Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I painted the valve cover and used a sander to remove paint on the lettering...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Jim,
I was recently reviewing this thread and noticed something for the first time in this photo.
You seem to have two cables running to the the throttle body. Is one for cruise control?

If so, can you provide more info about your cruise setup? Is it part of the stock Vanagon system, or aftermarket?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

^^^ Ms Taboo, cable number two (hehe) is for the Rostra Universal CC. It routes to the control box mounted in the engine bay on the wall between the airbox and the blackbox of electrical connections. There's a wire harness running to a receiver box under the dash gauge cover. The RF controls are mounted on the steering wheel and transmit inputs to the receiver. Four years and running and it works great. One time I was frustrated that the control didn't engage the CC and discovered that I moved the antenna (a 12" or so length of wire) for the receiver while messing under the gauge cover. I repositioned it and all was well.

http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
I was hoping it was part of a stock cruise setup. Time to start saving money again. (although the new 10cent heater shutoff and that new shifter from T3 may come first!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Ha! Just the other day I was debating the tencent heater control valve v. the new shifter. We'll see how things play out in my brain. This is a case where neither is urgently needed and I may get distracted with other things that need to be done.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Also for Syncros, sealing the bell housing for water crossings.

And the new bell housing vent location.

Do you have a part # or source for the bellhousing seal? What kind of sealant did you use?
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to drive a bostig syncro for a week. Is it normal for the throttle pedal to be very stiff with less travel than stock? Any modification that fixes this?
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
I had the opportunity to drive a bostig syncro for a week. Is it normal for the throttle pedal to be very stiff with less travel than stock? Any modification that fixes this?

No, it's not normal. Something is binding or very poorly adjusted. I'd start with disconnecting the throttle cable at both ends and making sure it moves freely.

Robyn
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Yep, routing a 12' (?) long cable needs to be done correctly. When done right on a Bostig the gas pedal moves easily and for the full range.

Older versions of Bostigs had different cable setups and Jim now sells a teflon lined cable to address shortcomings. It could be that the van you drove needs this:

http://www.bostig.com/throttle-cable-for-v2-0-2010-retail-manual-syncro-bostig-conversions/

New for 2014, this teflon lined single piece cable has brass ends and hardware and is fully jacketed its entire length. Previous designs for the v2.0/2010 used the original Vanagon throttle cable housing, but this new design eliminates that entirely. Later 2010 single piece versions did not have the teflon lining which improves feel and lowers pedal resistance.

Abscate wrote:

jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I added a Wix inline coolant filter (thank you Bob in Portland). I always had crud in the overflow tank and now it's completely clean.

pros:
-cleaner coolant should improve the life of the water pump and radiators/heat exchangers
-the filter and mount dissipate a little extra heat

cons:
-extra work for water pump may shorten the life of the water pump
-a little time and $
-because the heat dissipation happens right before the coolant fill tower (where the temperature is taken for the dashboard temp needle) the needle sits farther to the left than normal, but you get used to it

Got the idea from this community post: http://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360038849291-coolong-system-bugs
I made a video on it including part #s: www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4klSRv8pf4

-------

Oh, and my throttle was very stiff until I "loosened" one of the throttle body springs by "moving it down to the next stop." It's still a fairly stiff pedal compared to a modern car, but I think it's reasonably similar to stock van pedal feel. The top of the throttle cable was rubbing pretty bad against the inside of the heat shield so I wrapped it with fuel line held on with a few zip ties. I have an auto trans for what that's worth (throttle cable routing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

How do you like your cast aluminum thermostat housing from Massive Speed?

(search for part MAEN'16478, as the direct URL has characters in it that prevent Samba from properly formatting)

I've had my Bostig for seven years. I had a Bostig billet aluminum thermostat housing, but the thermostat bolts seized, and I destroyed it while trying to extract the bolts.

I'm presently running an OEM style plastic thermostat housing, but I also own the Sólido Frio cast aluminum unit above. I haven't heard much about it from the Bostig crowd.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Kourt,
My thermostat screws were wrecked by me trying to remove them. Sent it off to Big Jim, who’s healing hands fixed it.

I have extra Ford tstat housings if you want them.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff. I'm going to run the plastic housing for a while to see how it goes. It's a Murray product.

I like this cast aluminum housing from Brazil, but it has some crude casting on the outside of the body. I'm going to just keep it in the van as a spare for now.

My old Bostig thermostat housing was good, but that screw design for the thermostat cover was a poor choice, in my opinion. Thermostats should be easy to replace, but those screws made me defer maintenance to the point that my thermostat failed and I was running 255 degree CHTs on the standard Stant 180 degree thermostat.

I've since put a new Stant 180 in there and have flushed with Thermocure. Now CHTs seldom get above 215 when cruising at 75 MPH.

kourt
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Oh good question kourt! I meant to do a video on it too but basically the job pretty quickly (with some hose clamp pliers, didn't have to drain/refill) and didn't really take any videos. Short answer, it's been great. Shipping took a while because their Brazilian mfg was on backorder.

I should look at it again to see if there are any signs of corrosion or loose bolts, but I just did a 1k road trip (hardly drove at all last year after installing it) and it was fine.

I had 1 stock plastic stat melt and leak, 2nd one was heading the same direction. Maybe that means I have a heat issue, but in general the van runs like a top (other than low mpg / smelly exhaust).

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'd never own a stock van again. Next time I'd look at MTDI and subaru, but the Bostig is so reliable it takes some of the excitement out of a road trip, in the very best way!

---------------------------

Oh and as an aside, I kept my blazecut after putting in the Bostig and after about 2 years, it blew after a drive on a hot day, sitting in the driveway. Don't really remember what it sounded like, fairly loud, but probably wouldn't hear it on a windy day on the freeway. Anyway, don't let it touch the cam gear cover...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

In your videos it looks like you're still running the old Focus headers/exhaust setup.

I've noticed in several Bostigs that the original Focus headers/exhaust setup contributes to pooling of heat near the forward part of the valve cover. This is usually expressed by warping of the valve cover, resulting in an oil leak. I think that same pooling may cause thermostat housing failures in the OEM plastic housing designs.

I remedied this heat pooling by going to the RG9 exhaust system. This system did reduce ambient air temperatures under the engine deck.

I replaced my valve cover with a junkyard find (Wrench-A-Part in SE Austin always has a few Ford Focus on the lot).

I'm about to take a trip down to PortA and we'll see how that affects the OEM plastic thermostat housing I still have on the van.

kourt
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

Yeah, there's no obvious warping, but after 2 new high quality valve cover gaskets I finally RTV'd the valve cover with gasket to stop it from leaking (quite a bit). $729 for the Bostig exhaust upgrade though, I don't see it happening. I'll need a transmission rebuild at some point I'm afraid. That is unless you want to help me rebuild mine? I'll trade you a Van Tracker for your help... eh? Pretty tempting... Very Happy I'm in South Austin and I looked real hard at your transmission rebuild thread, but I'm loathe to mess with anything since it's running so well. I ran the transmission dry (just in Park for a minute or so, 2nd dumbest thing I've ever done) and it whines a little in N, P, R, but has run fine for 3 years, so maybe its got years left.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

I think we can negotiate.

You provide a Van Tracker and some beer (porters and stouts preferred), and I will provide guidance and experience, and extra hands, for your transmission work when you need it. Contact me when you're ready to play. I have a "practice" transmission sitting under my workbench you can look at if you want. It's just a learning tool--mostly complete.

You'll never believe what happened to me last week at Wrench-A-Part. I was standing amid the 100+ wrecked cars in the imports section and I felt something under my feet. I looked down and saw that I was standing on an early Vanagon metal engine hatch cover. No Vanagon in sight, but I was standing on the only Vanagon part in that yard, by accident!

Stay in touch. Happy to help. PM me when you need some help.

kourt
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I think we can negotiate.

You provide a Van Tracker and some beer (porters and stouts preferred), and I will provide guidance and experience, and extra hands, for your transmission work when you need it.

That's awesome to find a metal decklid in a field with no vans : ). Man, I wish the Veedub junkyard was still around! I used to go over there and look around just for fun. I found a swivel seat and they let me have it for about 100 bucks. Had to cut it out with a cordless dremel, ha! If I'd known back then that metal lids were a thing, I would have looked at every van every time...

Thank you so much for the offer of guidance, I may take you up on that. And thank you for the conversation... I checked my exhaust manifold and THERE WAS A CRACK! Maybe that's why I melted 2 plastic housings... Rolling Eyes

I looked at my youtube again and I did make a video on that Frio Solido housing last year, I just lost track of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpWaXNYlDg
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversions - Post modifications here Reply with quote

While this isn't really a modification per se (included in new kits) I just upgraded my old 2010 billet thermostat housing / fill tower to the new setup.
https://www.bostig.com/rg7-billet-coolant-fill-tower-upgrade/

Old setup:

And the new:

This meant either changing back to the stock plastic Ford housing (which are known to fail) or spending a bit more money and getting a cast aluminum one from Brazil ($160). Unfortunately I missed out on getting one of Bostig's fancy billet housings (out of stock and Jim doesn't think he'll make any more) but those were $500 anyway.

The new housing is the same layout as the stock Ford thermostat housing and has the built-in bypass / recirculation of the heater line which the 2010 model didn't have.
(L to R) Stock Ford, Brazil, and 2010 Bostig.

I did use a couple Gates #26390 sleeves to match the 1-1/2" hoses to the 1-1/4" ports on the filler. Didn't like the idea of crushing the hoses to fit.

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of new filler setup.
Along with Vanistan's new self bleeding heater shutoff valve: https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/t3-vanagon-front-heater-valve/
the refilling and bleeding of the cooling system was very simple.

If you have an older Bostig conversion I highly recommend this upgrade.
Now I just want to find a decent aluminum overflow tank to replace the plastic one. I like the idea of getting one with a sight glass or level indicator.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: