Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the update! Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

calebthebaeleb wrote:
I used weedwhacker line, carb cleaner, and an air compressor to remove a blockage that was in the metal line running to the rear of the car.

It seems as though the mesh filter in the tank was removed in the past

The missing tank sock was probably the reason the line got plugged. It was put there for a reason!
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
calebthebaeleb wrote:
I used weedwhacker line, carb cleaner, and an air compressor to remove a blockage that was in the metal line running to the rear of the car.

It seems as though the mesh filter in the tank was removed in the past

The missing tank sock was probably the reason the line got plugged. It was put there for a reason!

For sure! That's on my list of replacements next time I have the tank out. I have to do a bit of steering work pretty soon so I'll make sure to get a new filter when I have it out. I may just do a whole fuel tank restoration too.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

calebthebaeleb wrote:

For sure! That's on my list of replacements next time I have the tank out. I have to do a bit of steering work pretty soon so I'll make sure to get a new filter when I have it out. I may just do a whole fuel tank restoration too.

You can also add in a fuel tap, so you can have a gallon reserve amount of fuel, and be able to shut off fuel flow when you need to remove the engine or replace the flexible fuel lines.
roger m prier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

make sure electromagnetic cutoff valve clicks when voltage is applied or swap out a manual type replacement
Saavedra R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

1966 Bug won't start unless you hold key down . When you let go of key car dies and blows fuse from 30 ignition switch to fuse box . I've already replaced Ignition switch and starter . Baffled please help.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle starts and dies after five seconds Reply with quote

Saavedra R wrote:
1966 Bug won't start unless you hold key down . When you let go of key car dies and blows fuse from 30 ignition switch to fuse box . I've already replaced Ignition switch and starter . Baffled please help.

Check the fuse box wiring and make it stock, so that the ignition is not fused.

Not sure what you mean by "hold key down". Ignition should have only three positions "Off", "Run", "Start".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: