Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 58 vs late 58 differences
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Hi, picked up a mostly original capri blue '58 but it's still in the shop being gone through before I start driving it. Been garaged for almost 20 years.

I can't for the life of me find the thread where it discusses the differences between early 58s and later 58s. Even thought a '58 is close to an oval I read somewhere on here that noted in detail the differences. Can someone tell or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
"My treasure. My favorite things notebook." Spinning on a chair. Winding slopes. Echoes in the bathroom. Making eye contact with cats. The sound of walking on snow. Clouds in the night sky. Cream soda. The sound an umbrella makes when it opens. The smell of the road after it rains. The backseat of a bicyle. Being hugged. "Don't write what you don't like. Don't think about anything you hate. Think only of your favorite things, and nothing else." -Mana Ashida as Rena Michiki in "Mother"
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

The only difference I know of is the brakes, early had four bolt wheel cylinders and narrow front shoes ('57 brakes) and late had updated one bolt wheel cylinders and wider front shoes. Any other stuff? I'd love to know.

Don
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Pics!! (When you can)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Have you checked out the "''58/'59 Beetle Discussion" thread in the stickies?
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the responses! Anything helps. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere on the 58/59 thread or on some "Capri Blue" thread. Still am not having luck. I rememeber the post saying something about how someone loved 58s but especially early 58s since they retained more oval features.

I read it at like 2am so my mind is a little fuzzy about all that it said. There was a pretty extensive list from what I remember. Sorry for my crap memory!

I will definitely get some pics uploaded when I get it home next month. The wait is absolutely killing me. However, I know I bought my bug from one of the most reputable air cooled VW/Porsche shops in Japan. The owner is definitely by far one of the best I've met here and to do business with.

I had to cough up some coin for this one and will take a loss when I sell my Australian Beetle but that can't be helped. It was a long and very tough, emotional decision to get this bug. I don't even want to think about how much money I've lost changing my bug for the second time now. (This is my third bug within 6 years....) Long story short, I'm not daily driving a bug anymore so now I can finally have the bug I've always wanted and only use it for the weekends. I can finally afford the luxury to have 2 cars in Japan.

Thank you all so much!
"My treasure. My favorite things notebook." Spinning on a chair. Winding slopes. Echoes in the bathroom. Making eye contact with cats. The sound of walking on snow. Clouds in the night sky. Cream soda. The sound an umbrella makes when it opens. The smell of the road after it rains. The backseat of a bicyle. Being hugged. "Don't write what you don't like. Don't think about anything you hate. Think only of your favorite things, and nothing else." -Mana Ashida as Rena Michiki in "Mother"
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

And just for the record, this is really my last bug. Ever. That was the agreement with my wife. I understand her frustration as I am pretty disgusted with myself too.

However, her mind changed about lots of stuff regarding my whole beetle hobby so that has lead me to this final decision to change my car, yet again.

Sucks now but in the long run, very worth it! I couldn't be happier. And here I always thought I wanted an oval or split. Not saying those aren't nice bugs but a '58 is my dream and perfect car.

It has all the features I love and obsess about. 50s era car, beautiful color, no gas gauge and fuel reserve lever, all original body panels and accident free, mostly original (carpet, interior paint, door panels) and very well taken car of (a true California car), very nice garage find, ice pick door handles, towel bar bumpers that are original, lots or original paint, hood hinge, fat mouth gas tank, 1200cc engine, split case tranny, 6v, and the list goes on!!!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

So you don't need seat belts cause the kids won't be in the car?
I had 2 cars for a while when I lived in Brooklyn NY, kept them on the street. The bug was stashed in CT. Friends thought I was nuts.
Hats off to you!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Oh no, it's getting some nice, WW 3 point retractable seat belts for the front. 3 point belts for the back too that can let me to hook up a car seat.

I know it's not period correct or original but I actually want to be as smart and safe as I can be. Also want to actually be abely to take the kids out on the weekends or ocassionally during the week.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
And just for the record, this is really my last bug. Ever. That was the agreement with my wife. I understand her frustration as I am pretty disgusted with myself too.

So you getting a Bus or Ghia next??? Laughing
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

'58 and '59 are the best cars ever. They retain all the oval era stuff that is so nice like wool carpets and headliner, non syncro 1st gear, 36 hp etc,etc but you can SEE out of them. I had a '57 for a while but it had blind spots you could drive a semi through. Never liked it in traffic.

Best of luck with it! Pics and posts please!

Don
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
Oh no, it's getting some nice, WW 3 point retractable seat belts for the front. 3 point belts for the back too that can let me to hook up a car seat.

I know it's not period correct or original but I actually want to be as smart and safe as I can be. Also want to actually be abely to take the kids out on the weekends or ocassionally during the week.

Kind of curious how you’re installing these. Pretty certain 58 didn’t have the upper seatbelt attachment point so unless you are allowing them to pull your headliner out and weld in attachment points you’re going to be SOL. Matter of fact, 58 shouldn’t have any seatbelt mounting points if I’m not mistaken.

BTW, I had WW static 3 point seatbelts in my 64 and HATED them. Ended up buying cheaper Chinese retractable ones and love them.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for all the advice and insights. I definitely agree about the practicality of driving an oval in traffic, especially in my corner of the world where you have kids walking to school and people on bikes everywhere. All of that on top of congested streets and some pretty curvy, narrow roads. I usually find the right time of the day to go though to avoid the rush hour. Makes the driving 100% more enjoyable here. If I still lived back home in Indiana then I'd probably go with an oval. Not sure though! I love 58s and 59s to death.

Thanks for the advice on the WW belts too. Here are the ones I'm thinking to order.

https://www.flat4.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=4113

I'm assuming you had the sames ones since these are for a '61 and forward bug.

Not sure about how they will install the belts. The shop didn't even mention about it being a problem and seems like it has some plates already welded in place for belts. They are REALLY good at what they do and very particular to detail so I'm sure they will do it right. I love how particular Japanese people are to detail in general here. Makes things like work and even building a home a pleasure. Some of the best people I've ever met have been here. Such kind and including people if you are respecable and try hard to understand them too.

I've never really had any bug that had comfy seat belts so I'm sure I'll get used to them like I did with the belts I had in my Aussie Bug. They were way too tight but all they needed was a little adjusting and getting used to. Guess I'll have to sacrifice comfort over looks. I can't imagine sporting cheap Chinese belts in my nice '58 even if they were a million times more comfortable. Call me crazy though, I know. I am.

Thanks again everyone. I won't be getting the car until May the 21st I think. So about another month.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have you checked out the "''58/'59 Beetle Discussion" thread in the stickies?

Although some of the pics may be gone (thanks photobucket) there is info on early and late 58 differences in the 58/59 thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Yeah I checked the 58/59 thread but no luck finding that post for the life of me. It's ok. I'm sure I'll find it eventually and it won't be what I remembered.

Thank you all so much for the help.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

....just don't ask us how to modify that car into a split beetle.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Laughing yeah, I know I'll be shit outta luck from everyone if I pull more stunts like wanting to cut up a preserved nice old bug like that. What can I say. I've already beat myself up enough about my past mistakes and am trying not to get stuck in the past. I've still got lots to learn but am that much more on my way now and finally have the bug I've always wanted.
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

Small update, should be picking the car up next Wednesday, May 23rd! I have been pretty anxious but have been trying to wait patiently the best that I can. The wait is literally killing me.

I kept wonderin what in the hell was taking so long and if he was building the Millenium Falcon for me or something. Laughing

While the previous shop I bough my other VW at was okay this new place is really something. I'm very impressed at all of the work he has done so far and that he is thorougly going through the car and doing much more than what was agreed on when I bought the car. Now I know why this shop is very firm on their pricing and there is little room for negotiating. They really know and do their stuff the way you'd do it if it was your own car. Very careful to details.

So far they have overhauled the carburetor, fuel pump, done a complete tune up of the engine and transmission, replaced all cables (clutch, accelerator, parking, etc.), completely disassembled all the brakes and overhauled them inlcuding some king and link pink work (suspension, put new tires on, new muffler, steam cleaned the underneath and undercoated it all with a high quality undercoating, and took care of all the road/inspection testing that has to be done in Japan before anyone dares drive it on a public road.

Also said they went through all the wiring and cleaned it all up and supposedly all is is in perfect working order. Also said something about a small rust spot on the deck lid they cleaned and fixed up. Said all is good on the exterior and nothing funny going on with rust or something lose waiting to fall of. I've had bad luck in the past with headlight rings falling off, wiper arms, hub caps, you name it. I'm even OCD about my bugs and still have had a strain of bad luck. I'm still going to stay on top of it all as I can't afford to have anything fall of this car. Way too much money has went down the drain on all of my stupidity in chaning my bug twice now. Crying or Very sad

I think they are currently working on the seat belts while I'm waiting for the new license plates and insurace to go through.

It could possibly be a little later than the 23rd but I think the shop should have it done by then.

Oh, how to kill another week. Really wanting to blow through this week and get my bug. Good thing I've got two little ones and a full time job that keeps me on the run excpet for the 6 to 7 measely hours I can sleep.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

How technical do you want to get? A '57 and '58 are only similar in a few areas.
Late '57's had oval brakes still and are very expensive, the fender/gas tank/bumper/and other bolts were changed from 14mm to 13mm in April of 58, and a few other changes were made throughout 58. Late '58's don't have the ramp in the center of the bottom of the spare tire area, '58 front seats have curved backrests, '57's are straight, and on and on. What information are you looking for?
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

I really wasn't wanting to get into any minor differences such as bolts sizes, but was looking more along the lines of changes you can spot more noticably.
Such as any body panel or cosmetic differences.

I know it sounds vague but any information known is greatly appreciated. Didn't know about the seat and spare tire well area differences.

By the way, picked up my car last week and man! She is a beauty. The shop did a fantastic job going through the car. They told me since it hasn't been driven in 20 years, there would most likely be other issues that would arise as I drove it. And there have been. No worries though! The car is completely covered for 2 months and they have agreed to do any repair (within reason) for free.

The shop is over an hour away and since I'm busy at work and home I can't really make it in there as often as I'd like. So, the guy tells me that he's sending a truck to pick it up AND drop off a car I can use until it's fixed. Will even deliver it back to me once it's finished. Talk about service! Damn!

Once I get the car back and all repairs have been made, I'll post some pics of the final results.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 58 vs late 58 differences Reply with quote

I don't think there are many differences between early '58 and late '58 cars, but there are some neat similarities to the ovals, particularly on euro-spec cars.

I too really like the '58 and '59 years, they have a simple elegance to them without being too archaic. The tidier cabin is particularly nice, with a simple steering wheel and simple dash layout that is more graceful than in the ovals, or in the later cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: