Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More rust
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: More rust Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do you guys think I should do here, it’s in a tough spot to reach, under the passenger seat where the seat mount is welded on. I can either cut it out and reweld to get a wire wheel in there or treat it as best I can with naval jelly and then maybe a rust reformer.

Any other options I’m overlooking?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

Phosphoric acid products. Naval jelly is kind of old and expensive chemistry. Itw not "bad"....it has some phosphoric acid...but also has sulfuric acid and a bunch of polymer stuff......and its roughly 50 cents an ounce. You can buy a gallon of phosphoric acid product that (some of which like Jasco mix out to 2.5 to 3.0 gallons) is easier to use....and rinse away and neutralize.....for around 10 cents an ounce. Or you can get Kleen strips version of this at Home depot for about $15 a gallon. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

I have found that super coarse sand paper and manually rubbing down by hand can be quite effective in hard to read places, for example the air box on the nose. Sure it is slower than a wire drill bit but it can deliver decent results....
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

What you need to do is grow yourself some proper rust
I have plenty I can ship over the pond to you Smile

I wouldn't go cutting out steel to to gain access to that area. just clean up best you can, then treat and paint as mentioned.
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Phosphoric acid products. Naval jelly is kind of old and expensive chemistry. Itw not "bad"....it has some phosphoric acid...but also has sulfuric acid and a bunch of polymer stuff......and its roughly 50 cents an ounce. You can buy a gallon of phosphoric acid product that (some of which like Jasco mix out to 2.5 to 3.0 gallons) is easier to use....and rinse away and neutralize.....for around 10 cents an ounce. Or you can get Kleen strips version of this at Home depot for about $15 a gallon. Ray

Thanks Ray, I will look into that. Naval Jelly is kind of a pain to apply in some areas because it is so thick.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Thanks Ray, I will look into that. Naval Jelly is kind of a pain to apply in some areas because it is so thick.

Exactly....and because its so thick....its also hard to rinse away and/or neutralize.

This is not,saying naval jelly is bad. Its thick formula is really great for vertical surfaces you can reach. Water thin liquids work better in cracks and crevices where access is an issue. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

zerothehero wrote:
What you need to do is grow yourself some proper rust
I have plenty I can ship over the pond to you Smile

I wouldn't go cutting out steel to to gain access to that area. just clean up best you can, then treat and paint as mentioned.

lol, that is what I am trying to avoid! Trying to treat everything I can now, with the hope I won't have to do it again for quite a while at least...
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

Ok so it seems the bus has grown some real rust as zerothehero requested, in another tough to reach spot. I believe I can cut it out from under and reweld a patch, but I’m not so sure on the driver side (both sides have rust, passenger side is worse), at least with the nose intact, I may try to clean it up on the driver side best I can, treat multiple times inside and out and patch it with fiberglass and POR-15, but the driver side issue is smaller than the passenger side. It seems water has gotten in, and saturated the foam that is in that basin in the nose and the metal really suffered.

So again this is in the front of the bus in the basin of the nose, I can’t get a wire wheel in there at all, so I guest best option is sand paper and time right? Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

That's more like it Smile

Is the hole in the deformation panel?
Your best bet is to cut and weld from underneath as you suggested.

If it's the deformation panel you can replace the whole panel, which could be beneficial if it's all gone a bit crusty.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with a decent patch job to see you through the camping months.
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:

Ok so it seems the bus has grown some real rust as zerothehero requested..

Bitch, puhleaze! Laughing

I use Ospho which is very much like the surface prep that POR15 uses to etch bare metal & neutralize rust. Here’s the pedal pan after being treated with Ospho.

It looks like watered down Kryptonite in the bottle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

zerothehero wrote:
That's more like it Smile

Is the hole in the deformation panel?
Your best bet is to cut and weld from underneath as you suggested.

If it's the deformation panel you can replace the whole panel, which could be beneficial if it's all gone a bit crusty.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with a decent patch job to see you through the camping months.

Ya I believe it is all in the deformation panel, like the backside corner away from the bumper.

Wow you are right about replacing the panel, they are readily available from a few sites for pretty cheap, I would have never guessed. Thanks for the tip, another project at some point. Now that I know that I may just POR-15 all of it and patch it all with fiberglass until the winter. Super cool, thanks!
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: More rust Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
championbaum wrote:

Ok so it seems the bus has grown some real rust as zerothehero requested..

Bitch, puhleaze! Laughing

I use Ospho which is very much like the surface prep that POR15 uses to etch bare metal & neutralize rust. Here’s the pedal pan after being treated with Ospho.

It looks like watered down Kryptonite in the bottle.

Thanks, I am using phosphoric acid which I think is pretty similar to all of the prep/etching products. Green stuff, I do have the POR-15 products though, just haven't opened anything yet, plan to use it in that spot pictured and the battery trays. I need to take my pedal tray off to get to some of the spots I need to patch so I will probably treat that while its off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: