Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

I am sorry in advance if my post is pretty confusing, but I don't have an idea of how to describe it better, I do have a 1974 bus and I am trying to install the original switch since the PO did a mess, he installed a horrendous switch that hangs from the dashboard, I thought would be just a quick fix installing the new lock cilinder in the barrel, but for my surprise I found out that the nylon push-on part with connectors that sits behind the lock cylinder into which the ignition key is inserted is missing, so is the next part that has the wires going to the different parts around the bus (starter etc) I am seriously confused because looking around for the right part there are two types, one that is identified as the one for buses from 1974 to 1979, however, this part leaves no room for the next part that holds the wires to fit inside the frame case that attaches to the steering wheel shaft, to make things more confusing, theres another part listed as for buses from 1970 to 1974 that comes with the wires already coming out from the piece that hooks to the lock cylinder, how can I know which part is the one that I need before I place the order?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

what date was your bus made and what is the VIN?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

Is the signal and wiper switches part of the ignition switch housing, or are they a separate unit mounted above it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Is the signal and wiper switches part of the ignition switch housing, or are they a separate unit mounted above it?

Hi busdaddy, they are independent, the ignition switch housing has only all the switch components.
sioux888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what date washi your bus made and what is the VIN?

Hi SGKent, that's one of the biggest issues I got, my ID plate is missing, I know is a 1974 but that's it, you think with the VIN number engraved in the chassis can I pull out any info?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

sioux888 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Hi busdaddy, they are independent, the ignition switch housing has only all the switch components.

Then you need the 71-74 style switch, the 74-79 won't fit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: