Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross Country Drive
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jml01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm not sure if this belongs in the General Chat or in this one so let me know if I've posted in the wrong place. I don't own a VW, but I have my heart set on a pre-'68 so I figured this might be the right one.

So, without further ado, I've had this idea that I've been thinking of for a while now and I've finally decided to pull the trigger this summer. I have some cash saved up and some time off, so I'd like to fly out to CA (or somewhere out west) and buy a pre-'68 VW Beetle and drive it back to my home in AL, stopping at all the national parks and various other spots along the way. I'm starting my search now, emailing sellers on craigslist, but I'd like the advice of this forum before I make any big moves. I'm thinking I could get something pretty good and reliable in the 6k-10k range??

So I have some questions:
-What's the best place to find my Beetle of choice for a reasonable price (craigslist, this site, etc.)? I'd like to start in the SF area and have a few choices in mind if that helps.
-Is there any particular model year that I should be looking for?
-When I find it, what are some of the things I should look for to ensure it can make the trip?
-What are the issues I'm most likely to run into and what should I bring to solve them (if I'm stranded in the middle of the desert)?
-Has anyone on here ever done this?
-Am I an idiot?
-Any other advice? Places to visit on my way?

Thanks!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

What's the best place to find my Beetle of choice for a reasonable price (craigslist, this site, etc.)? I'd like to start in the SF area and have a few choices in mind if that helps.
http://www.oldbug.com/sales.htm

-Is there any particular model year that I should be looking for?
A type 1 bug

When I find it, what are some of the things I should look for to ensure it can make the trip?
Tools and read up on what others have done...dell phone credit card

Has anyone on here ever done this?
-Am I an idiot?
I have done this twice well actually 4 times. 2 times when I was in my 20's and a few years ago.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Hi, well good luck with your search, I don't have any advise, only my experiences. I have 2 vow's, a 72 bug, and a 80 westfalia. for me, a good day is when i make it back from the local 7 eleven! Sounds like to me, you will need something with a fresh and reliable rebuild, a whole lot of tools, and a wing and a prayer for such a ambitious trip. That to is my dream, but with a lot of cash invested in the camper, I'm still not able to go anywhere. Hope you have better luck, and never give up on your dream!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

If your mechanical aptitude is not good, I would not consider this trip as you propose it. If you're comfortable with basic mechanics and roadside repairs (adjusting/replacing points, setting ignition timing, replacing a broken fan belt, doing basic electrical diagnosis) and you have the tools with you to do that, then you're on a better footing.

The problem you'll run into is you're buying a ~50-year-old car whose history and current condition are unknown to you. Even a really nice example is going to have issues that need to be identified and sorted. The best time to do that is local shakedown rides before setting off on a cross-country adventure.

If you get into a jam on the road you are largely going to have to rely on your own knowledge and mechanical aptitude to fix it, because the odds of encountering a mechanic knowledgeable enough to properly work on it somewhere along your route are very low.

From a critical safety standpoint you at least need to know that the brakes are in good condition and that the steering coupler isn't rotted.

To keep your engine from grenading along the trip, you will need to ensure that the cooling system is in good order including that all tin is present as is the rubber seal that seals the gap between the tin and the body. If you don't know what you're looking for in this regard, you could miss something critical and wind up destroying the engine.

The problem is that you can't trust that the PO or his/her mechanic knew what they were doing so you will have to go through it and kind of verify that things were done right.

I don't say any of this to discourage you, it sounds like it could be a great adventure, but just go into it with your eyes open about what you're getting into.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

If this is your first ACVW, put me in the "this is a really dumb idea" category. Unless you can buy a car that has been rebuilt and driven long enough to shake out all the issues or verified as having low mileage and been checked out by an honest, knowledgeable ACVW mechanic, this is potentially a REALLY bad idea IMO.

SJBartnik summed it up very well.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

That’s a real gamble man... if you want a beetle... buy the most solid, original you can find and have it shipped. I’d choose a modern car for a cross country trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

I’ll deviate from the wet blanket crowd. Buy a nice 67 bug stock because that’s a proven design and is geared for the highway. Carry a cell phone a AAA card have the car checked out top to bottom before you leave. I’ve driven air cooled VWs many a mile and can count the times on one hand when they let me down. Good luck and have fun realize your dream.
jml01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Thank y'all for your responses! Fortunately I'm semi-literate when it comes to working on vehicles, I drive a jeep that's as old as I am so I pretty much have to be. Anything that can be done on the side of the road, I'm probably capable of doing, I'd just like to know what I should bring (besides a fan belt and wrenches, that's already on my list).

Unfortunately for those that would try to talk me out of it, I'm afraid I'm too far gone haha. I'm still relatively young ( 28 ) and may never get the chance again. Anyways, I know craigslist is the Wild West when it comes to making a big purchase but I'm having some luck reaching out to people and getting them to let me know of any issues they have had. Still checking out a few other outlets though.

In the modest amount of research I've done I've gathered that the '67 is what I should be looking for, but I suppose I'll always get some differing opinions.

I guess whenever my plans become more solid I'll update this and possibly document my trip on the forum?

Thanks again!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ll deviate from the wet blanket crowd. Buy a nice 67 bug stock because that’s a proven design and is geared for the highway. Carry a cell phone a AAA card have the car checked out top to bottom before you leave. I’ve driven air cooled VWs many a mile and can count the times on one hand when they let me down. Good luck and have fun realize your dream.

You left out the part that you’re a frickin mechanic.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Are you looking for a 67 and earlier or a 68 and newer? Either one just take your time and enjoy the ride. I guess that a decent set of tires would be a requirement in my list not to the age limit of the tires.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

wow I'm dumb founded these cars where meant to drive not to sit in storage Sunday drivers I don't get it I think anyone a few spare parts can make this trip work if you have a good running car take a fan belt a throttle cable a clutch cable points condenser an a good small set of tools GO FOR IT

oh and if I was able to do this I would jump in my 1960 in a minute and make the trip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Yes, Zundfolge is. But just in case you hadn't noticed, these antique cars ain't fricken 747s.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

The main thing for you is to find a mechanically solid car without a bunch of previous owner goodness to worry about. Since you have the opportunity to make this trip, do it! Even if you break down, thats all part of the trip you won't forget.

My cousin and I made a 6500+ mile cross country trip in a 65 bus in the 90's (No cell phones). We left with 10 bags of groceries and maybe a couple wrenches... We ran out of gas outside Amarillo, The muffler came off while we were headed up the PCH and the shift coupler died somewhere in Idaho I think. We drove to Boulder with a vice grips holding our shift rod in place. Those memories just can't be replaced, it was such a fun trip.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Yes, Zundfolge is. But just in case you hadn't noticed, these antique cars ain't fricken 747s.

They're also prone (due to age and PO neglect, not design) to being temperamental and somewhat unreliable at times. I'll stick by my recommendation that unless you are very familiar with ACVW's (and carrying a box of spares, and if you have to ask what to bring then you don't have enough experience) and/or have a car that has been thoroughly checked out, such a venture would be somewhat foolish. For the " I did it 2-3 times in my 20's" crowd, good for you. Things are a hell of a lot different now than in the 70's or even 80's. Shops that can work on ACVW's are fewer and much farther between, so breaking down on the side of the road is going to be an adventure in and of itself.

A tale of two cars... I bought a 64 2 1/2 years ago that I'm pretty sure had been sitting for a fairly decent amount of time at some point. Last tagged in 1985. I was very green (some would say still am) and it took me MONTHs to get that car to a semi reliable stage. I had to learn to rebuild distributors, carbs, flush fuel system, replace fuel lines, etc. etc. None of which I had ever done. To this day, I would be reluctant to drive this car across the state, let alone across the country.

Fast forward to this March. I bought a 60 from a fellow member here. I talked to him at length. Got history on mechanicals, upkeep, along with tons of pictures. When I got the car, it cranked on the first try, ran well and have had ZERO issues with it other than one day when the starter didnt turn over which I knew how to remedy. (due to knowledge gained over the last 2 1/2 years). I would drive this car anywhere for the most part. Limiting factors being it doesnt have AC and my back can only take the seats for so long before I would end up in serious pain. I would also ad that the latest car was owned and maintained by an ACVW mechanic for 20 years.

Two completely different cars and two completely different experiences, but with that said, I wouldn't have known to buy the second car and what to look for without the last few years of being here and hand on wrenching. So yeah, I still beleive that anyone that has little of no experience with these cars is a little foolish to take on a 2000 mile journey over some pretty desolate areas in a 60 year old car that they arent familiar with and may not have a clue how to work on or diagnose.

Now if the OP does have some mechanical experience, thats a plus. If he has a trunk load of tools and spares, thats a plus. If he has service manuals and perhaps the Muir book, getting better. If he has a network set up on his route so that he knows who and where to take the car if something does break beyond a fan belt or throttle cable, more so. Can it be done? Sure if proper planning and preparation are completed. Would I do it at my age? Maybe, but only under very certain circumstances.
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Assuming you are mechanically inclined and consider roadside repairs to be part of the adventure, I'd go for it. If not, there are much better options.

I've been on some pretty dicey cross country trips in my VW's including driving California to Alaska in December. None have been without surprises but all have resulted in stories, friends, and adventure that would not happen in a Honda.
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wow I'm dumb founded these cars where meant to drive not to sit in storage Sunday drivers I don't get it I think anyone a few spare parts can make this trip work if you have a good running car take a fan belt a throttle cable a clutch cable points condenser an a good small set of tools GO FOR IT

oh and if I was able to do this I would jump in my 1960 in a minute and make the trip

Yeah. What he said. Bring those parts and the appropriate tools. Shit, I'd drive my '57 bug across the country in a heartbeat. Look on this site for a car. ask questions on forums. Maybe someone knows the car that you're interested in.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Yeah. What he said. Bring those parts and the appropriate tools. Shit, I'd drive my '57 bug across the country in a heartbeat. Look on this site for a car. ask questions on forums. Maybe someone knows the car that you're interested in.

you need a book to (how to keep your volkswagen alive ) by john muir
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Oh God, go for it. Why pass up an adventure?

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

DO IT! do it this year before you get put off or life gets in the way. there will not be a better time. it might not go as planned but you seem to be aware of that. after all; imagine buying the car, driving all that way and saying 'it never missed a beat and never even got a flat' where's the anecdotes and adventure in that journey?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country Drive Reply with quote

Sounds like it'll be a great trip. Here's my usual advice for hitting the road in a vintage VW (posted before in similar threads):

Carrying a selection of basic tools would be good. At a minimum include the following: 10mm, 13mm, 17mm & 19mm combination wrenches, phillips & flat-blade screwdrivers, a 3/8"-drive metric socket set, feeler gauges for points (.016") and valves (.006"), a medium-size adjustable wrench, pliers (regular & needle-nose), a flashlight, a small hammer, pocket knife or multi-tool, a tire gauge and medium-size vice grips. Also make sure that you have all the necessary tire changing tools & a good spare tire, a fan belt, an extra set of ignition points, a spare fuel filter, a few hose clamps and some extra fuel line. A couple of spare fresh-air hoses aren't a bad idea either (they can get thrashed by a snapped fan belt). And don't forget a qt. of oil, some shop towels, latex gloves and a roll of duct tape. Pack a copy of John Muir's 'Idiot Book' too. It'll talk you thru many 'fixes' in plain English.

As for preparation...change the oil, replace points & plugs and do a valve adjustment. Make sure the transmission oil is topped up. Check your spark plug wires for cracks and missing air seals. Check your brake linings and make sure that the brake fluid is clean and the reservoir is full. Also make sure that all your engine tin is fitted correctly and the engine compartment seal is in good shape.

Once on the road, check your oil level and tire pressure at least once a day.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: