Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Hi all.

As the title says, although I've figured out the safari installation, I'm not quite sure how they fit in relation to the headliner. Any tips or photos would be greatly appreciated. Ok, so I'm using an aftermarket creative kit, but are the washer & bolt head really both visible on top of the headliner? Were these originally colour coded? I assume these were originally flat headed bolts?

For information these are going in my latest project ....... a '54 deluxe.

Many thanks indeed for any help that anyone can give, and apologies if I'm being a fool and not spotting a previous thread or photos Embarassed

Ben Very Happy
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Short answer (best guess) imo is both washer and screw exposed, on top of the headlining, in their natural finish. I very much doubt the inner fixings would have been painted, as this would have looked gaudy. And VW didn't do gaudy.

The fixings overlaying the headlining would also make sense in that the headliner was originally stuck flat against the upper windscreen inner panel. On aged original buses, it appears the glue dries/fails and this area of headlining billows out.

It is difficult to find evidence. Maybe surprisingly, very few surviving deluxes were original safari buses. And of those that were, none (that I can recall) are still in fully original shape. It's also rare to see a picture of the upper windscreen inner panel area. The main bus that I am going by for my conclusion is an original factory safari bus which has had its headlining replaced a long time ago.

Most deluxes sporting safaris now have had them retrofitted. Rikki has his fixings hidden under the headlining (which is billowing out). Mark Rafferty's old 54 dlx has the fixings exposed on top of the headlining...and who would go against what Mark Rafferty does?

It looks to be a similar story with Standards. I'm thinking Buzz's Standard may have been a factory safari bus.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Helpful post if only in that you've confirmed what I was thinking.... and from what you say so does Mr Rafferty. I'm gonna go with you and Mark. I wouldn't go against what either of you guys do when it comes to the details to be honest Wink

Kasten68 supplied this photo which doesn't help with the headliner detail but backs up the "natural finish" thinking. I'll add it here for future reference(Thanks Yann!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Factory safaris (redone headlining) in a '54 deluxe
Most reliable example I have
Note the washers are relatively small diameter (some owners have used washers that are far too big)

Retrofitted safaris (repro?) in Mr Rafferty's restored 1954 barndoor deluxe

Retrofitted safaris (repro?) in Mr James' 1954 deluxe
Fixings hidden under the loose original headlining

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Nice photos. Thanks Wink
rikki james
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Nope... self tappers made to look like OG bolts Wink
Kasten68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Kasten68 supplied this photo which doesn't help with the headliner detail but backs up the "natural finish" thinking. I'll add it here for future reference(Thanks Yann!)

Cheers Ben! Very Happy
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Don’t have access to my pictures now but you wanna take a look at the Maltese bus that was at BenPon2.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

Older replacement headlining. Highly likely to be original Fixings. 1954.

The first picture in this thread is also of this Maltese bus.

oring71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Safari installation query! standard / deluxe with headliner Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Older replacement headlining. Highly likely to be original Fixings. 1954.

The first picture in this thread is also of this Maltese bus.

Let me know if you need any more details pics of the screws, washers etc from off our Maltese samba, I would be more then happy to help.
As stated, the headliner is not the original but the safaris and all hardware are all original.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: