if I need the Victron…though if I had one to start with, I might have caught this earlier when charging dropped to 0. I'm OK with a trickle charge in the shade/low solar angle but 0 is 0. Had I to do it over, I might go with one for the ability to see the performance over time. But that would mean a total replacement of every component but the wire over about two years. Not really something you want.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

My aging transaxle has me off the road but at the same time, the sun is getting stronger each day. House battery is up to 13V and the ACR will occasionally combine the two batteries, so the starter will benefit as well. Just confirmation that the new panel is good and everything else works as expected. Having something like the Victron would save me having to meter the batteries and would also keep a running log, so I'm still thinking on that. The controller I have is good but maybe not for this application.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar feedback thread #1000 Reply with quote

Good news. The day's won't be shorter until mid-September so make hay while the sun shines...or something like that.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: