Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Reck,
Nice write up, I like your ideas.

Note that you can hacksaw off the top of the oil fill cover, drops it about 1/2 inch.

If you feel your screws in the lid get too hot, I covered my lid with FatMat for sound deadening. Small pieces over screw heads would insulate them. Or even common duct tape. I don’t like getting burnt unexpectedly.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Replaced the plastic valve/cam cover with an aluminum Zetec valve cover from Ford Countour/Mystique. I’ve replaced the valve cover gasket at least every 10,000 miles (3x minimum, possible 4) due to leaks.

Ford Engine Valve Cover F6RZ-6582-BA 16V ZETEC Contour Mystique 2.0L
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283260574207

Oil cap
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5I9LA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_GkkFCbSQDD0Z4

Gasket (different from the plastic valve cover)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CLKMHS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_LzkFCb7W9SESC

VHT SP206 Blue Wrinkle Finish Paint - 11 fl. oz. Model: SP206
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W9868NO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OgAuCbAR8SF48

Why did I do that? It looks cool but also the plastic cover melted (see my upcoming post on the cracked exhaust manifold):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I painted the valve cover and used a sander to remove paint on the lettering...

The key missing part is the spacer in the lower right (the rubber o-ring comes with the gasket set). My shop (Eion’s Automotive) told me that they stacked two of the spacers pictured and they come from a Eurovan transmission. The purpose of the spacer is to keep the valve cover gasket from getting overly crushed.

Installed...

Measurements below...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

This isn’t a mod but I’ll post it here because it’s somewhat, sorta related to the catifold mod:

The obvious symptom was an exhaust leak where the cat bolts to the exhaust manifold. Upon further inspection there were also cracks in the exhaust manifold. Other symptoms may have been the melted valve cover and a melted PCV valve hose.

Last summer the CHT on the Ultragauge went over 240 (where I’ve set the alarm) heading up a steep grade out of the Columbia River gorge. I slowed down to about 40 mph to keep the CHT under 240. I emailed Jim and he said the temps were a bit high and suggested I send a datalog (I haven’t done that yet since CHTs are mostly under 220 and often less than 210 or 200).

I’m guessing that the exhaust leaks caused a lean condition that increased temps that’s a guess and may be backwards (would exhaust leaks actually lead to a rich mixture?). I’d love to hear theories.

For now, the manifold and Cat have been replaced (not with a catifold, just with good used parts). I’ll watch the temps and send a data log to Jim.

Cracked welds under each circle...

Flashlight illuminating the crack...

Not pictured, the exhaust leak between the manifold and the Cat.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

The blue cover looks great!
On mine I got a little bit of melting of the valve cover, but nothing like what happened to yours. Did yours have the little stock shield between the header shield and the valve cover?
Original setup '09

To help I made an extra little heat shield for the valve cover to add a little extra protection. You can see it in this pic by the Ford logo;

(after doing the Catifold upgrade I ended up removing both as they're no longer needed)
I only used the stock Focus exhaust header heat shield for a couple months and then switched to Bostig's SS one, so I can't comment on how the stock shield works over the long term, but there are many Bostig drivers using that stock setup without melted valve covers.

Wonder if the melting of your original cover was maybe due to extra heat caused by the shield you placed over the muffler? Maybe it kinda focused the heat from the cat and exhaust manifold instead of allowing it to escape past the muffler?
Maybe add the Lemmoncove muffler mod that moves the muffler away from the a/c compressor?

In any case, that new cover looks really good. I am curious if the metal cover will transfer addition heat from the head to the engine lid? Please let us know how it works out!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I've been investigating a Bostig/Zetec valve cover improvement.

My plastic valve cover was melted as well, on the exhaust side of the engine.

I think it happened as a result of heat accumulation from hot exhaust gases escaping from my original Bostig cat with the popped oxygen sensor bung. I ran the van for two days, around 500 miles, with an open cat in the engine bay. Sounded like a ricer car, and probably built up heat below the engine bay cover.

The result was a major oil leak from the valve cover.

I found a new plastic valve cover at the junkyard for $10, and saw some Contours there that had aluminum valve covers, but they were in terrible shape--oxidized.

These guys offer the Zetec DOHC valve cover already coated, in three colors, for $189 (current sale price), plus the proper gasket and spacers!

https://customledandcarbon.bigcartel.com/category/ford-focus-contour-powdercoated-valve-covers

I've gone ahead and ordered one because I'm curious, and my engine gets run hot all the time.

My Bostig catifold/RG9 exhaust is running fine now. I had to really double down on finding the oil leaks, and that resulted in new valve cover and gasket, new oil dipstick tube and gasket, and resealing the High Capacity Oil Pan. That latter job involved an experiment with using a paper gasket (Fel-Pro OS30831) for the main oil pan, a custom cut gasket for the access plate (using Fel-Pro bulk gasket material) and Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket to dress all the surfaces before bolting it up, with 2-stage torque on the bolts. The result was a good seal, easy cleanup, and a neater looking installation.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo, my valve cover did not have the mini-heat t you had. I had noticed that in one of your photos and thought that might be a good solution before I went with the aluminum valve cover.

Thanks for the ideas on the heat. I’ve run the van for three days and the CHT temps seem to be lower but it’s also been unusually cold here. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to exhaust leaks at the cat and at the broken welds in the manifold for the excess heat.

kourt, that’s a great deal on the valve cover with gasket and spacers. The spacers can be a challenge to find.

There’s a catifold in my future but the a/c line change adds some complexity to the project.

Abscate wrote:

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
...Cracked welds under each circle...

Flashlight illuminating the crack...

Not pictured, the exhaust leak between the manifold and the Cat.

I've been thinking about this issue with the Bostig conversions for some time now. I have an idea that may remove some of the trapped heat in the exhaust manifold area. Why not add a fresh air pipe / hose from the right pillar vent - maybe position the inlet high enough to receive some ram air? On the exit side, you could tap into the tail pipe at a angle. It may be necessary to neck down the tail pipe a little to increase velocity & reduce pressure. This would help pull the heat from the shroud around the manifold, which would need to completely be boxed around it. You could probably use some stainless steel wool around the small gaps. This setup would be passive, and it would automatically function as long as the engine is running. It would be even more effective with the cat inside generating more heat. I think I would also add a CHT or EGT sender & gauge to see what's going initially.

Anyway, just an idea for you bostig guys....

Last edited by tjet on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Wouldn’t be enough air flow to make a difference.

Running a cracked manifold will melt everything around it and asphyxiates you too.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

The idea would be to prevent a cracked manifold. I don't know what the temps are inside the shroud to cause the metal to discolor like that.
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Maybe add the Lemmoncove muffler mod that moves the muffler away from the a/c compressor?!

FWIW, I ought to mention that I'm somewhere around 40K on my Bostig and never any signs of damage to my original plastic valve cover, using the stock Ford manifold shield.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

great thread
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

I've been thinking about this issue with the Bostig conversions for some time now. I have an idea that may remove some of the trapped heat in the exhaust manifold area. Why not add a fresh air pipe / hose from the right pillar vent - maybe position the inlet high enough to receive some ram air? On the exit side, you could tap into the tail pipe at a angle. It may be necessary to neck down the tail pipe a little to increase velocity & reduce pressure. This would help pull the heat from the shroud around the manifold, which would need to completely be boxed around it. You could probably use some stainless steel wool around the small gaps. This setup would be passive, and it would automatically function as long as the engine is running. It would be even more effective with the cat inside generating more heat. I think I would also add a CHT or EGT sender & gauge to see what's going initially.

Anyway, just an idea for you bostig guys....

I’ve thought about increased airflow through this area but haven’t done anything about it. A ram arrangement or Venturi of some sort might be possibilities. I’m certainly not knowledgeable about airflow though, esp. at 70 mph.

In my case, CHTs were mostly in a very safe range of under 220* and a few times ran up to 240 or 245 for short periods of time. The exhaust leaks certainly contributed to the melting and likely exacerbated the high temps. I’ve got 2,000 miles and all seems to be well so far but summer temps with heavy loads up western passes will tell me more.

FWIW, the leaks were not causing dramatic noise increases. I can tell the difference now but it’s not night and day. I will be listening more closely now.

Abscate wrote:

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

RE: Moving power steering reservoir behind tail light.

While mine shows no wear or problems, someone else has had rubbing on the AGFA hose. My installation error! So use rounded scrap metal for mounting or cover the hose with a piece of scrap hose.

I still like it out of the way, but it's your decision to move it there. MsTaboo's installation has much better pictures.

Any other feedback? Learn from my screwups!
ZestyNora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Awesome thread folks - very helpful!

I thought at one time I saw a post in which someone had modified the oil dipstick in their Bostig so that it could be checked via the license plate (just like the stock setup). I know I read somewhere - perhaps the Bostig FAQ? - where Jim replied to this kind of question with an answer like "that is not necessary because you won't really need to check your oil much."

While I appreciate his confidence, this thread and others on TheSamba lead me to believe that checking the oil is important to do and should be done somewhat more often than other modern vehicles.

So has anyone seen or done this mod? Know anything about it? It would almost certainly involve some sort of custom work, I imagine. If there was a way to fill the oil from there as well that would be amazing but I think that is an unrealistic (and unnecessary) pipe dream.
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Obviously checking your oil is always a good idea. However, my Zetec burns no discernible oil and looks as clean as any other of my vehicles when it's time for changing. YMMV
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on my aluminum valve cover post I made earlier. The guys never shipped the valve cover, despite taking my money. I communicated with them and they even replied a few times, but never actually delivered. I wound up filing a claim with PayPal and got my money back that way. My plastic valve cover is working fine.

I posted a mod to the power steering plumbing and reservoir on the http://bostig.zendesk.com site (where that information really belongs). That mod seems to be going well.

kourt
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this bottle in this pic is Volkswagen or from the Ford/Bostig conversion ? Looking for one like this for my Subaru conversion.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Here is the coolant recovery tank:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-001-Coolant-Rese...&psc=1

Checking your oil is always a good thing. I check it before going on long trips, but I just usually look under the engine at the ground looking for any leaks. (Old Vw habit) My oil level hasn't moved.
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I wanted to follow up on my aluminum valve cover post I made earlier. The guys never shipped the valve cover, despite taking my money. I communicated with them and they even replied a few times, but never actually delivered. I wound up filing a claim with PayPal and got my money back that way. My plastic valve cover is working fine.

I posted a mod to the power steering plumbing and reservoir on the http://bostig.zendesk.com site (where that information really belongs). That mod seems to be going well.

kourt

Same here. I filed the PayPal claim and that got their attention. Terrible communication from strange email addresses. I'd stay away. However, I was lucky. It took months but they finally got one out to me.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

^^ TopBud........thank you for the link Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: