Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Are you all aware of the new Bostig header/cat combination, using a 2002-2007 non-turbo Mitsubishi lancer manifold?
https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000349766-RG9-SK-E-and-rockauto-order-list
(you'll need to set up Bostig Zendesk credentials to view this article, but it's worth it)
Not totally ready for market, but this is where things are going with the header/cat system.
kourt

Thanks for posting that Kourt!
First time I've seen this development, can hardly wait until it's available! Applause

Besides wanting a bit more power, the excess heat has been my biggest complaint about the Zetec.
Kudos to Jim for addressing this issue. One of the reasons I like the Bostig/Zetec platform are these continual upgrades to the conversion.

Any additional information about when the needed adaptor part it will be available? Price?
I don't do Facebook, so have not been able to follow any news from that source.

For those without a Bostig login here's the manifold. Jim has also developed a new heat shield to cover it.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2163836&jsn=262

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Has anyone installed an alloy(?) valve cover? I’ve needed to replace my valve cover gasket about once a year. I’ve heard the alloy cover helps but I’m also open to other ideas.
Thanks.

Yes, Signalocity used one on his fantastic build. Page three I believe.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592734&highlight=crunchie

That was a beautiful build! Thanks for the link.

JudoJeff wrote:

Jimf909, what happens to the cam cover gasket that it fails? These are pretty solid. I use a dab of RTV on each corner when re-installing the cover, and torque it down carefully.

After about 9 months or so I start to get oil seeping, typically at a corner. Last time it was the front, exhaust side. The RTV may be what it needs.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Are you all aware of the new Bostig header/cat combination, using a 2002-2007 non-turbo Mitsubishi lancer manifold?

https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000349766-RG9-SK-E-and-rockauto-order-list

(you'll need to set up Bostig Zendesk credentials to view this article, but it's worth it)

Not totally ready for market, but this is where things are going with the header/cat system.

kourt

This looks like it offers several key advantages over the current (mine is RG4) arrangement. The improved heat shield and increased clearance between the header and the engine cover are welcomed.

The manifold is quite a different shape (different tube lengths, etc.) so I wonder if performance is different and if it will require a different tune.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

The manifold is quite a different shape (different tube lengths, etc.) so I wonder if performance is different and if it will require a different tune.

Yep, that's the one thing good about the stock Zetec manifold, the tubes are all equal length like a header. Hopefully there won't be any performance penalty because I really like the lower profile.
The Bostig conversion exhaust system is so short anyway I can't imagine it being too big a deal.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: High Torque starter Reply with quote

I have the high torque SR0408X starter on my vehicles and love it. Note that the stock OEM starter can turn over the Zetec easily.

I'm providing this information for new folks who just don't know about these things. There are several threads here about them, if you'd like more information.

These are sold by many vendors, but I'd suggest going to the source:
Karl Mullendore
MoreTorque starter adaptors
Truckfridge fridges at the best prices!
www.westyventures.com

He sells the adapter plate and special plug you need:

The starter can be found in many junkyards for $25-$75, or purchase a remanufactured one through Rock Auto et al, $160-$200.

Here's vehicles that will have this starter:
1997-06 Jetta 1.9L 4cyl (Manual transmission only, not Automatic)
2001-04 Golf 1.9L 4cyl (Manual transmission only)
1998-06 Beetle 1.9L 4cyl (Manual transmission only)
1995-97 Passat & Cabrio 1.9L 4cyl (Manual transmission only)

Note: do not use the Valeo D7RS30, which may have been OEM for some of these models and shows as an interchange, as some have experience fit problems.

Installation is very easy, it will attach on the lower left with the provided bolt, and you file a notch in the upper right corner of the starter for the blue Bostig bolt. That's how the adapter plate goes on. The starter is then attached with the two studs/nuts. It takes a special plug, which you connect with provided crimp connector.

This starter is at least 2X more powerful than the stock one, and is actually fun to use!

Now, GoWesty sells a Chinese high torque starter which I won't recommend. I bought one and it burned up on the first start! (No, it was connected correctly) Cost me $50 to return it, and I still resent having to pay shipping both ways.
POS!

People with automatics should research what they need, or ask Karl. My understanding is you use an automatic adapter with the manual starter.

Edit: June 23, found out about this less expensive, does same job starter. $70/$200 for SR0408x

Complete setup available from Westyventures!
https://www.amazon.com/LActrical-TORQUE-STARTER-TRANSMISSION-WARRANTY/dp/B007ZJ7Z9S
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)

Last edited by JudoJeff on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Things to do BEFORE installing the engine Reply with quote

I posted this is on the Bostig website in days past, but I’m updating it here, where good photos explain some of these tasks. You may want to insert this into the Bostig installation manual.

Tasks to perform BEFORE installing the zetec

In the engine bay:

*Clean, paint, rustproof

Install muffler bracket

Install tach converter

Install the overflow bottle and bracket (Move to passenger side front?)

Build airbox. (Modify or stock?)

*Remove the old power steering reservoir bracket

*Clean the ground connections

*Move vacuum line onto the other side of the firewall
*Move power steering reservoir behind passenger side taillight.
*Trim the firewall on passenger side for better access.
*Install the fill tower (Put spacers behind it so cap is easy to take on/off)
*Drill hole for wiring harness
**If you’re removing the insulation above the transmission, now’s the time. I replaced with FatMat

On the zetec:
*Cut off the subcrankcase piece before installing the HCOP

Install the HCOP (prior to that, insert dipstick and mark where top fill will be)
(Use Fel-pro gasket OS 30831)
*Install the vacuum inlet
*Replace broken pulleys
*Replace water pump (optional, but inexpensive and easy to do)

*Check cam timing

Install the serpentine belt

Remove those useless and in the way bolts in front of the timing belt cover

*Check your fuel injectors. (Send out to Mr. Injector for rebuild?)

**IF you're replacing the timing belt, an engine stand gives open access. (Nice but not required) *Replace the crankshaft seal if you’re taking everything apart anyway. [Both the serpentine belt and timing belt replacement is easy with the engine in the van.  But a "dry run" helps in the learning process.]

Even if you disagree with my notes, or have to remove something because it's in the way, this is easier.  i.e. the coolant overflow bracket can be removed, and put back easily, but drilling the holes with the engine installed is a pita.

Any other hints?

Last edited by JudoJeff on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: High Torque starter Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:

This starter is at least 2X more powerful than the stock one, and is actually fun to use!

I have to ask...in what way is a starter actually fun to use? Smile
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Guybrush: I have to ask...in what way is a starter actually fun to use? Smile

It just sounds so cool! Like I stole it off a B-52's engine!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque starter Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
JudoJeff wrote:

I have to ask...in what way is a starter actually fun to use? Smile

If you'd push started as many vehicles as I have, you'd appreciate your starter more!!! Cool Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: High Torque starter Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

If you'd push started as many vehicles as I have, you'd appreciate your starter more!!! Cool Cool

Can't say that I have, this is the only VW I've ever owned Wink
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Has anyone used these motor mount adaptors and the MB three chamber mounts?
http://www.bostig.com/motor-mount-adapter-kit/
What's the benefit?

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Mstaboo,

Some folks have NVH issues and these help. Otherwise, waste of your $$$.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

New catifold comes with new muffler mounting plates. Thin one you have now, and a wide one that mounts back-to-back with thin one. This allows quick and easy muffler adjustments, or testing new styles of mufflers.

Wonder if it’ll be offered separately?

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Yep, that's the one thing good about the stock Zetec manifold, the tubes are all equal length like a header. Hopefully there won't be any performance penalty because I really like the lower profile.
The Bostig conversion exhaust system is so short anyway I can't imagine it being too big a deal.

Jim chimed I’m on the facebook page that while header shape eventually makes a difference, it’s not an issue at the power levels we run these at. It would be a different story if this was a 250 hp tuned Zetec.

That makes sense to me. I’d like to eventually install a catifold.

Abscate wrote:

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

RE: my air box insulation...the FatMat peeled on the top, and caused miss readings in the MAF. So don’t install it on the upper part.

Everywhere else it’s been fine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
RE: my air box insulation...the FatMat peeled on the top, and caused miss readings in the MAF. So don’t install it on the upper part.

Everywhere else it’s been fine.

Thanks! When I saw this thread pop up I was going to ask if the air box mod with intake through a tube was still desirable/recommended after six months (it's still on my to-do list).

JJ, do you still recommend this mod (with the revision posted above)?

Abscate wrote:

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I still like the air tube, just so long as the intake end is over the transmission, or some other dry area. I think it is quieter. My first trial failed miserably in a heavy rain, picking up the water off the tire.

Someday I'll pick up another airbox and do other things I've been thinking about.
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

For any who might be interested I picked up one of the Bostig Signal Converters and did not end up needing it. Would make someone a deal if they were looking:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212245

http://www.bostig.com/tachometer-signal-converter/
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here - heat shield Reply with quote

I was thankful TheSamba existed throughout my build. In fact I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger on a Bostig conversion if I hadn't been able to pore over build threads here. Here's a little something I can contribute back (note my build was RG6, so some things may have changed in the interim).

I did a lot of stuff at the same time as the conversion, so a lot could have gone wrong. I was delighted by the startup when it just caught and ran, and I had only very minor tweaks and adjustments to make. The one issue I did have to work on was NVH; in my '84 Westy the kitchenware and tools were in a sympathetic chorus with the engine.

Looking for contact between engine and lid I found a few things:

1) although I think I followed the manual carefully, as you can see from the image above, the indentation from the oil-cap handle showed that it contacted metal on the heat shield. I also found that one or two of my wire holders had already worked loose. Those wire holders depend on there being some chicken wire under the foam in the right places, or they will start to pull out of the foam. Two of mine had, since there didn't happen to be chicken-wire support in the right places. So, I had a slightly loose heat shield that was also misaligned by 1/2".

2) looking carefully, I also found a few other places where there was evidence the foam was compressed down on a few high points in the engine. I saw traces of the foam on these high points, as well as an indentation in the foam. These high places are circled in the following pic:

The high corner of the airbox was hitting, the flat of the cobra-head was grazing it, and the top panel of the MAF was pressing on it perhaps the hardest, and over its whole area. With the cobra-head, I found I just needed to make sure it was pressed all the way down on the throttle-body throat, and level. The other two areas needed foam carved away. I used a small, fine-tooth, flexible Japanese-style woodworker's saw, but a serrated knife would work. I snipped out chicken-wire where needed.

Then, I needed to refit the heat shield, correcting the alignment. I decided to do something experimental rather than re-use the Bostig method. I can report it's thoroughly tested over several years of hard driving. I used a through-bolt method instead of the wire hangers.

At Ace's open-stock fasteners, I found some hardware I vaguely knew existed, a "binding post", 3/16" by 1" in aluminum. It provided very shallow, flat heads, with no protruding nuts and washers on either side, and a spacing action that meant the foam wasn't being compressed. Here's the hardware:

I needed to take less than 1/8" off the length:

I clamped the heat shield in the corrected position and drilled 3/16 holes in the heat shield, through the foam, and though the fiberglass shell of the lid. I drilled the holes making sure they lined up in the lower valleys of the ribs of the engine lid. I then filled the posts with RTV to ensure the screws wouldn't back out with vibration, and secured them with small star washers and the slotted screw on the top side of the lid:

Here's the end result:

I was concerned the posts might conduct heat, and they do, but I've only seen the effect during heat soak, when I shut down and the heat collects up on the heat shield, and then only on the two screw-posts closest to the top of the manifold. I found some nomex cardstock on Ebay and taped some small squares of it over the bolt heads, down in the valley of the ribs. I don't think it's necessary, but it's peace of mind.

The end result? The excess vibration is gone. The engine is as civilized as the factory would wish, and the plates, forks and spoons are no longer talking to me.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Reck,
Nice write up, I like your ideas.

Note that you can hacksaw off the top of the oil fill cover, drops it about 1/2 inch.

If you feel your screws in the lid get too hot, I covered my lid with FatMat for sound deadening. Small pieces over screw heads would insulate them. Or even common duct tape. I don’t like getting burnt unexpectedly.

Some folks are shy about cutting the cobra head, but I trim and lower it quite a bit. Much more than the manual suggests. Just so long as the aircraft clamps fits, it’s fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: