Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

Hello Forum Members,
I continue on with my ground-up restro of my '69 Bug.
In searching the forum, and going through all of my various vendor catalogs, I'm not able to determine the purpose of the mounting studs on the rear wheelhouses - as shown in the pics - some orig paint showing, and painted over stud(s). This was an orig California car - if that might help in figuring out the purpose of the studs.
I'd certainly appreciate any/all input on this. Thank you much!

right rear 1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

right rear 2

left rear 1

left rear 2

TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

They are for the Z bar
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

In the previous years they had what was called a "Z" bar. It served the same purpose of a sway bar. To save money, VW just left the attachment on instead of having to redo the whole body just to get rid of the mounting points.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the Z-bar functions with a swing axle. It's not a sway bar, and isn't compatible with the later IRS.

Discussion regarding the function of the Z bar will end up in differing opinions and long winded debates.... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

Wow. TheSamba Forum rocks, and comes through once again!
Without the forum, and sometimes YouTube, I'm sure my project could take 2 to 3 times longer to complete...
Thanks to all!
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

The z bar’s function was to work as an extra damper. They could have softer torsion springs to give the car better handling when there was only one or two persons in the car. When there was a lot of luggage and many person the z bar would «activate» and work as an extra damper to get a little stiffer car
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Bug - Rear Wheelhouse Mounting Studs Reply with quote

From Bentley’s Official Service Manual (’66-’69—Blue Manual)

Transmission and Rear Axle, Page 70, Section 11, Equalizer Springs:

“The purpose of the equalizer is to produce an additional progressive spring action to assist the torsion bars when under load. Because the operating levers slant in opposite directions, the action of the equalizer spring does not affect body roll, and the front axle assembly is there-by enabled to absorb more roll to give better cornering of the vehicle.”

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: